Bad habits Basic Tutorial for beginners

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises

Moderator: MOD_Flashpoint

altipueri

Bad habits Basic Tutorial for beginners

Post by altipueri »

I followed Patton's instructions to drive down the road until I got blown up.

1st go - after2 turns (about 30 mins) the Reds had grabbed both the 500 point VPs so I did a rage quit.

2nd go - after remembering that NATO tanks can out range the Reds I got a decisive win.

3rd go - I played as the Reds and got a decisive win. The screen shot below should show the end point:

----
Oh sorry, no screen shot because I can't find where it is saved to.

You see, there are people more incompetent than you.
altipueri

Re: Bad habits Basic Tutorial for beginners

Post by altipueri »

After rooting around:

found it - drag and drop .....

Oh, file too large FFS.
altipueri

Post by altipueri »

Try again:
Tutorial #1 - The Basics @ 100_pc_1000_hrs01.jpg
Tutorial #1 - The Basics @ 100_pc_1000_hrs01.jpg (377.14 KiB) Viewed 1672 times
Attachments
Tutorial #1 - The Basics @ 100_pc_1000_hrs01.jpg
Tutorial #1 - The Basics @ 100_pc_1000_hrs01.jpg (377.14 KiB) Viewed 1672 times
altipueri

Post by altipueri »

Well that's another hour of my life gone but you have the same picture twice it seems.

Take my advice: RTFM :)
blond_knight_new

Post by blond_knight_new »

Ive played the basic tutorial twice as the US. The second time I tried keeping my tanks on the west side of the river to get that stand off range, to no avail. Both times my ACR and tanks are wiped out. It makes me think that the M1's are a little too "brittle" but maybe thats American bias. Or I suck.
altipueri

Post by altipueri »

Perhaps they were still too close? Mine were on the slightly raised ground just east of Marbach (can't read my own map!)

One lot was north of the east west road - the other south of it.

There's another reason why that worked for me but might be a spoiler for readers. Play as the Reds and you may then see why.
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

Guys, are you following along with the instructions set out in the Tutorial guide? It looks like you are just heading right into the objective area and getting hammered. The Tutorials are meant to be run based on the Tutorial PDF instructions as a teaching tool. It can work well if you dive right in and get those hard lessons of what not to do. Either way, these are scenarios meant to teach how to play the game.
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
blond_knight_new

Are you insinuating Sir, that I should read the directions? Scoff! I scoff at the very notion! ;)
Yeah, should probably do that.
altipueri

Post by altipueri »

Here was the end of my NATO victory - both 500 VPs and note where my tanks are.
Tutorial #1 - The Basics 221123_1748 @ 97_pct__0952_hrs @ 100_pc_1000_hrs.png
Tutorial #1 - The Basics 221123_1748 @ 97_pct__0952_hrs @ 100_pc_1000_hrs.png (129.29 KiB) Viewed 1569 times
altipueri

Post by altipueri »

Well that'll test your eyesight.

Fortunately I had my eyes tested yesterday - and I can see it.
sjwegmann

Post by sjwegmann »

I’ve done the tutorial three times now, once as NATO using tutorial instructions and twice with my own tactics.

I have lost all three times.

Yup.
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

Wait for the first patch. That fixes an issue with the tutorials where the 1500 VP Warsaw Pact flips to the WP incorrectly (not captured or influenced at the end of the game). My guess is you would have won a few times, minus this bug.

JPV511

Post by JPV511 »

blond_knight_new wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:47 pm Ive played the basic tutorial twice as the US. The second time I tried keeping my tanks on the west side of the river to get that stand off range, to no avail. Both times my ACR and tanks are wiped out. It makes me think that the M1's are a little too "brittle" but maybe thats American bias. Or I suck.
Take note of the concealment levels wherever you're setting up. That southern objective is pretty wide open; I've had good luck keeping my tanks and bradleys in the wooded area just west of it. I keep my other tanks in the city limits north of that same objective which is a very effective defensive position. I will also say that I've only been successful if I beat the Soviets to those defensive positions along the river, and from my experience this can only be achieved by giving 'hasty' movement orders, then I slaughter 'em in the kill zone. I hope this helps.
JPV511

Post by JPV511 »

CapnDarwin wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:02 pm Wait for the first patch. That fixes an issue with the tutorials where the 1500 VP Warsaw Pact flips to the WP incorrectly (not captured or influenced at the end of the game). My guess is you would have won a few times, minus this bug.
That's great news, because...
Attachments
WhyALoss2.png
WhyALoss2.png (6.19 MiB) Viewed 1426 times
blond_knight_new

I finally won the first tutorial by using smoke to block LOS for the Soviet units.
sjwegmann

Post by sjwegmann »

I won Tutorial #1! 2 stars, but it felt like a good win. If I had continued and grabbed the second VP in the city I would have improved my win but I was afraid that continuing I would've lost it all. Onward to tutorial 2.
Deadlifter14

Post by Deadlifter14 »

I did the Basic Tutorial just as the guide showed and got a contested result. I inflicted heavy losses but couldn't hold the two VP locations.

On a second run through I modified my approach and was more aggressive. I inflicted heavy losses on the Soviets but suffered a decisive loss due to losing the 1500 point objective and not having time to retake the two 500 pt VP objectives.

I guess my question is, is this meant to be a tough scenario? It looks like in the guide itself the tactics they used were not producing a favorable result.

It looks like some success is having the two armored plt further back than what the guide shows to outrange the Soviets?
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

The Tutorials are there to help teach the interface more than they are the best method for dealing with a scenario. Winning them is not as important as seeing what things do, how orders and SOPs function, and what overlays and information is important to view during a game. It may be worth trying different plans and approaches to see the impact of those changes.

Return to “After Action Report”