End of the Tournament and Winners Announcement

Check for announcements, organize your games, and post your results for the tournament here.

Moderator: Joel Billings

MaximKI

Post by MaximKI »

Hello everyone,

All good things must come to an end and today we announce that the Race for the Caucasus Tournament is now over! We want to thank all the players who have participated. We hope you enjoyed the format and the games.

No tournament can end without mentioning the top contestants.
Congratulations to K62 for taking 1st place and becoming the Steel Inferno Champion!
Congrats to beamslam for taking 2nd place, 821Bobo for 3rd, and Joch1955 for 4th!
WITE2_SI_TournamentTable_finalscore.jpg
WITE2_SI_TournamentTable_finalscore.jpg (441.84 KiB) Viewed 454 times
All your matches were exciting to watch and we hope that your competitive bouts were both entertaining and educational.

Top 4 players, please check your email for your rewards.

Again we want to thank all of you for participating and wish you all the best in future games!

Until next time,

- The Matrix team
HardLuckYetAgain

Re: End of the Tournament and Winners Announcement

Post by HardLuckYetAgain »

Congrats to all! And really wish there were more AAR's on the forum from these games :)
German Turn 1 opening moves. The post that keeps on giving https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... 1&t=390004
homer82

Post by homer82 »

Congrats guys!
SCPO USN (Ret.)
beamslam

Post by beamslam »

Thanks!
it was hard fought matches. Some was undecided until the end and some were decided in the first few turns. Great scenario, a mini Barbarossa campaign. Well it is a huge area but limited forces to begin with.
I didn't expect me to do as well as I did, but somehow my strategies worked in the situation, most of the time. Great fun :-)

Many thanks to my opponents too!

beamslam
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

Congratulations to those that made it to the final round of the tournament. K62's play was clearly exceptional.

I too wish there had been more AARs. I was lucky enough to be able to periodically download saves from the games to see how the tournament games were going, and several of the games came down to the wire. Several times the Axis player reached the outskirts of Grozny in October, only to find that the combination of mud, and the length of the front, kept them from being able to take the city. This proved to be the difference between victory and defeat in several games.

Thanks to Matrix for hosting this tournament, and to the participants.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
K62

Post by K62 »

First and foremost, I want to extend my gratitude to all of you who have expressed kind words and support, both here and on my AAR. I'd like to take this opportunity to also thank the tournament organizers for their tremendous effort in ensuring everything ran quite smoothly and fairly. It was a well orchestrated event.

I must commend my opponents as well for their good sportsmanship. It was an honor to compete against such skilled and honorable individuals. Our games were challenging and exciting, and I believe we all learned a great deal from each other.

Now, moving on to the RtC scenario.

I wholeheartedly agree with beamslam's take on it. The scenario, indeed, beautifully mirrors on a small-scale the main features of Operation Barbarossa. I daresay it even surpasses DSWF, claiming its position as the best of the small scenarios. The designers really knocked it out of the park with this one.

As for strategy, it is clear that the Axis side has a pronounced advantage in the initial turns, calling for an aggressive blitzkrieg attack, supported by meticulous logistics play. In this scenario, air supply becomes a paramount factor, even more so than in GC41. (Don't forget to put drop tanks on your transport planes!)

The Soviet side, on the other hand, requires a strategy built around distraction and delay, trying to avoid major encirclements while they marshal their forces. Counter-attacks are significant opportunities that cannot be overlooked; if the Soviets fail to capitalize on these, they risk allowing the Axis to waltz into Grozny long before the rains arrive.

To those who are considering giving the RtC scenario a spin, I'd suggest starting with a slight advantage for the Axis. (Removing the fog of war for both sides could be an easy way to achieve this.) However, as you grow more comfortable with the scenario, you might find it more challenging (and rewarding!) to give the Soviets a small advantage instead.

Again, thank you all for your support and encouragement. Let's keep playing, and most importantly, keep having fun!
"Power always thinks it has a great soul and vast views beyond the comprehension of the weak" - John Adams

Return to “Race for the Caucasus Tournament”