Tournament Chat Room

Check for announcements, organize your games, and post your results for the tournament here.

Moderator: Joel Billings

Joel Billings

Re: Tournament Chat Room

Post by Joel Billings »

Thanks for the info. The other game that has completed had the following score:

Soviet (k62) 3563 - German (Benassen) 265 13.4 to 1

The other games appear to be on turns 13, 15 and 16, so moving along nicely.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
Liverpoolpacket

Post by Liverpoolpacket »

Congrats to 821Bobo on your victory.

Score is at least the following may be worse for the Soviets.

German [1076] Soviet [787] Ratio .36 to 1 From start of Soviet turn turn 17.
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

Thanks for the info. The final official score I see on the server is:

German (821Bobo) 2977 - Soviet (Liverpoolpacket) 1085 2.7 to 1

So we have the following so far:

Soviet (verdugo94) 2787 - German (RooksAndKingz) 463 6.0 to 1

The other games are on turns 15 and 16, with one looking very close. Once those games are completed, we'll be able to set up the next round. Looks like that might happen sometime next week.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
821Bobo

Post by 821Bobo »

Liverpoolpacket wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:13 pm Congrats to 821Bobo on your victory.

Thanks for the game.
The final score is processed only after last Soviet turn and both sides got some additional points for the held Cities.
Attachments
round1.jpg
round1.jpg (336.08 KiB) Viewed 1093 times
terry1040

Post by terry1040 »

821Bobo wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:38 am
Liverpoolpacket wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:13 pm Congrats to 821Bobo on your victory.

Thanks for the game.
The final score is processed only after last Soviet turn and both sides got some additional points for the held Cities.
Wow!
Ax 2977 vs. Sov 1085
I am *very* impressed.
As the Axis-Player, how did you manage to go all the way to Baku? :o
In my game, there is heavy rain and mud all over, very difficult to maneuver. :D
Congratulations.
Please share your strategy in an AAR so that we all can learn from it. 8-)
Terry
821Bobo

Post by 821Bobo »

terry1040 wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:28 am I am *very* impressed.
As the Axis-Player, how did you manage to go all the way to Baku? :o
In my game, there is heavy rain and mud all over, very difficult to maneuver. :D
Congratulations.
Please share your strategy in an AAR so that we all can learn from it. 8-)
Terry

Don't know about the weather, in my game only few last turns were mud. But there is some randomness and I could have been just lucky and you unlucky.

My strategy was simple, speed is essential and I tried to advance as fast as possible to restrain Soviets from organizing solid defense.

With getting to Baku, certainly Soviet mistakes helped. No magic here, Soviets probably lacked units to cover it. Bulk of the army defended the ports, if have had been used to defend Baku I would not get it.
Attachments
T18end.jpg
T18end.jpg (328.01 KiB) Viewed 1063 times
Liverpoolpacket

His victory was a combination of his good play and my bad.
Specifically I fail in two areas:
1. I did not initially retreat properly, allowing for too much pocketing and no front line toward Baku.
2. I was slow to bring in reinforcements.

This does not take away from 821Babo playing well.
Joch1955

Post by Joch1955 »

My game with terry1040 is over. I made some mistakes, but the game turned out to be very interesting. Congrats to my opponent who kept up the pressure the whole game.
terry1040

Post by terry1040 »

Joch1955 wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 2:45 pm My game with terry1040 is over. I made some mistakes, but the game turned out to be very interesting. Congrats to my opponent who kept up the pressure the whole game.
Thanks for your kind words. You kept me always guessing where to strike next. :-)
The game ended with a Soviet Minor Victory. Axis 1340 VP - Soviet 1873 VP

I had some good progress in the beginning, but then made a couple of mistakes. Got bogged down in the Mud. Couldn't take Grozny which was well defended.

Then eventually I lost the city of Salsk during the final Soviet rush through the steppes. This was truly emberassing. :oops: I neglected the recon effort in the steppes over the last 3-4 turns and forgot to keep my rear guard.

In any case, *very* nice match. A lot of fun.
CONGRATULATIONS to Joch1955.
Well done and well deserved.
...and many thanks to Slitherine for organising the tournament. :D

Cheers
Terry
Attachments
EndGameSummary.jpg
EndGameSummary.jpg (561.17 KiB) Viewed 843 times
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

Thanks for the report. I had been watching that game closely as for quite some time it looked like it might be headed for a draw that could be decided by a few points. in the end, with Grozny held and Salsk being retaken the draw was not to be. This was the closest game of the tournament so far. The last outstanding game has just 2 full turns remaining, and the score doesn't look to be close. If that holds true, then terry1040 and Liverpoolpacket will advance to the next round along with the winners. Here's what we have so far:

Soviet (verdugo94) 2787 - German (RooksAndKingz) 463 6.0 to 1
Soviet (joch1955) 1873 - German (terry1040) 1340 1.3 to 1
S2Tanker winner by default
-- Soren Kierkegaard
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

Beamslam and I are unable to contact reapagan (our emails are coming back undelivered). Reapagan hasn't completed a turn since December 24. I see he's in Syracuse, New York so possibly he was impacted by the Christmas snowstorm. We hope he's ok. If anyone has any info on reapagan, please let us know. The game is only 2 turns from being completed, and the final score is not likely to change much from what is currently projected, but I'd rather hear from him before ending the game early. At the moment the score is projected to be 7 to 1 in Beamslam's favor, which would put k62 and beamslam as the top two finishers, and terry1040 and Liverpoolpacket as the top two losers who will advance to round 2 with all the winners. Hopefully we'll hear from reapagan soon. Congrats to all who will be advancing.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
beamslam

Post by beamslam »

As reapegan unfortunately did not do the last two turns, I will make a report of the match played so far.
The end result would be a major Soviet victory. The last two turns would not have changed the outcome much anyway.

The Axis plan appears to be an aggressive drive towards Astrakhan with a Pz Corps. And another trust towards Krasnodar and the objectives south of the Kuban river. Most of his infantry forces did make a sweep on a broad front and trying to destroy my center front, and likely aiming to break through and take objectives and attack me in the flanks and rear.

The dust clouds from the panzers moving across the Kalmykia steppe was discovered by recon planes, and Cossacks was ordered to move up from the south to have a closer look and maybe try to cut off supply lines. Like vice the supply lines was the target of interdiction missions by tac air. Also an Army was dispatched by train to Astrakhan to dig in there.

His trust went with god progress toward Krasnodar, where the city was soon isolated and later taken. Most of my reserves were directed to this area and defensive lines were set up in the hills and woods.

In the middle sector, my front was under a huge pressure. A fighting withdrawal was ordered. Most of my units managed to "survive" (barely) the onslaught and jumping from position to position backward to newly created depots. But soon had to give up those lines as well. Reinforcements and replacements were now directed to this sector. reapegan now appears to intend to use his central infantry formations to go south and possible threatening the objectives and flanks of my forces now holding a line along the Kuban river. By this time bad weather set in, and for the remaining time it was rain and mud on most of the map. The Axis central trust was now checked, and with reinforcements his forward units were later in danger of being isolated. Some were isolated by games end.

Meanwhile near Astrakhan, his attempt to take this city by a coup failed by the now dug in defenders. Another blitz move south towards the Grozny area was intercepted and halted by guard units and heavily bombed by A-20 bombers.
Most of this Pz. Corps suffered heavy losses, and was practically defeated.

The Axis move to take the Kuban peninsular and the coast objectives was going slowly forward. All Soviet planes in the area able to hold bombs or rockets were send in to hammer on the panzers. When the game ended little axis progress was made. Mud and rain did slow the last played turns.

Thanks Reapegan, for this very interesting match!

Map: Situation at turn 12, NOT when the match ended.
Attachments
Skærmbillede (214).png
Skærmbillede (214).png (3.98 MiB) Viewed 706 times
Skærmbillede (215).png
Skærmbillede (215).png (3.27 MiB) Viewed 706 times
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

Just a heads up that we'll be posting the final results of round 1 tomorrow (Wednesday), as well as the match-ups for round 2 which will begin immediately thereafter.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

Round 2 is off to a fast start after one week, as the 4 games are now between turns 6 and 9.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
terry1040

Post by terry1040 »

Joel Billings wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:40 pm Round 2 is off to a fast start after one week, as the 4 games are now between turns 6 and 9.
This just shows our dedication to the game and the tournament. It is a lot of fun. :lol:
However, I suggest that the 3rd round should focus on a different scenario.
I kind of learned my lessons with this one, ready to move on (in case i win :D ), especially as I am assigned to play the Axis side again! :shock:
Cheers
Terry
Liverpoolpacket

Hi folks thanks to the organizers, for their time and effort and to my opponents for not rubbing it in as they wipe the floor with me.

K62 currently has me next to wiped out and as I have surgery coming up and will be off-line for up to a week, should I just resign?
MaximKI

Post by MaximKI »

Hey Liverpoolpacket,

It's perfectly fine to resign, especially if you're feeling that there's little you can do to go for a victory.

Thanks for letting us know if the situation, we really appreciate it, and thanks for participating in the tournament!
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

Thanks for letting us know, and best of luck on your surgery.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
K62

Post by K62 »

I hope everything goes smoothly with your procedure. Thanks for a very interesting game.
"Power always thinks it has a great soul and vast views beyond the comprehension of the weak" - John Adams
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

A quick update. We have two winners so far in round 2.

821Bobo (Soviet) 2067 - S2Tanker (German) 1080 --- 1.9 to 1
k62 (German) 3079 – Liverpoolpacket (Soviet) 947 ---3.2 to 1

The other 2 games are up to turns 10 and 15.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

Return to “Race for the Caucasus Tournament”