Artillery and Bridges

Tech Support forum for Flashpoint Campaigns: Southern Storm

Moderator: MOD_Flashpoint

wandrr

Artillery and Bridges

Post by wandrr »

I have a question. Can an artillery bombardment destroy a bridge? How about even partial destruction such that it makes passage quite difficult? For that matter, can an intense bombardment make a road impassable?

This arises from the "Quietly flows the Donau" scenario where only one damaged bridge still exists across the river. It would seem that destroying the bridge would win the scenario unless the Czech amphibious vehicles can all get across. I tried repeated neutralizing bombardments as soon as the Arty unit arrived. I fired until the entire unit was out of ammo. I thought that 144 rounds of 155mm would do some pretty heavy damage to the already-weakened bridge, but no! All I did was waste all that artillery ammo. :cry: Are bombardment after effects not factored into the movement calculations?
Arnie
cbelva

Re: Artillery and Bridges

Post by cbelva »

Unfortunately no. At this time arty does not destroy or damage bridges.
Charles Belva
On Target Simulations LLC
WildCatNL

Post by WildCatNL »

wandrr wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:06 pm I have a question. Can an artillery bombardment destroy a bridge? How about even partial destruction such that it makes passage quite difficult? For that matter, can an intense bombardment make a road impassable?

This arises from the "Quietly flows the Donau" scenario where only one damaged bridge still exists across the river. It would seem that destroying the bridge would win the scenario unless the Czech amphibious vehicles can all get across. I tried repeated neutralizing bombardments as soon as the Arty unit arrived. I fired until the entire unit was out of ammo. I thought that 144 rounds of 155mm would do some pretty heavy damage to the already-weakened bridge, but no! All I did was waste all that artillery ammo. :cry: Are bombardment after effects not factored into the movement calculations?
Bridges cannot be destroyed by artillery (perhaps with the exception of a nuclear blast), nor be partially destructed. Bridges are hard to hit.
The Ludendorff / Remagen bridge was bombarded (up to 600mm mortars), bombed, and attacked by frogmen for 10 days without destroying the bridge. Of course, 1989 isn't 1945, but lacking precision guided munitions, you don't have much better 'tools' to take down the bridge, and a lot less time.

To destroy a bridge in this game, you need to get engineers on the bridge, and explicitly blow it.

An intense bombardment on a hex does result in reduced mobility in that hex. That's not reflected by the mobility value displayed, but is reflected by the number of craters placed in the hex. These craters are taken into account during movement, and slow down movement.
William
On Target Simulations LLC
wandrr

Post by wandrr »

Thanks, folks. As I thought.
Arnie

Return to “Tech Support”