Disarmament treaty.

Rule the Waves III is a simulation of naval ship design and construction, fleet management and naval warfare from 1890 to 1970. and will place you in the role of 'Grand Admiral' of a navy from the time when steam and iron dominated warship design up to the missile age.
stormbringer3

Disarmament treaty.

Post by stormbringer3 »

I'm in 1901 and just got hit with this. I had to scrap a bunch of ships. Is that always a given in this time period or is it a random event. Any thoughts on how much to build etc. in the early game to cope this would be greatly appreciated.
RHoenig

Re: Disarmament treaty.

Post by RHoenig »

AFAIK, they are pretty random.
You can usually influence if one fires (call for a conference or something) and then you have 2 or 3 options to influence the limits in tonnage, gun-caliber and duration - to be honest, I really love the new way they are done (they used to be just handed down by the game with no means to influence the treaty in any way, shape or form).
The terms are influenced by the year (harsher early on) and by how many treaties have been there already (1st harsher than 3rd)

They also used to be pretty much the only reason to ever rebuild capital ships in a major way (new engines, for example, used to be prohibitively expensive (1/3 to 1/2 of a new ship and then you'd still be stuck with a ship with the old armor torpedo protection, so you'd be much better off building new ships) and while engine-refits feel not _quite_ as expensive in RTW3, they are still pretty expensive, so these treaties are a perfect time to refit your big guys instead of scraping them and building new ones.

Also keep in mind that, if you're not a full democracy, you can go 10% over the treaty's displacement limit, like the German "10.000 ton" Deutschland class - ok, those were quite a bit more than 10% over.

As for early building, I'm going with relatively few but big, fast and well armored CA and B as soon as possible.
CA - 15 to 16k tons, 23 knots, at least 2" of armor (splinter proof) everywhere and good (6 to 8") armor on main belt/turrets.
B - 16 to 18k tons, 20 to 21 knots, more armor than above (belt at least 10" or it will be classed as a CA).
I also go with a main battery of 8", Quality -1 as main battery unless I can unlock larger Q-1 guns and lots and lots of 4" secondary and 3" tertiary (volume of fire approach) for the 16k design and lots of 6"/4" batteries for the 18k design.

Those ships usually stay competitive for a bit longer than your usual ~10,000 ton B and ~8,000 ton CA, the AI tends to build early on. Of course, once Dreadnoughts come around, they are, at best, second line units - but then, that's true for pretty much every pre-dreadnought.

I'm also a bit of a nutcase in foregoing CLs completely and only building (huge, powerful and very expensive) CAs -but that's a different story :)
"Tell the King: After the battle my head is at his disposal, during the battle he may allow me to use it!
GenLt. Seydlitz to Frederik the Great after disobeying an order to attack

R. Hoenig, Germany

Return to “Rule the Waves 3”