Officer Workaround

Rule the Waves III is a simulation of naval ship design and construction, fleet management and naval warfare from 1890 to 1970. and will place you in the role of 'Grand Admiral' of a navy from the time when steam and iron dominated warship design up to the missile age.
cwemyss

Officer Workaround

Post by cwemyss »

Having spent a few prestige points on moving officers around (and with precious little to spend thanks to Entente Cordiale), I came up with a workaround.

Create CL-level divisons, and name them Whatever. I chose "Imperial Naval Academy" and "Inspectorate of Shipyards" but "Out to pasture", "Stop bothering me", "Get the heck outta here" and "Sinecure 1/etc" would be just as acceptable. CL-level divisions can be commanded by O6 or O7 level officers, meaning when someone reveals themselves as an idiot you have a place to shuffle them off to.

I would absolutely love to see *actual* positions with game-mechanic impacts (great officer in BuOrd improves gun research, incompetent boob at BuEng means slow ships, etc), but this appears to be a workable first step.
Occasionally also known as cf_dallas
WilliamMiller

Re: Officer Workaround

Post by WilliamMiller »

A very inventive idea @cwemyss!
William Miller
NWS Administrator
Naval Warfare Simulations
https://www.navalwarfare.net/
eddieballgame

Post by eddieballgame »

Nice :)
varsovie

Post by varsovie »

cwemyss wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 2:11 pm
I would absolutely love to see *actual* positions with game-mechanic impacts (great officer in BuOrd improves gun research, incompetent boob at BuEng means slow ships, etc), but this appears to be a workable first step.
Yeah...

The dev will then implement an office politic system where you HAVE to put the degenerates 5th cousin of the Kaiser in a position of worth. To avoid being f* over, you put him in general intendance, and he'll order pink uniforms and watersolube paint for your keels. And since this one is friend with Kaptain Idiot, you get hit by prestige cost and ersatz coffee if you don't make him captain of your newest BB...

IRL shuffling bad officers to "desk" jobs or "early retirement" is a viable tactic, but often happens only after a war has started. Stalin had a more expeditive method.
MaddogStarman

Post by MaddogStarman »

Sir cwemyss

Awesome work around. I salute you, sir.🫡. < This is supposed to be salute emoji for whatever reason it appears as a? How bizarre 🤪 O'7
Some folks had mentioned Staff Admirals influence on tech if that is possible in the game mechanics it would be a great addition as I am playing Japanese empire 1890 start date and in 1900 I acquired Staff Admiral Kawai > Above average, Wiley, torpedo expert. It would have been nice to have sent him to the Imperial Navies Torpedo development center 😎. Just one more thought also, if possible, game wise, send gifted admiral to teach at The Imperial Naval Academy to improve cadet performance, quality 😀
I Love the game as it is but at the same time, I have high hopes as to where the game could be.
Please accept my thanks on the game and job Well done. O'7

Return to “Rule the Waves 3”