Frequency Non-Player Nations at War

Rule the Waves III is a simulation of naval ship design and construction, fleet management and naval warfare from 1890 to 1970. and will place you in the role of 'Grand Admiral' of a navy from the time when steam and iron dominated warship design up to the missile age.
vonwike1

Frequency Non-Player Nations at War

Post by vonwike1 »

Good morning!

I've binged a ridiculous amount on this game since it released. I've started several playthroughs, different nations, mostly Japan, I've gotten to Mid 1920s on a few of my on-going games.

In all of these games I've noted that the world is full of peace loving, friendly, un-warlike nations. If I combine all my games, there has been one war between non-player nations out of nearly two-hundred years of game years. Once again, on my latest game, there hasn't been a non-player war and its 1905. I've been at war plenty, which is great, since I mostly can influence that.

I didn't notice a setting to perhaps increase tension rates, since its rather bland be the only nation at war. For the single non-player war that occurred I found that engaging, interesting and more enjoyable.

Do other folks experience a free-love, good-will, non-violent world as well in your games? Thanks for any insights!

Amazing game, nonetheless.
Garwin

Re: Frequency Non-Player Nations at War

Post by Garwin »

When you get different options that can increase your budget for costs of increased tension what do you usually choose?
dorn
NWS beta tester
vonwike1

Post by vonwike1 »

Garwin wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 5:38 pm When you get different options that can increase your budget for costs of increased tension what do you usually choose?
Hello! Thank you for responding to my post.

I always select +budget +tension for my choices. The only exception is if I feel I'm about to get dog piled by more than two nations. As Japan, I'm able to easily defeat China, and after several years in, I'm able to handle Russia without much substantial loss. At the moment, 1906, I'm fighting Russian and France, and at around 1am in the morning, an enormous fleet battle occurred against Russia. I tell you, I was up to 3:30am. Insane. The result was an epic victory for Japan. There were 12 plus Bs, boat loads of CAs for Russia but I turned it into a knife fight with CLs and DDs along with robust CA support. Torp Tech!!

Anyway, I digress. The game is amazing. A reason I bring up the this battle is that I obviously built up lots of tension in the world. Currently, G.B. is at tension level 17 and 18 respectively with two other nations, France, 10, 17, 15, 12 with several nations. U.S. 15, 15. This in fact is the highest tension I've seen in the world overall to date. Non-player nations just don't' seem to pull the trigger with other NP nations.

Thanks again, sorry for the text wall.
Kriegsspieler

Post by Kriegsspieler »

I find the level of AI-on-AI warfare is adequate from the run-throughs I've seen so far. I've played as a number of different countries -- Italy, Germany, France, USA -- so I don't think what I have seen is a result of sampling bias.

What I find somewhat more questionable is the system of alliances between AI countries. The AI seems to leap to making alliance agreements as often as possible. I don't mind that AI countries form alliances, of course. To not let them do so exposes them to being picked off one-by-one by the human player, so that's fine. What might need tweaking, though, is the complicated system of alliances that form. These tend to make many wars blow up into mini world wars, with 4, 5, and even 6 countries in there swinging.

I'm not sure what the fix for this would be. I can easily imagine that turning the "alliance dial" down in the game engine would have bad consequences in the other direction.
WilliamMiller

Post by WilliamMiller »

It is of course a balancing act overall, and quite possibly we have/may make adjustments from time-to-time if things seem not quite right.

Thanks!
William Miller
NWS Administrator
Naval Warfare Simulations
https://www.navalwarfare.net/
vonwike1

Post by vonwike1 »

WilliamMiller wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 1:41 am It is of course a balancing act overall, and quite possibly we have/may make adjustments from time-to-time if things seem not quite right.

Thanks!
Thank you for responding to my post! I recently started a German playthrough. I continued with my tension building ways and noticed a rather dramatic difference in world tension growing and wars starting. Not too far in and already there are more wars than I've seen in my Japan playthroughs up into the 1920s. Does the theatre of the world make a difference in some way? That would be cool, actually, since Japan is kind of out of the way to start and only has China and usually Russia as usual suspects where as Europe had built a some tasty animosities between nations by 1890.
varsovie

Post by varsovie »

Kriegsspieler wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 4:40 pm . What might need tweaking, though, is the complicated system of alliances that form. These tend to make many wars blow up into mini world wars, with 4, 5, and even 6 countries in there swinging.
There as been two world war rigth in the time period of the game, therefore I think 1 to 3 world war per full game is realistic.

I wonder if the devs have compiled stats on the frequency, length and effect of AI wars.

Return to “Rule the Waves 3”