Late game critique

Rule the Waves III is a simulation of naval ship design and construction, fleet management and naval warfare from 1890 to 1970. and will place you in the role of 'Grand Admiral' of a navy from the time when steam and iron dominated warship design up to the missile age.
Searry

Late game critique

Post by Searry »

Constantly pushing for better heavy jet fighters and light jet fighters guarantees you to always have an unmatched air superiority since those late game air fights are so brutal and fast. The AI still puts it's time into useless stuff like fighters, floating boats, patrol aicraft, etc. The only things worth focusing on are really Heavy jet fighter, light jet fighter, jet attack.

The AI also keeps a lot of BBs around wasting their budget on this obsolescent ship. I think what it should do is prioritise the latest models to be kept around for future missile platforms. Same things with CA, just keep the latest models.
I think light cruisers are in a bit of a limbo before lsam and mssm.

The ai could refocus on DDs as mass missile attack boats since what do you achieve with torpedoes in a late war? A quite rare hit when all missiles are spent.

Instead of wasting the budget, the AI could rethink it's focus on achieving the all important air superiority by combining light carriers with super carriers and all sizes of missile ships protecting this main striking force.

Right now late game is just blowing up the enemy with missiles and unmatched air power.
-Flashpoint Campaigns Southern Storm Beta Tester
-Rule The Waves 3 Beta Tester
MaximKI

Re: Late game critique

Post by MaximKI »

Thanks for the feedback. Do you have a save and screenshots that you could share that illustrate your point about the AI and its designs?
thedoctorking

Post by thedoctorking »

I think it is worth having naval patrol and (maybe) medium bomber in the late game because they have super long ranges both for search and for attack using ASM. So they can get enemy ships without having to tangle with the jet fighter CAP. Think Backfires coming down from the Kola Peninsula to beat the Yankee CVNs into submission with cruise missiles.

Another nice thing is that you can run out of PGM in a long war. Russians have been finding out about that in Ukraine.

This is more of a Command: thing, though.
Searry

Post by Searry »

Actually I think the AI doesn't realize early enough that it needs to modernise and keeps building inefficient ships even during the 60s. This leads to destruction very easily. Also it doesn't seem to understand that initiating the missile spam first results in a likelier victory. It also creates the wrong plane types into the 50s and 60s. Medium bombers are still good if they have 2 hssm. Keeping just a few BCs around could be enough.
Look at the almanac and what ships Japan has lost and destroyed after missiles got invented. The obsolete aicrafts are a good look as well.

I play on rear admiral.

I have no screenshots. It also might be that maybe the AI is not intelligent enough to take advantage of what capabilities it has on their ships instead of building the wrong types of ships as well.
Game2.7z
(4.8 MiB) Downloaded 9 times
WLRoo

Post by WLRoo »

I think the devs may have tweaked the AI a little, as the game was criticised as being too quick to discard the BB and BC in RtW2.

Looks like they may have gone a little too far the other way.
Searry

Post by Searry »

WLRoo wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:02 am I think the devs may have tweaked the AI a little, as the game was criticised as being too quick to discard the BB and BC in RtW2.

Looks like they may have gone a little too far the other way.
They are only good as missile platforms later. Not much else.
MaximKI

Post by MaximKI »

Thanks, we'll consider this for future.
Bigfish

Post by Bigfish »

I think late game air combat is completely wrong. It is still simulated like air combat in the 30s and 40s, but jet aircraft combat is completely different than turboprop aircraft combat.

For example, search aircraft are still flying in search circles - modern AWACS doesn't work like that. You would have to recognize the AWACS at work, for example, by a radar range circle "far out" flying loops. This is not the case.

CAP should always be multiple groups of two or four fighters, which fly loops between the suspected enemy position and their own bases. This is not the case. Fighters in jet age should not have a divsion which they protect – they should protect everything while they far out attacking everything coming in.
WLRoo

Post by WLRoo »

BARCAP is not a technique you can research in game, so you're stuck with standard CAP.
WilliamMiller

Post by WilliamMiller »

Thanks for the feedback! The late game is something we are keen on improving as its the most complex area of the game.
William Miller
NWS Administrator
Naval Warfare Simulations
https://www.navalwarfare.net/

Return to “Rule the Waves 3”