Multiplayer

Rule the Waves III is a simulation of naval ship design and construction, fleet management and naval warfare from 1890 to 1970. and will place you in the role of 'Grand Admiral' of a navy from the time when steam and iron dominated warship design up to the missile age.
Hoplite1963

Multiplayer

Post by Hoplite1963 »

Hi
Is there provision for PBEM and hot seat play in this game ?
pz501

Re: Multiplayer

Post by pz501 »

Hoplite1963 wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:44 pm Hi
Is there provision for PBEM and hot seat play in this game ?
No naval sim done by NWS to my knowledge has ever had multi-play, hot seat, or PBEM features. This includes Steam & Iron, Russo-Japanese War, Rule The Waves, and Rule The Waves 2. All of them have been player vs AI, which actually is pretty good when it comes to making tactical decisions.
Hoplite1963

Post by Hoplite1963 »

Pity but as you say that is the way they have always done things, so not one for me I think.

Many thanks
Ian
pz501

Post by pz501 »

Hoplite1963 wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:49 pm Pity but as you say that is the way they have always done things, so not one for me I think.

Many thanks
Ian
Just clarify a little, in RTW2 the monthly strategic turns and the tactical battles are all vs the AI. No multi player, hotseat ot PBEM.

However, I think the AI does a good job strategically. And in tactical battles it is very good; making decisions based on the situation, and seeming to react as that situation changes. It will run when necessary, and appears to make the attempt to find optimal engagement ranges and angles.

Of course nothing can replace (or be as tricky as) a human, but the RTW system is worthy of consideration.

I hope this clears up things a bit more.
nukkxx5058

Post by nukkxx5058 »

Lack of PBEM is what prevented me from buying it. Otherwise I would have, as it looks real good. It's just that I cannot stand anymore to play against a machine ... It's not the fact that AI is dumb or weak, it just because it's cold, emotionless, boring. I don't buy solo-only games anymore :-(
Winner of the first edition of the Command: Modern Operations COMPLEX PBEM Tournament (IKE) (April 2022) :-)

Return to “Rule the Waves 3”