Interesting, but...

Rule the Waves III is a simulation of naval ship design and construction, fleet management and naval warfare from 1890 to 1970. and will place you in the role of 'Grand Admiral' of a navy from the time when steam and iron dominated warship design up to the missile age.
Rising-Sun

Interesting, but...

Post by Rising-Sun »

Been looking for a good naval simulator, as long i can setup custom battles and get a full combat report after the engagement. Also would like to have more control over custom battle before i launch it, for example, how much ammos left, fuel, damage as well devices are disabled or destroyed.

I want something that will help me carry out engagements for War in the Pacific 2nd Edition board game!
WilliamMiller

Re: Interesting, but...

Post by WilliamMiller »

Hello Rising-Sun,

RTW3 does not allow for 'custom battle generation' as it is more of a long-term simulation of running a Navy, with all that entails. There are of course wars and tactical battles, but those are generated based on the current political and military situation. You can, as head of your particular Navy, hold "fleet exercise" combat for your naval forces but those involve only your forces in mock combat (as was done historically).

Thanks!
William Miller
NWS Administrator
Naval Warfare Simulations
https://www.navalwarfare.net/
76mm

Post by 76mm »

This is exactly what I would want as well--a "sandbox" mode that allows you to create ships and then pit them against each other in a battle without the campaign/strategy part. Since both designing ships and tactical battles are already part of the game, I've been hoping that this sandbox mode would be a natural extension, but it doesn't look like you're ever going to add it. Oh well, I'll just stick to board/miniatures games for this kind of thing.
WilliamMiller

Post by WilliamMiller »

This is something we can consider for the future..as they say "never say never"... ;)
William Miller
NWS Administrator
Naval Warfare Simulations
https://www.navalwarfare.net/
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

I have been hoping for this since Steam & Iron development stopped. I would just like to sandbox historical ships with maybe slight modifications. Never played any of the RTWs.
EwaldvonKleist

Post by EwaldvonKleist »

WilliamMiller wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:53 pm This is something we can consider for the future..as they say "never say never"... ;)
I agree with the OP. An editor for custom battles would be a great addition to this game. While the comic below has a lot of truth in it, it seems like it could be added easily to this game.

varsovie

Post by varsovie »

WilliamMiller wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:53 pm This is something we can consider for the future..as they say "never say never"... ;)
They will NEVER make such a mode MULTIPLAYER...
Gratuitous Wave Battles

( for those who did not get the reference wikipedia.org/wiki/Gratuitous_Space_Battles )
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

EwaldvonKleist wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 1:05 pm
I agree with the OP. An editor for custom battles would be a great addition to this game. While the comic below has a lot of truth in it, it seems like it could be added easily to this game.
It can't be too impossible. They started with Steam and Iron and turned that sandbox game into RtW. Just reverse the process.
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

If you look down through the forum, it seems there's more than just a few wishing and hoping. My basic wish is just bring some of the combat advancements from RtW1/2/3 to Steam and Iron.
EwaldvonKleist

Post by EwaldvonKleist »

thewood1 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 11:29 pm
EwaldvonKleist wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 1:05 pm
It can't be too impossible. They started with Steam and Iron and turned that sandbox game into RtW. Just reverse the process.
True, this looks like a "high demand, very low effort" addition to the game.

Return to “Rule the Waves 3”