AAR my Rebels against Pionpion's Yanks

Please post your after action reports on your battles and campaigns here.
LoneRunner

Re: AAR my Rebels against Pionpion's Yanks

Post by LoneRunner »

kennonlightfoot wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:49 pm Turn 12 Contd (MPP)

I have been having a problem trying to interpret how the game reports MPP.

The Screenshot below shows the MPP Graph on the turn that follows the MPP Collection dialog that pops up at end of the previous turn. I would have expected the numbers to match a bit better. It is also a little confusing because all the lines go to zero for the current turn so just ignore that.

The bottom of the image shows the screenshot of my end of turn supply production. It is pretty straight forward. My base supply is 719 MPP which is generated based on the cities I control. The next three number of MPP supplied to me by foreign countries. 17 from UK, 17 from Fr, 21 From Spain. This will increase or decrease based on their mobilization levels (which is also how favorable they are to the CSA). The 176 Cotton Sales is the result of my earlier decision to sell cotton. It will probably change when that runs out in September. The -100 for the CSS Virginia is the result of my decision to build the ironclad. Kentucky provides 18 MPP to both sides as long as its neutral. Mexico sends me another 50 through Texas.

This gives me a total income of 917 MPP. But that doesn't match the Report Graph "Collected Income" (Green line) which looks to be about1000. Right now, I assume the difference between the two values are due to Blockade runner income but can't easily verify that because the numbers aren't displayed just graph lines. Whoever made the graphs default to intervals like the "110" this one is using didn't help us much. ;)

Where they show the "Totals:" I wish they had included the last turn's.

When I show the MPP values for USA/CSA in my Report section I use the value I estimate from the Green line.

The other lines aren't quite as useful since they depend on what was happening each turn. The Spent (Blue) line tend to jump around a lot because it isn't showing all spending. I don't think includes what was used on Research. Just shows MPP used to purchase units. The Lost (Red) line of course depends on combat activity.
Great AAR Kennonlightfoot. I really like how you are explaining your thoughts behind the strategy.

Good screenshots. I recommend that you use PNG files for your images rather than JPG. The file will be slightly larger but the image will show more detail and be less blurry.

You are right. The MPP report could be improved. Random reference intervals like 110 makes no sense. Yes, providing last turn's MPPs would be wonderful. However, the report appears accurate based on the numbers you provided:

Base supply 719
UK 17
Fr 17
Spain 21
Cotton sales 176
Kentucky 18
Mexico 50
Total 1,018

The green line on the chart appears to show MPP income at 1,018. Notice that all MPP income is included on the green line including convoys without any deductions. For example, reported MPP income is not reduced by the Virginia, that would be in the blue line (spent).

Keep up the good work.
kennonlightfoot

Post by kennonlightfoot »

Turn 26 Dec 2nd

RP: Union caught my Navajos to far forward. They may be in trouble.

Reinf: Inf. Div.: 1 to Richmond, 1 to Memphis, 2 to Nashville, River Ironclad to Nashville, Cherokee Indian cavalry in Far West.

Reports: UK 19, Fr 16, Sp 22. Land: 67/65, Navy: 14/8.
Con: 420 (0), MPP: 1320/1200, FS: 99/96.

Research: 1 to Inf. Tactics, 1 to Inf. Equipment.

Rain in N. Va. and Snow in W. Va. so not much action in the East.

ET

Developed Corps so I can build 4. More than likely Union got the same by now.
Also, Research in Spying and Production Technology gained a level.

Out in Arizona I am still trying to take that lousy fort.
Turn 26 Az.jpg
Turn 26 Az.jpg (242.43 KiB) Viewed 1069 times
Kennon
kennonlightfoot

Turn 26 Contd

Here is why you don't want to forget to keep units next to the Partisan hexes.
Once these guys get on the map, it takes a lot of men to kill them. They usually don't have that much offensive power, but they can move around and lead your units on a merry chase.
Turn 26 Part.jpg
Turn 26 Part.jpg (228.48 KiB) Viewed 1064 times
Kennon
kennonlightfoot

Turn 24 Dec 24th

RP: Lot of attacks in Tennessee by Yanks in spite of rain.
I finally took a port, Apalachicola on Gulf side of Florida. Has little value but gives me a refueling station.

Reinf: Engineer to Richmond to start builging the trench lines.
Inf. Div. to Richmond and Nashville. Indians for the Far West. River Ironclad in Memphis.

Reports: Mexico Union 23%, Mex. Empire CSA 20%, UK 21, Fr 18, Sp 22. Land: 69/69. FS: 98/97.

Very little action for this winter month.
Mostly just strengthening my lines in Far West, Tennessee and Virginia.
I got upgrade Inf. Equipment which costs 10 for Reg, 20 for Brig, 30 for Div and 40 for Corps.
These upgrades can get quite expensive in MPP to do.
The fort one costs me 20 for each fort I upgrade.

The Inf. Equp. will increase the attack and defense factors by 1 for divisions.

Research: Chits to Prod. Tech. and Corps Org.

ET: Forgot to do my purchases.

This screenshot of one of my two Partisans in West Va. shows you why you don't want to accidently let one of these get created. Trying to kill it will probably occupy McClellan's little army for some turns. Trying to concentrate enough fire power to kill it without losing Beckley and Lewisburg will be difficult.
Turn 28 Part.jpg
Turn 28 Part.jpg (383.61 KiB) Viewed 1054 times
Kennon
kennonlightfoot

Turn 28 Contd.

This being the end of 1861 I am going to post a few status reports.

Here is a combined screenshot of Production for CSA (top) vs. USA (btm).

The green line for collected income while a little lower than the USA, is still holding up pretty good.
Likewise, it looks like my totals for Income, Spent and Lost are comparable.

But 1862 will be a bit tougher as the economic might of the US gets going.
Turn 28 MPP.jpg
Turn 28 MPP.jpg (297.46 KiB) Viewed 1051 times
Kennon
kennonlightfoot

Turn 28 Contd

One of the reasons I am doing so well Economically is my Convoy Income shown below. It makes up almost a third of my total MPP income. So far, the Union has started blocking it. This will change as they get their gunboats (very effective against trade) and marines to start taking out ports.
Turn 28 Convoys.jpg
Turn 28 Convoys.jpg (159.38 KiB) Viewed 1049 times
Kennon
kennonlightfoot

Turn 30 Feb 4th, 1862

Notice how the number of days between turns changes with about 6 weeks between my previous turn and this one. Winters are long in this war. :D

RP: They killed my Indian ally. Union advances into Kentucky.

Strategic Advice Message: If I maintain control of Memphis and Nashville, I will be able to sell cotton to the greedy North for extra 40 MPP each turn.

Ironclads are available for purchase. I usually only build Ironclads for the South. Three reasons for this. One they have the most bang for the MPP. The second is that they are more likely to survive a combat exchange and return to port to rebuild. And third the South doesn't have many ports so they can't handle many more than the 3 Ironclads I am allowed anyway.

Reports: Mexico: 23%, Mex. Empire 20%, UK 21, Fr 18, Sp 24. Land: 75/75, Navy: 16/10.
Convoy: 420 (0), MPP: 1310/1250, FS: 98/97.

I am not sure how Mexico fits into the game. It apparently can go to either side and maybe both. The Map display reports two numbers for them. Mexico which favors the Union. And the Mexican Empire (French invasion) which favors the South (if I am remembering my number order correctly).

Reinforcements: Inf. Div. to Savannah and Richmond. Two to Nashville.
Cavalry also to Nashville. Engineer to Nashville as well.
Good turn for reinforcements. My high MPP production is new paying off.

In Arkansas and New Mexico my forces are weak, so I am just trying to block them from getting to El Paso.
Snowing in Missouri and Kentucky so no actions there other than upgrading any units that can be.

This is the disadvantage of the left column research. It costs you again when you use it. For example, my upgrades to infantry units cost MPP of 10 for Regiments, 20 for Brigades, 30 for Divisions and 40 for Corps.
My Fortification upgrade costs 20 MPP for each fort that uses it.
Later when you have Equipment, Skirmisher and Scout upgrades available it can almost cost as much as a new unit to upgrade one. However, later in the game when you hit your limits on divisions and Corps you can build you won't have a lot of other use for the MPP. Especially, the North. South always has something they wish they could build.

Research: Chit into Leadership and Skirmishers.
Purchase: 2 Ironclads.

ET

I don't usually pay much attention to it but there is a "Strategic" map that shows forces across the entire US. It acts as a nice jump map for finding units that you don't always look at. It also gives you an idea of where the main battle lines are based on density of flags. As you can see in the screenshot below the main battle lines are western Kentucky and Northern Virginia.
Turn 30 Strategic Map.jpg
Turn 30 Strategic Map.jpg (345.42 KiB) Viewed 1035 times
Kennon
kennonlightfoot

Turn 32 Mar 18th, 1862

RP: Partisans still playing hell with Union in W. Va.
Snow in Kentucky but Union still attacked killing one of my Brigades.
Union still trying to reduce Ft. Pulaski with Frigates. It is wearing it down, but Gunboats do the job better.

Strategic Advice Message: Keep one unit within 5 hexes of DC to help counter the effects if Union declares Emancipation Proclamation. (Don't know how much this effect things. Suppose to reduce the loss of support from Europe when it occurs).

Decision: Send MG Van Dorn to El Paso to help hold it and maybe threaten New Mexico? Yes.
(This however weakens the Missouri/Arkansas line where he would have gone.)

Reinf: 2 Inf. Div to Richmond, one to Little Rock (make up for Van Dorn), one to Memphis, one to Nashville.
Submarine shows up in Charleston (now all I need is a Wolf Pack).

Reports: Mex 23/20, UK 25, Fr 20, Sp 25, Land: 79/79, Navy: 23/11.
Convoy: 450 (0 stopped), MPP: 1320/1280, FS 98/98.

Research: Chit to Skirmishers and Forts.
Purchased: 2 Corps.

ET
CSS Virginia is deployed in Norfolk.
California Column continues to advance. Hopefully Van Dorn will arrive first.

I believe my opponent doesn't realize he needs to turn on "Raider" on his ships to stop Blockade Runners. I sent him a message so I expect I will see some stoppage next time on Convoys. However, it looks like he has mostly Frigates which aren't very good at stopping Blockade Runners. Gunboats are the best for this.
Kennon
kennonlightfoot

Turn 34 Apr 19th 1862

RP: Union is now driving me back in Kentucky.
Frigates finally take out Ft. Pulaski. 3-4 Gunboats could have taken it out in one turn.
Frigates attack the base with only a percentage change of hitting in the fort (or ships if attacking a port).
Rain in Northern Viriginia limit activity there.

Reinf: River Timberclad at New Orleans.

Reports: Mex 23/20, UK 26, Fr 21, Sp 25. Land: 81/79. Navy: 24/13.
Convoy: 460 (0), MPP: 1310/1270, FS: 98/98.

CSS Virginia sorties and kills a gunboat. It took 2 damage from Union Monitor.
I try again to kill the Union regiment garrisoning Fort Arbuckle in the Indian Territory. Reduce it to a 3 but no kill.

Research: already maximum.

Purchase: Indian unit for the Far West, Ironclad, Inf. Corps.

ET
Van Dorn arrives in New Mexico with 1 cavalry and 2 infantry brigades.
Industrial Tech advances to Level 2.

Here is a screenshot of Kentucky at the start of my turn. Union seems to be putting a lot of weight into Eastern Kentucky. So, I am going to pull my line back behind the river just south of my men for a better defensive position. But I plan to hold on to western Tennessee around Paducah. Having ZOC on all these rivers that come together near Cairo is worth fighting for.
Turn 34 Ky at Start.jpg
Turn 34 Ky at Start.jpg (322.11 KiB) Viewed 1012 times
Kennon
kennonlightfoot

Turn 34 Contd.

This is a screenshot of my MPP production that occurs at the End of Turn. Looks like he has Raiding on now since there is some reduction in my Blockade Runner income. But Frigates aren't very good Raiders, so the damage is light. But with the fall of Ft. Pulaski, I will see my Savannah income disappear.
Turn 34 Blockade.jpg
Turn 34 Blockade.jpg (81.51 KiB) Viewed 1010 times
Kennon
kennonlightfoot

Turn 36 May 11, 1862

RP: Union continues to press my line in Kentucky in the Eastern part.
Ft. Pulaski falls which will hurt but impossible to prevent.
One of my River Ironclads got sunk. Must have overlocked moving it out of harm's way.

Reinf: None

Reports: Mex 23/20, UK 26, Fr 21, Sp 25. Land: 85/83, Navy: 24/12.
Convoy: 420 (30), MPP: 1520/1300, FS: 97/98.

Union now has Raiders on.

Mostly rebuild my units in Kentucky and fell back a little further to break contact.
Virginia also mostly upgrading Infantry to the latest rifles. :)
Moved one brigade by rail to Wilmington to help protect the port.

Research: Chit to Industrial Tech.
Purchase: Inf. Corps (last one of four I can have), River Ironclad.

ET
Savannah blocked as expected.
Califorinia Column has reached Tucson. Not sure how much longer it will take to get to Arizona.

Here is a screenshot of my Kentucky line. Mostly on defensive.
Turn 36 Ky.jpg
Turn 36 Ky.jpg (590.62 KiB) Viewed 1003 times
Kennon
kennonlightfoot

Turn 38 Jun 2, 1862.

RP: Union still trying to kill those two Partisans. Some attacks along the Kentucky line but no breaks in the line.

Reinf: Lee arrives to take command.

Reports: Mex 23/20, UK 26, Fr 21, Sp 27. Land: 85/84. Navy: 25/12.
Convoy: 380 (40). MPP: 1320/1280. FS: 97/98.

Rebuilt the CSS Virginia.
Sent my sub out in silent mode to see if that breaks blockade (doesn't).
Took Ft. Arbuckle in Indian Territory killing regiment there.
In Kentucky killed a division.

Research: Max
Purchased: Engineer, Inf. Div, Gunboat and River Gunboat.

Situation in Virginia and Western Virginia.
Turn 38 Va.jpg
Turn 38 Va.jpg (321.2 KiB) Viewed 955 times
Kennon
kennonlightfoot

Turn 40 Jun 24th, 1862

RP: Union still trying to kill those Partisans.

Reinf: None.

Reports: Mex 23/20. UK 26, Fr 22, Sp 27. Land: 85/84. Navy: 26/12.
Convoy: 360 (60), MPP: 1320/1260, FS: 96/98.

In Viginia I make an attack that kills a division but probably leaves me open to counter attack.

Research: Max.
Purchases: 2 Inf. Div.

In Kentucky I am mostly rebuilding and upgrading units. But it does look like the Union may be masing in central Kentucky for a counter attack.
Turn 40 Ky.jpg
Turn 40 Ky.jpg (350.06 KiB) Viewed 953 times
Kennon
kennonlightfoot

Turn 42 Jul 8, 1862

RP: Union finally killed one of the Partisans. Union made a amphibious landing in Texas but hasn't taken Galveston port yet.

Reinf: None.

Reports: Mex 23/20, UK 28, Fr 23, Sp 27. Land: 85/83. Navy: 26/12.
Convoy: 350 (70 stopped), MPP: 1330/1260, FS: 95/98.

I am not certain as to cause, but something is pulling the Union FS down below mine.

Rain in southern Missouri so no action there.
Rain in Viginia as well so no actions.

Sending a regiment from El Paso back to Texas to counter the invasion there.

New Mexico has become a stalemate. Neither of us have enough force to move the other. However, their California Column will probably come in on my left and force me back to defensive positions around El Paso.
Turn 42 Az.jpg
Turn 42 Az.jpg (273.22 KiB) Viewed 937 times
ET

Decision Event: Texas invasion will allow me to call for volunteers? Yes
This bought in four brigades. If I had known this, I wouldn't have sent a regiment. Note for Union players: Might not want to invade Texas.
Kennon
kennonlightfoot

End of AAR

I haven't heard from Pionpion so he has probably given up.
Correction: I have now received a move so will continue the AAR.

The main purpose of this AAR is to give other players some idea of the events and decisions they will have playing the South.

It is very helpful to decision making to know things like the Texas Call for Volunteers will happen if Texas is invaded.

My success in keeping my production almost equal to the Unions is a fluke. More experience players will quickly blockade Southern ports and start taking them out one by one with amphibious landings.

So far it looks like there is a definite advantage to the South if they have enough units on the Kentucky border to declare war on Kentucky so they can move first to occupy Kentucky. Even if it is only to trade space for time while they build up their army to defend Tennessee.

Likewise, it looks like the South doesn't have to worry to much about the Union advancing out of West Virginia. The two brigades that come in automatically in Southwest Viriginia can handle it.
Kennon
kennonlightfoot

Turn 44 Jul 22, 1862

RP: Partisans still fighting on. Lesson: Never allow them to form in the first place. To hard to kill.
Landing in Texas expands taking Houston but still haven't moved against Galveston.
Some attrition type attacks along the Kentucky line but no attempt to break through it.

Reinf: 2 Inf. Corps which go to Virginia.

Reports: Mex: 23/20, UK 28, Fr 23, Sp 28. Land: 89/91. Navy: 28/12.
Convoy: 360 (70 stopped), MPP: 1370/1260. FS: 95/98.

Not much action by my Rebs. Just upgrading infantry to Lev 2 Inf. Equip.

Research: Chit to Cavalry Equip.

Purchases: Inf. Corps.

ET
Kennon
kennonlightfoot

Turn 46 Aug 5, 1862.

RP: There are now 3 Marines in Texas.
I gained another Partisan in W. Va. Which answers the question, can the Partisan hexes keep generating new partisans every turn that there is no enemy unit next to the hex? Yes.
I think I spotted a River Tranport near Cairo. I am not sure what its destination is. For now I will assume it may be for amphibious landing.
The Union California Column has arrived in Arizona.

Reinf: River Gunboat at Memphis.

Reports: Mex: 23/20, UK 28, Fr 23, Sp 29. Land: 92/93. Navy: 28/13.
Convoy: 370 (60 stopped), MPP: 1330/1260. FS: 94/98.

Raining in Viriginia so just upgrading my line.

Research: Chit to Cav. Equipment, Scouts and Corps Organization.
Purchases: No point left.

The Union got to far away from the Partisan hex next to Charleston so I got another one there who moved into Charleston last turn. Resulting in this situation now:
Turn 46 Part.jpg
Turn 46 Part.jpg (293.16 KiB) Viewed 894 times
In Texas the volunteers raised by their invasion with the added support of a ranger unit moving down from Indian Territory are slowly closing in and cutting off the Union Marines. Also, sending an Indian unit but it will take a couple more turns to arrive.
Turn 46 Tx.jpg
Turn 46 Tx.jpg (263.35 KiB) Viewed 892 times
Meanwhile in Arizona and New Mexico I have split my forces with one group blocking the northern force and a smaller force blocking the California Column entering from Fort Bowie. I am going to try to send more of the northern force to counter the western one. If I can clean up Texas quickly, I may send some of those units to help.

Turn 46 Ar.jpg
Turn 46 Ar.jpg (243.56 KiB) Viewed 894 times
Kennon
kennonlightfoot

Turn 48 Aug 19, 1862

RP: Union killed a Cav. Div. in Va and finally got one of those Partisans but two still fight on.

Reports: Mex 23/20, UK 29, Fr 24, Sp 30. Land: 93/92. Navy: 28/13.
Convoy: 340 (90 stopped). MPP: 1330/1240, FS: 94/97.

Games gives a warning when Spain reached 30% mobilization. I am not sure why. There isn't a lot of danger of them joining the South until they get over 60%. However, I have not played a game where it has reached that level so don't know whether things accelerate as they get higher numbers or not.

I have been able to maintain MPP production number close to those of the Union (about 100 less). Since I don't have both an Army and a Navy to support, I think I am close to equal to Union there. However, they did fix their blockading problem. Union ships are now stopping about 90 of my MPP blockade runner income. But the lack of taking any ports has left my total convoy income rather high.

So far, their only attempt to close a port by capture is in Texas and not going well. I have moved the volunteers reinforced by rangers and cavalry from Indian Territory to cut off their force and threaten to take the minor port supporting them. I suspect they will take advantage of the Marines ability to re-embark to get out of the trap.
Turn 48 Tx.jpg
Turn 48 Tx.jpg (314.97 KiB) Viewed 870 times

Mostly skirmishing along the rest of the lines. Killed a brigade in Virginia and damaged some others. Killed a division in the Kentucky line.

Research: Maxed.

Purchase: Inf. Corps and Cav. Div.

ET

Developed Skirmisher Skill Lev. 1 and Production Tech. is now Lev. 2.
Kennon
kennonlightfoot

Turn 50 Sep 2, 1862.

RP: Skirmishing all along the lines but no significant actions this turn.

Reinf: Gun Boat, Inf. Div. and Engineer (to Memphis).

South is able to produce three Engineers. I generally create them early to provide support to help defend the three key cities in the South (Richmond, Nashville, and Memphis). They provide a little extra protection against raids as well as starting the entrenchments around each of the cities.

I haven't tried doing river amphibious landings as the Union or seen it done so I am not sure how much threat that is. But there are additional threats to these major cities. Memphis can be reached by cavalry and infantry moving down the west bank of the Mississippi. Richmond can be threatened by troops at Ft. Monroe and later from Norfolk if it is taken.

New Orleans is a special case. It has some defenses already but is always in danger of amphibious assault in conjunction of using the special rule for destroying its levies.

Otherwise, mostly rebuilding lines and making upgrades. Getting to late in the campaign season for major operations.

In Texas I am able to kill one of the Marines. The other two head to the port and will probably be gone soon.

The Kentucky line is getting stronger but it also looks like the Union is moving more troops into central Kentucky so may start pushing me back there. But the Union got a slow start early in the game so they are behind schedule here. Normally the Union would be pressing or already taken Nashville by now. Nashville is a major objective for the Union in the first two years of the war. Once taken they can easily take Memphis which will give them control of Tennessee.
Turn 50 Ky.jpg
Turn 50 Ky.jpg (586.01 KiB) Viewed 867 times

Research: Chit to Production Tech. and Skirmishers.

Purchases: Inf. Corps

ET
Fort Modernization now Level 2.
Kennon
kennonlightfoot

Turn 52 Sep 9th, 1862.

RP: Union gun boats destroy Island #10 Fort on the Mississippi.
Union advances and takes Glosgow driving me back.
Union ships try to take out the fort blocking the mouth of the Mississippi but fail.

Reinf: RI to Memphis, Inf. Corps to Nashville.

Reports: Mex 23/20, UK 30, Fr 27, Sp 30. Land: 93/95. Navy: 28/15.
Convoy: 320 (120 stopped). MPP: 1330/1200. FS: 91/96.

Upgrading my forts starting with those most threatened by landings.
My river boats sortie taking out an enemy gunboat.

Rain throughout the West so no actions there. Still trying to upgrade everyone.
Did get to kill a division north of Hopkinsville.

Took advantage of the Union being tied up trying to stop the Partisan units and occupied Lewisburg, WV. Advancing as well on the road to Charlestown.

In Virginia was able to take out another division. I am mostly aiming for good odds attrition attacks that will kill a unit rather than make any offensive breakthroughs. This is slowly chipping away at the Union Fighting Spirit.

Research: Chit to Inf. Tactics.
Purchase: Inf. Div.

ET
Kennon

Return to “After Action Report”