Russo-Turkish War 1877 Scenario

Post new scenarios and mods here to share with other gamers.

Moderator: Saint Ruth

hottegetthoff

Russo-Turkish War 1877 Scenario

Post by hottegetthoff »

I am considering making a scenario for Russo Turkish war. At the moment i have very limited free time, but i think it can become a reality in the next few months, although i have never tried making a custom scenario. Heres a rough outline of the features:
-Danube front: Stretched russian supply lines through romania, River combat along the danube river, crossing it and ottoman forts in the danube delta, mountain passes deeper into bulgaria
-Naval combat with dominant ottoman navy and weaker russian navy, but as the war goes on turkish economy would not allow to utilize too much of it
-Mountain front in caucasus
-Balkan front with serbia and montenegro
-Alternate history options for example with muslim rebellions in russia, additional christian rebellions in turkey, greece joining the war, russian raiders in mediterranean
-Many incompetent generals on both sides, with some stand outs

With this post id like to gauge interest in the community, as it is quite an obscure conflict, and to hear your advice.
BiteNibbleChomp

Re: Russo-Turkish War 1877 Scenario

Post by BiteNibbleChomp »

Interesting! :D

The game already has Russia and the Ottomans as nations, however others like Greece or Romania would have to be added manually. If you look in the folder for 1870, that will show all the files that will need to be changed in order to add new nations (1870 added Belgium, Luxembourg and Switzerland, which aren't in ACW normally). All 50 US states are their own nations by default, replace those as I don't imagine you'll need them for anything :)
The game engine also has a few units not used by the ACW campaigns, notably Field Artillery and a few types of ships like Cruisers - these units are fully functional and already have stats set up (though you may wish to amend the stats to suit this campaign).
To create the navigable rivers (and I love hearing that you want to use these!), create a continuous line of land+sea hexes (it should be obvious how to do this if you look at ACW's Mississippi, Ohio &c), and then use 'Edit Naval Layer' to set the type of sea hex that they are - navigable rivers should always be set to '3' (I have tried others, it doesn't work!). I'm not super familiar with this conflict, but if you feel a distinction between coastal and ocean tiles will be useful, during testing for ACW we found that four hexes is the ideal distance for "coast" hexes to extend from the coastline, although you may of course use any distance you like.

To make the most accurate map possible, I would recommend that you find a modern map of the area you wish to cover (usually I just composite screenprints of google maps until I've got the area I want), and overlay a hex grid on that. Then, in a separate file, find an old map from the period to use to check if certain features (cities, railroads, &c) existed, rather than relying solely on the old map for everything - most old maps I've come across (at this point, that's a lot of them!) aren't terribly accurate and are often inconsistent, and making them all agree with each other on the game map can be quite frustrating.

Best of luck, I can't wait to see where this goes :D

- BNC
Ryan O'Shea - Strategic Command Designer
https://www.youtube.com/@bitenibblechomp
Jazon

Post by Jazon »

Hi!
Great idea, and this conflict has a potential for a nice campaign!
From my experience it is a time-consuming effort. Research on historical sources, making a map, writing scripts... Although it is an adventure! My advice for starter: find a map in scale you are comfortable with. Put a hex grid on it, you might use GIMP, and follow those steps:
http://spriggans-den.com/2019/05/01/tur ... 9%E7%9B%AE
Afterwards, I printed the map in color, on big format, like A1. Then you scale it, and make markings witch hex is witch, and follow drawing in the editor. I agree with Ryan that some of the old maps need to be confirmed. But in order to avoid confusion, carefully choose the "mother map". Later when you will have towns and rivers on, you can put roads and railroads according to the historical sources. Oh, and remember, the hexes with "0", in editor they are visible in 2/3, but in a game there will be only a bit of them seen, so don't put anything important on them, because it will confuse the players!
Good luck with the project!
Jazon
Hoplite1963

Post by Hoplite1963 »

Hi
You might want to have a look at the TOAOW scenario for this war for some ideas and info also "War in the East" my Quintin Barry is a very good source with many maps and OOB's.

Best of Luck
Ian
lion_of_judah

Post by lion_of_judah »

I really hope someone is working on this!

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”