Feature Request

Moderator: Saint Ruth

MikeGER

Feature Request

Post by MikeGER »

Feature request
its about the counter movement presentation in the replay phase.

is is possible, well without reprogramming the whole graphics engine, to let the units just slide ("drive") to the new position on the map in a natural way instead of "jump" from hex to hex ?

its hard to follow und gives a rather choppy expression of the otherwise fine presentation.
(if other folks like it the actual way better, so just as an option)
Saint Ruth

Re: Feature Request

Post by Saint Ruth »

That's actually on the ToDo list! Will try to get it done!
Cheers,
Brian
governato

Post by governato »

+1!

Saving the movie and/or the submitted turn so one can re check it out while waiting for a reply 'd also be great.

Question: the current movement as shown in the movies happens in "steps" there are steps when most units move and some (usually the first few) when no unit moves..how do they relate to a turn time subdivision?
AbeMuc

Post by AbeMuc »

MikeGER wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:51 pm Feature request
its about the counter movement presentation in the replay phase.

is is possible, well without reprogramming the whole graphics engine, to let the units just slide ("drive") to the new position on the map in a natural way instead of "jump" from hex to hex ?

its hard to follow und gives a rather choppy expression of the otherwise fine presentation.
(if other folks like it the actual way better, so just as an option)
I second that MikeGer! But you already know we talked in the last stream about it. This would definitely add imersion and a better feeling for the operational movements.

Great to hear @Brian that this one is already on a To-Do-List.
StkNRdr

Post by StkNRdr »

There are times when I wish I could target an empty hex next to a friendly unit with artillery. The reason for doing so would be if an enemy unit moves into the hex, and thus spotted by a friendly unit, even if not attacking they would still receive a barrage in that turn versus having to wait until being targeted in the next turn. If no enemy unit moves into the hex, and thus no barrage takes place, I assume this would have some impact to the artillery unit due to it being on alert.
Saint Ruth

Post by Saint Ruth »

StkNRdr wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:03 pm There are times when I wish I could target an empty hex next to a friendly unit with artillery. The reason for doing so would be if an enemy unit moves into the hex, and thus spotted by a friendly unit, even if not attacking they would still receive a barrage in that turn versus having to wait until being targeted in the next turn. If no enemy unit moves into the hex, and thus no barrage takes place, I assume this would have some impact to the artillery unit due to it being on alert.
Interesting idea. though when would it fire? IF multiple units passed through the hex, would it fire at the first unit? Or wait till all units have moved and then fire?
Saint Ruth

Post by Saint Ruth »

governato wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:59 pm +1!

Saving the movie and/or the submitted turn so one can re check it out while waiting for a reply 'd also be great.

Question: the current movement as shown in the movies happens in "steps" there are steps when most units move and some (usually the first few) when no unit moves..how do they relate to a turn time subdivision?
I'll have a look at that...there was a reason why saves were not allowed then...but now I can't remember why not! ;)

the "steps" are when something is happening. The Step might actually be readiness increases (for all units) or all units digging in. The steps are not actually units of time, but are when things happen (e.g. I could have all attacks resolve simultaneously in the film, but that would make it very hard to follow, so they resolve sequentially).
StkNRdr

Post by StkNRdr »

Saint Ruth wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 6:16 pm
StkNRdr wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:03 pm There are times when I wish I could target an empty hex next to a friendly unit with artillery. The reason for doing so would be if an enemy unit moves into the hex, and thus spotted by a friendly unit, even if not attacking they would still receive a barrage in that turn versus having to wait until being targeted in the next turn. If no enemy unit moves into the hex, and thus no barrage takes place, I assume this would have some impact to the artillery unit due to it being on alert.
Interesting idea. though when would it fire? IF multiple units passed through the hex, would it fire at the first unit? Or wait till all units have moved and then fire?
Good point. I would think it could be handled either way. I think we would have to look at it from a commander viewpoint.

What would a commander do?

Option A. Seeing enemy advancing would they hold fire as long as possible? If so, then firing would commence when all units are present in the barrage hex.

OR

Option B. Seeing enemy advancing would they fire on the first enemy units that come into range?

If Option B, how to handle the firing would depend on when enemy units are scheduled to enter the barrage hex:

1. If two or more units from the same hex, regardless of distance from the barrage hex, are to move into the barrage hex, they would all be fired on.

2. If two or more units each from different hexes that are the same distance from the barrage hex, they would all be fired on.

3. If one of the units in the example 2 had a wait command, and thus would not enter at the same time, the first units to enter would only be fired on.

4. If multiple units, some a hex away and the others two or more hexes away, are moving toward the barrage hex, the first unit(s) to enter would be fired on by itself, as the other units would arrive later.

In either case, the point is that a defending unit, who could see enemy units coming as close as 2500 meters, may not want to wait to see if the enemy is going to attack before having the artillery barrage. If the enemy holds that position, they still received the force of the barrage. It's more than likely the enemy movements would be very closely monitored and the commander would wait for as many enemy as possible to come into view, which would support Option A. The question regarding Option A is, in the game mechanics would all units, even if some are continuing on to attack, be present in the barrage hex first, prior to the beginning of any assault? If the answer to this is no, then Option B, makes more sense.

Having the additional barrage option available covers one more contingency for commanders.
Saint Ruth

Post by Saint Ruth »

But the spanner in the works is that:
- due to Fog Of War, you may not know the distance the enemy units move before entering the barrage hex (you actually may not even know how many units are in the barrage hex as as FOW level 1, you may not see all enemy units)
- you don't know enemy wait commands ;)
- a commander (and the AI) can only make decisions on what he (or it) knows at that moment, not on what happens in the future.
- the range of artillery can be a lot more than 2500 meters!

What would probably be easiest is to allow targeting of empty hexes
- if the hex looks empty, but is not due to Fog Of War hiding units, then attack with 50% strength (so you're firing on where you think enemy Artillery is for example)
- if the hex is empty, attack at end of turn when all moves stopped.

Will have to think about it!

cheers,
Brian
JacquesDeLalaing

Post by JacquesDeLalaing »

An idea which probably fits more to the small scale (0.5km/hex) rather than the large scale (2.5km/hex) scenarios and also an idea which becomes more salient in environments other than the flat russian steppes:

It would be interesting and increase the appeal of the engine if terrain types had an effect on intelligence.

E.g. units on a "hill/elevated hex" should have their intelligence range and/or strength increased slightly, unless another hill/elevation is in their LOS path. (I don't think there is a real need for an actual, complicated LOS/height map system). The higher up your viewpoint, the farther you can see (the horizon lowers, you can see farther over the curvature of the earth...).
E.g. Units in woods or built-up areas should have their "intelligence resistance" increased by one level.

This would increase the value of certain terrain features and encourage players to fight over them. It adds some spice to the "recon aspect" of the game.
Saint Ruth

Post by Saint Ruth »

Interesting idea. Can have a look at that!
governato

Post by governato »

JacquesDeLalaing wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:54 am An idea which probably fits more to the small scale (0.5km/hex) rather than the large scale (2.5km/hex) scenarios and also an idea which becomes more salient in environments other than the flat russian steppes:

It would be interesting and increase the appeal of the engine if terrain types had an effect on intelligence.

E.g. units on a "hill/elevated hex" should have their intelligence range and/or strength increased slightly, unless another hill/elevation is in their LOS path. (I don't think there is a real need for an actual, complicated LOS/height map system). The higher up your viewpoint, the farther you can see (the horizon lowers, you can see farther over the curvature of the earth...).
E.g. Units in woods or built-up areas should have their "intelligence resistance" increased by one level.

This would increase the value of certain terrain features and encourage players to fight over them. It adds some spice to the "recon aspect" of the game.
+1. The ability to gather/hide forces unknown to the enemy 'd really add to the game.
I 'd break the issue in two: 1) places one can see better from and 2) places where it's harder to see into

for (2) I think this could be part of a general upgrade of the terrain types. One should be able to define (and name) the terrain properties (attack/defense/move cost, Intelligence resistance).
Saint Ruth

Post by Saint Ruth »

Hi, Terrain does affect the intel you can gather from a hex.
Your intel strength is reduced by the the infantry defense of the hex (infantry as armor can be less than 1 in some hexes).

I.e. if you have observe a hex with intel strength 3, then if the hex has a infantry defense of 1, then your intel
strength is reduced to 2.
you can see it on the map when you press "I" where the strength is less green over defensive terrain.

This method might not be perfect, but it's perfectly simple. ;)

So, it's harder for you to see into forests.

As for seeing from, you should be able to see from a forest or town into steppe.
I don't see why that shouldn't be the case.

Of course, if you're in the middle of a forest, surrounded by other forests, that's different, but with a game at this level, I'm not going to go down the very very complicated road of working out LOS from every hex. :o :D

Cheers, ;)
Brian
governato

Post by governato »

Saint Ruth wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 8:29 pm Hi, Terrain does affect the intel you can gather from a hex.
Your intel strength is reduced by the the infantry defense of the hex (infantry as armor can be less than 1 in some hexes).

I.e. if you have observe a hex with intel strength 3, then if the hex has a infantry defense of 1, then your intel
strength is reduced to 2.
you can see it on the map when you press "I" where the strength is less green over defensive terrain.

This method might not be perfect, but it's perfectly simple. ;)
Yeah that probably works well enough. I learn something every day! :)
woos1981

Post by woos1981 »

I noticed that the single unit composition is quite simple, such as infantry units supporting details menu only shows how many man in it, the tank brigade shows how many tanks in it,I think that in reality the composition of a unit should be more diversified, such as an infantry company should include how many mortars, how many bathorse, How many rifles and submachine guns. It would be interesting in the future to have separate offensive and defensive data for these equipments, as well as to affect the ability of units to take different levels of damage, such as the destruction of an infantry company's bathorse or trucks during an air raid affecting the company's mobility, etc. I know it's means a lot of works, but I think it will adds a lot of depth and latitude to the game. Thank you very much!

Return to “WEGO World War II: Stalingrad Suggestions/Future Improvements”