Still AI issues with HQ units on the front lines.

Strategic Command: American Civil War gives you the opportunity to battle for the future of the United States in this grand strategy game. Command the Confederacy in a desperate struggle for independence, or lead the Union armies in a march on Richmond.

Moderator: Fury Software

Tanaka

Still AI issues with HQ units on the front lines.

Post by Tanaka »

These two Union HQ units next to Cairo have been sitting on the front lines for many turns so I just keep pummeling them. AI still needs to do better keeping HQ units in the rear. The AI is pushing me back but if I destroy both these HQ things will change. If HQ's would stay in the rear it would be a huge AI improvement.
Attachments
Clipboard02.jpg
Clipboard02.jpg (1.72 MiB) Viewed 359 times
Last edited by Tanaka on Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Patrat

Re: Still AI issues with HQ units on the front lines.

Post by Patrat »

I have many games against the AI and have yet to actually see this behavior, from either side. But it possibly could of occurred to me in areas covered by FOW.

There were times of course, that the AI put HQs in the Frontline when no other troops were available, but in similar circumstances I have done the same.

Is it possible that the HQs where caught in those circumstances due to a rapid advance on your part?

All my games were against veteran or expert AI. If that possibly means anything.
Bobo2025

Post by Bobo2025 »

I see this happen when basically the AI has no other options.

My issue isn't that it happens (happens all the time in all SC games) it is that HQ's are ridiculously resilient in the face of attack by substantial land forces. The Confederate HQ that took attacks from 3 brigades in my last turn and lost all of 4 strength points is a bit much.
Tanaka

Post by Tanaka »

Bobo2025 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:24 pm I see this happen when basically the AI has no other options.

My issue isn't that it happens (happens all the time in all SC games) it is that HQ's are ridiculously resilient in the face of attack by substantial land forces. The Confederate HQ that took attacks from 3 brigades in my last turn and lost all of 4 strength points is a bit much.
Since the AI is terrible at keeping it's HQ's in the rear I am ok with this. I do agree that the HQ units in SCACW seem more resilient and I like that. Just wish the AI would keep them back behind it's units on the front line.
Attachments
Clipboard02.jpg
Clipboard02.jpg (1.49 MiB) Viewed 242 times
Tanaka

Post by Tanaka »

Easy to hit when they come right up to my units...
Attachments
Clipboard03.jpg
Clipboard03.jpg (1.77 MiB) Viewed 237 times
mdsmall

Post by mdsmall »

I would add that the AI also likes to send HQs to remote rear areas. In the game I just played as Union, the Confederate AI had three generals parked deep in Appalachia, far from any confederate forces. I have seen the AI do the same thing with valuable generals in the WW1 game. Is there some way the AI could be scripted to try to stay behind main lines but within command range of friendly units?

Return to “Strategic Command: American Civil War”