Thank you for the editor!

An area to show off your editing!

Moderator: Saint Ruth

JacquesDeLalaing

Thank you for the editor!

Post by JacquesDeLalaing »

I've but taken a quick peek into the editor and to me it is a wargamer's dream come true! I'm really pumped.

The ability to load any image file as a map and just put a hexgrid layer on top of it!
The mechanics that are nicely abstract so they can be made to fit many conflicts!
The ability to edit OOBs and image files.

I've never felt so confident that this time - with this editor and game - I will finally be able to finish projects I had started for other games but were put on hold, either because I felt I had to make too many compromises and work arounds in terms of game mechanics (Wars across the World) or because the editors/games simply required more work and time than I could afford (Command Ops 2 - I spent weeks creating the Catania plane's height map and burnt out) or a combination of both (Combat Mission).

I will definitively get into this. I'm a very happy guy.

My two projects:
https://avalon-digital.com/en/forums/av ... lwitz-1741
https://forums.lnlpublishing.com/thread ... 1943.5326/
(meanwhile I have been researching for a third one, the Königgrätz campaign 1866 ;))
Last edited by JacquesDeLalaing on Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rosseau

Re: Thank you for this editor!

Post by Rosseau »

And your interest in the editor is very good news for the rest of us!

While I don't have the skills to create anything historical, I was also quite impressed with what players like me can do with it.

Best wishes on your projects!
JacquesDeLalaing

Re: Thank you for this editor!

Post by JacquesDeLalaing »

I took a slightly more detailed glimpse into the editor and things indeed seem very adaptable. So far, I've only come across fourmajor hard coded aspects that any adaption of the engine (for a different era) needs to consider:
  • Congestion: it’s always +0.1 MP per unit having moved through. So you need to set your units’ overall movement points accordingly, else congestion might play a role that is too extreme or completely negligable.
  • Terrain and hexside obstacles seem to be hard coded completely? You cannot create new terrain types or edit existing ones. But maybe I'm missing something here? I wasn't able to find any related csv files.
  • ZoC points = AA points = stacking size = stacking limits: This link of four aspects hampers the adaptability of the engine. E.g. unless you make a unit "bigger", you can’t give units a greater “control” value (by increasing/decreasing unit quality, you can get a +1/-1 shift, but I'm actually not sure if this works 100% as intended). In particular, increasing stacking size and stacking limits (GameData/SetScenarioStackingLimits) across the board in order to increase your design space (greater differences in ZoC points for different units) is not an option as the hard coded terrain types with their stacking limits interfere?
  • Out of supply/support effects The effect for units being out of support is pretty hefty (15 RDN) and is hard coded. It fits to rather long turn intervalls.
  • RDN loss for movement If the full movement allowance is expended, a unit always loses 10 RDN
  • Effects of combat+ and move+ focus
  • Dug in procedure and effect (+25% Defence)
Regarding overall movement allowances (=time intervall per turn), I'd also like to point out that if you allow very far movement, the intel system will create some rather unrealistic results. As of today, the game does not consider the chronological sequence of events during resolution when it comes to intel. E.g. if during turn resolution your unit arrives at position X at time Y, you will be shown all enemy movements visible from position X, even if said movement took place before time Y.
Last edited by JacquesDeLalaing on Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Saint Ruth

Re: Thank you for the editor!

Post by Saint Ruth »

Cheers, I'm going to continue to make the Editor more adaptable, with hopefully more and more params if not in the editor itself, then in data csv files (e.g. in the patch, you'll be able to change the years).
But the list is long!

Return to “WEGO World War II: Stalingrad: Editor and Campaign Editor”