New Scenario: Bryansk Front Attacks! The Red Army on the Offensive in Summer 1942

Please share all your mods and scenarios here for the community to play

Moderator: Saint Ruth

governato

New Scenario: Bryansk Front Attacks! The Red Army on the Offensive in Summer 1942

Post by governato »

This thread is for now just a placeholder while I wait for the new patch to be released. Playable vs AI or a human opponent.

This relatively unknown battle was almost comparable in size to the Ardennes Offensive in 1944 (the equivalent of a full Tank Army against vs weak German Infantry divisions and a Panzer Division) ...like on the West front the attacker has to break into open ground and encircle the enemy before it regains air superiority and mobile reinforcements pour in. The offensive was not successful. Same scale as the Stalingrad game, with some changes in the way forces are described to reduce unit density. Hope you like the new graphics by user NickGen

Sources: Glantz's "To the Gates of Stalingrad" and Sdvizhkov "Confronting Case Blau"

Bryansk.png
Bryansk.png (2.58 MiB) Viewed 1030 times

Scenario Description

Bryansk Front Attacks!
Time span: 21 July 1942 - 26 July 1942
Turns: 25
Turns per day: 5
Map size: Small (23 x 30)
Scale: 2500 meters per Hex
Number of units (Axis/Allies): 138 / 197

After the opening phases of Case Blau, Hoth's 4th Panzer Army has seized control of the city of Voronez and the West bank of the Don. With the bulk of its mobile forces now headed for the Volga and the Caucasus, a small mix of green divisions brought from France and some veteran divisions from Salmuth's 2nd Army are left behind to cover the extended left flank and the Don banks. Stalin has ordered the Red Army and its new, large tank reserves to regain the initiative in this sector, in order to divert significant German forces from their race to the Volga.

Red Army Briefing:

The Boss has assigned a large fraction of the existing tank reserves to Group Chibisov. You outnumber the German tanks by at least 3:1. He expects you to break the German front line with your infantry, envelop the Don salient with your tank reserves, reach the Voronez highway and retake the city. You have four days to achieve these goals. The attack in the Voronezh Front sector will begin on July 22nd at the latest.

Tactical Considerations

1) Break the weak German lines with infantry and tank brigades before unleashing the bulk of your tank forces and head South to Zemliansk (6,12)
2) pivot South East to Voronezh (18,23), encircling the German salient.
3) 60th and 40th Army will join from the East side of the Don and retake Voronezh, starting on July 22nd (they get released later on July 21st).

- You are well aware that your infantry and division level officers are poorly trained
- Make sure you use your numerous Ground and Logistic Assets early to secure a breakthrough
- Try to concentrate forces and use Ammo+ wisely. Small, dispersed attacks by badly trained infantry was the main mistake made by Group Chibisov
- Secure the bridge to the town of Bol'shaia Vereika (hex 10,7) as soon as possible. Rebuild it if necessary.
- Move the tanks to the open ground across of the river and push South before the Germn mobile reserves are activated.
- Your forces outnumber the enemy, especially in tanks, but are untrained, not fully ready and with poor Command & Control.
- The weather is clear and the VVS (The Soviet Air Force) has promised to support your ground forces to the best of their abilities.
- You will have plenty of ammo and fuel for your tanks!

(this info is based on the one historical available to the real Group and Army Commanders)

Axis Briefing:

Your task is to protect the North shoulder of the Axis effort as 6th Army thrust to Stalingrad and the Caucasus. The enemy has significant tank forces in the area and a previous attack by an entire Tank Army was recently repulsed with heavy enemy losses. Defend the highway to Voronezh and protect your forces along the Don salient from encirclement. Enlarge your bridgehead around Voronezh if possible. If the enemy breaks your Main Line of Defense the 9th Panzer Division will be released to support you. Counterattack swiftly, but keep your mobile losses low as they will be needed to fight another day

Tactical considerations:
- defend Zemliansk (6,12) and Voronezh (18,23) at all costs while reinfircements arrive.
- SETUP: Most of your infantry regiments start split into battalions to better defend your long frontline.
- Artillery and HQs move slowly due to their large logistics trains. Keep them on roads as much as possible.
- The Luftwaffe will provide support within 24 hours
- Reinforcements: significant reinforcements will arrive within the first 36 hours to bolster your lines.
- The 169th Infantry division is limited to the area of the Don salient as for 2nd Army orders
- fuel is somewhat limited, take advantage of fuel+ assets to move elements of 9th PzD when it's finally released to the front and counterattack!
bcgames

Re: New Scenario: Bryansk Front Attacks! The Red Army on the Offensive in Summer 1942

Post by bcgames »

Nice!
Hellway

Re: New Scenario: Bryansk Front Attacks! The Red Army on the Offensive in Summer 1942

Post by Hellway »

Impatient...
governato

Post by governato »

Hellway wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 3:04 pm Impatient...
Same. I put a lot of work/research in these scenarios. They are ready and tested (vs human and AI) , but need the readiness recovery bug and a couple of AI bugs/features fixed to work to their full potential. So I have been waiting :).
Alan Sharif

Post by Alan Sharif »

Wow. Looking forward to playing this in the not too distant future. Thanks for your work on this.
A Sharif
Hellway

Post by Hellway »

Any news of this work ? :D
governato

Post by governato »

Hellway wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:49 pm Any news of this work ? :D
I wish! The scenario is ready, (and the ACW scenarios too ), but apparently there is no immediate plan for a patch, which I think is essential for them to play properly.

Currently, due to a bug, the readiness recovery rates are INVERTED compared to what was intended. Meaning that green units recover fast, and faster than the elite ones, that recover..well very slowly.
In my opnion this bug (which I think was present from the start!) makes most scenario in Stalingrad (not just mines) play differently from how they were intended.

This bug affects all the official Stalingrad scenarios. It is not super evident in games vs the AI, but when played by a human, my experience has been that the Red Army always remains cohesive, instead of melting away (as it often did), and the Axis does not have the bite and resilience it should have.
I hope I do not sound too harsh, but I think we have not seen ' WEGO Stalingrad' playing properly yet...which is a pity.

Here is the bug post (from 11/2022!)

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... 1&t=389714

The ACW scenarios also play incorrectly for the same reason, and the assets bug found by others also affects them.

Both (and other) bugs have been fixed, but I have been told by the developer that it is impractical to submit a patch until the new game is under beta testing.

I have put a lot of work in these scenarios and I think these scenario (the ACW ones especially!) really show the potential of this WEGO engine, so I decided I will not share them while the engine is in the current state.

Hope you understand and I hope things will change soon!
Last edited by governato on Tue Aug 01, 2023 1:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sunbather

Post by Sunbather »

This and your Civil War scenarios look really, really good, and one can already tell from the screenshots and the description that a lot of effort has been put into them. Having mods/scenarios like this would actually finally convince me to buy this game.

So here's hoping two things:

1. The bug gets squashed very soon, since I assume that it not only affects your scenarios but also the base game.

2. Matrix will have a "end of summer sale" in a month or so.
bcgames

Post by bcgames »

WEGOWW2: Desert War and Stalingrad will be patched after Monty's Front: OVERLORD is published. One engine to rule them all.
Sunbather

Post by Sunbather »

bcgames wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 3:15 am WEGOWW2: Desert War and Stalingrad will be patched after Monty's Front: OVERLORD is published. One engine to rule them all.
This is great news! I am looking very much forward to your Normandy games as well!
bcgames wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 3:15 am One engine to rule them all.
Sounds like a very reasonable choice to maintain one engine for all games with slight modifcations!

Return to “WEGO World War II: Stalingrad: Mods and Scenarios”