DW2 Cheat Sheet - A reference list of everything - Version 6 (23/2/2024)

Please post here for questions and discussion about data, event, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderator: MOD_DW2

OrnluWolfjarl

Re: DW2 Cheat Sheet - A reference list of everything - Version 3 (4/5/2023)

Post by OrnluWolfjarl »

Kahnite wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 9:53 pm WOW! Thank you VERY much. Saved be a lot of trouble. :)
You are welcome!

Be on the lookout for a new update soon.
OrnluWolfjarl

Re: DW2 Cheat Sheet - A reference list of everything - Version 4 (26/5/2023)

Post by OrnluWolfjarl »

UPDATE 4 - May 26

The work continues...

I have added:
  • List of all Hulls: with all their costs, bonuses they have, defensive capabilities, component bays (with sizes and rotation arcs), technologies required to unlock them, races they are specific to, hull size, max size and available space.
  • Hulls Overview: a more compact list, which gives each hull in a single row with its important information, and where hulls are grouped by race and role.
Furthermore:
  • Added formatting to all tables for improved readability (this was done using Visual Basic coding through Excel - the code will be published at a later date, when finalized)
  • All entries are now color-coded.
  • Corrected a few errors and typos.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

COMING UP NEXT
  • Update all data to Hyperdrive update
  • Create tools that will automate the update process from now on (which will be publicly available, in case of author death, dismemberment or, worst of all, dreadful laziness).
As usual, the updated files are posted under the original post.
Last edited by OrnluWolfjarl on Sat May 27, 2023 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
OrnluWolfjarl

A diary in place of an update 1

Post by OrnluWolfjarl »

Hello everyone,

It's been a while since my last update, and seeing as the Hyperspeed update has released some days ago, I thought I'd let you know on the status of the project.

Rest assured, I am still working to update the Cheat Sheet to the next game version (1.1.4.4).

As a reminder, the Cheat Sheet reflects game version 1.1.2.4. However, most of the information it contains should be accurate, except to anything the devs have implemented in HyperSpeed (like reactor fuel usage or the new way shields use energy to recharge themselves).

However, updating the Cheat Sheet is taking a bit longer than expected. The reason is threefold:

a) Due to the nature of my work, the end of May is an extremely busy period every year, and I've had to put work on the Cheat Sheet to the back-burner. I've still found time to work on it, but it's been quite slow. Thankfully, this busy period has passed for now.

b) I've been creating a tool that will format each list for easier readability. You've already seen a part of the final product in the current Cheat Sheet version (v4), with all the nice borders and coloured rows. When the Hyperspeed update was released, I was still working to eliminate any kinks and add a bit more functionality to the tool.

c) I've decided to create another tool that will allow me to import the values from each XML file in Excel, and then have Excel check which values in the Cheat Sheet are correct. This should help me eliminate typos or anything I missed while I was constructing the Cheat Sheet. This will also allow me to update the Cheat Sheet quickly in the future, as well as keep up with the frequent beta updates that the game is receiving. Furthermore, this tool will be rolled in the Cheat Sheet to allow users to do their own updating (possibly with some modifications needed on the user's end, but I'll see about streamlining the process as much as I can).

I've already started working on coding this updating tool (on the VBA developer tool provided by Excel), but it's still in its early stages. I'm fairly certain I've completed the basic architecture, so now I have to adjust the code for each XML game file. I estimate this will take me at least another 2 weeks to finish and be ready to release version 5 of the Cheat Sheet. I'll possibly release an early 4.5 version bringing at least some of the information on the Cheat Sheet up to date with Hyperspeed, but I can't make any solid promises yet.

Thanks for all the support, downloads and thank yous :D. It gladdens me to see this project is useful to people!

Have a good one!
OrnluWolfjarl

DW2 Cheat Sheet update to v5!!!

Post by OrnluWolfjarl »

UPDATE 5 - June 20

The work is almost done... Sorry it took a while!!!

Changes:
  • UPDATED ALL ENTRIES TO GAME VERSION 1.1.4.4 - HYPERDRIVE UPDATE
  • Components Overview: a more compact list, which gives each component in a single row with its important information.
  • Components Overviews by Type: each component group has received its own compact list, with ALL its information and attributes
Furthermore:
  • Formatting has been improved for easier readability
  • All entries now contain a source (vanilla or DLC)
The google sheet will be updated at a later date
OrnluWolfjarl

Re: DW2 Cheat Sheet - A reference list of everything - Version 5 (20/6/2023)

Post by OrnluWolfjarl »

UPDATE 6 - February 23, 2023

The work is done finally... Once again, sorry for the long wait!!!

Certain events in life (do not worry, all is well now), have delayed me significantly in updating this Cheat Sheet. I want to assure you that the project is not abandoned.

The cheat sheet has become much more powerful now, as it includes tools that help you import XML data files from the game, and automatically scan each Cheat Sheet for errors or for any needed updates. These tools utilize Excel VBA code to work, and to enable them, some set-up might be required on your end. Excel 365 is required to use this version of the Cheat Sheet. You can find it on the Google Drive link in the main post.

Changes:
  • UPDATED ALL ENTRIES TO GAME VERSION 1.2.0.5
  • Components & Hulls Overview: can now filter by name, type and group
  • Added tools: which can help you keep your DW2 Cheat Sheet updated on your own, found on the INTERFACE worksheet.
OrnluWolfjarl

Re: DW2 Cheat Sheet - A reference list of everything - Version 6 (23/2/2024)

Post by OrnluWolfjarl »

The Google Sheet is now updated to version 6 (1.2.0.5) as well.

Return to “Design and Modding”