DW2 Cheat Sheet - A reference list of everything - Version 6 (23/2/2024)

Please post here for questions and discussion about data, event, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderator: MOD_DW2

OrnluWolfjarl

DW2 Cheat Sheet - A reference list of everything - Version 6 (23/2/2024)

Post by OrnluWolfjarl »

CURRENT VERSION: v6

FOR GAME VERSION 1.2.0.5

I have compiled together information on:
  • List of all resources: their IDs and cost (working on expanding the USES of each resource)
  • List of all planets, asteroids and stars: with all their resources, bonuses, sizes, celestial objects in orbit around them, IDs AND their spawn chance and values.
  • How mining works, in detail.
  • List of all Technologies: with all their costs, components/hulls/planetary facilities/bonuses they unlock, races/situations they are specific for, IDs, requirements, research bonuses they benefit from (some need confirmation, which I will do later this week), and their possible paths in case of randomized tech tree
  • List of all Components: with all their stats (across all their versions), costs, types, sizes
  • List of all Planetary Facilities: with all their costs, bonuses they provide, troops they can produce, defensive capabilities, races/situations they are specific for, IDs, requirements, how many can be build per Colony/Empire/Galaxy.
  • List of all Troops: with all their stats, costs, types, sizes, races - (Dhayut Regular Infantry not included yet)
  • List of all Races: with their habitability, biases towards other races, governments allowed (if playable), characteristics, unique technologies/components/planetary facilities, starting research, preferred components (if AI) special features (Aurora DLC only), troops and victory conditions - (Hulls will be filled in next version)
  • List of all Governments: with their political system, stability, biases towards other governments, diplomatic outlook, bonuses they provide, starting events and additional features (Aurora DLC only)
  • List of all Artifacts: with the bonuses they apply, governments they unlock, techs they unlock or complete, and requirements for the bonuses to apply
  • List of all Hulls: with all their costs, bonuses they have, defensive capabilities, component bays (with sizes and rotation arcs), technologies required to unlock them, races they are specific to, hull size, max size and available space.
  • Hulls Overview: a more compact list, which gives each hull in a single row with its important information, and where hulls are grouped by race and role.
  • Components Overview: a more compact list, which gives each component in a single row with its important information.
  • Components Overviews by Type: each component group has received its own compact list, with ALL its information and attributes
Please see the files linked or attached below

XLSX - Excel 365 sheet (what I work with currently). This file contains no VBA code

XLS - Can be opened with older versions of Excel, as well as Open Office (which you can get for free)

WEB - Can be opened through your browser, no internet connection required. Make sure to extract all files together in the same folder/location and do not change the file names (otherwise it won't work anymore, unless you know what you are doing).

Google Sheets - Can be opened through your browser, internet connection required. Found here.

Additionally, you can find an XLSM file on Google Drive found here (uploaded on GD due to file size constraints of the Matrix forums).

This file utilizes Visual Basic (VBA), which can help you keep your DW2 Cheat Sheet up to date!

Available Macros:
  • Import specific XML files from the game data folder and display their information in Excel
  • Use the imported information to validate data in your own Cheat Sheet
  • Format your Cheat Sheet after adding new data to keep it nice and functional
  • Create Overview tables for Hulls & Components, for easier viewing and comparison.

Feel free to use, and let me know if you encounter any issues!

Downloads since last update: 552

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE 1 - April 3rd

I have placed the information in an Excel sheet (see attachment below), and have also uploaded it on Google Sheets here

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE 2 - April 22nd

I have added:
  • List of all Technologies...
  • ... with all their costs, components/hulls/planetary facilities/bonuses they unlock, races/situations they are specific for, IDs, requirements, research bonuses they benefit from (some need confirmation, which I will do later this week), and their possible paths in case of randomized tech tree
  • List of all Components...
  • ...with all their stats (across all their versions), costs, types, sizes

UPDATE 3 - May 4th

I have added:
  • List of all Planetary Facilities: with all their costs, bonuses they provide, troops they can produce, defensive capabilities, races/situations they are specific for, IDs, requirements, how many can be build per Colony/Empire/Galaxy.
  • List of all Troops: with all their stats, costs, types, sizes, races - (Dhayut Regular Infantry not included yet)
  • List of all Races: with their habitability, biases towards other races, governments allowed (if playable), characteristics, unique technologies/components/planetary facilities, starting research, preferred components (if AI) special features (Aurora DLC only), troops and victory conditions - (Hulls will be filled in next version)
  • List of all Governments: with their political system, stability, biases towards other governments, diplomatic outlook, bonuses they provide, starting events and additional features (Aurora DLC only)
  • List of all Artifacts: with the bonuses they apply, governments they unlock, techs they unlock or complete, and requirements for the bonuses to apply
Furthermore:
  • Added some rudimentary formatting for easier readability (particularly if one uses the WEB version) - This is only a placeholder and better/easier to use formatting will come in the near future.
  • Added information on which game files and game version this Cheat Sheet applies (can be found in "Notes"). In addition, some specific entries now are marked as "Vanilla" or "Aurora DLC". In the near future, all entries will have a "Source".
  • In the compact Reference Lists sheet: Technologies and Components lines now include the Race they are specific to (otherwise that column is left blank).
  • Corrected a few errors and typos.
  • Added a key for abbreviations (found in NOTES)

UPDATE 4 - May 26

I have added:
  • List of all Hulls: with all their costs, bonuses they have, defensive capabilities, component bays (with sizes and rotation arcs), technologies required to unlock them, races they are specific to, hull size, max size and available space.
  • Hulls Overview: a more compact list, which gives each hull in a single row with its important information, and where hulls are grouped by race and role.
Furthermore:
  • Added formatting to all tables for improved readability (this was done using Visual Basic coding through Excel - the code will be published at a later date, when finalized)
  • All entries are now color-coded.

UPDATE 5 - June 20

The work is almost done... Sorry it took a while!!!

Changes:
  • UPDATED ALL ENTRIES TO GAME VERSION 1.1.4.4 - HYPERDRIVE UPDATE
  • Components Overview: a more compact list, which gives each component in a single row with its important information.
  • Components Overviews by Type: each component group has received its own compact list, with ALL its information and attributes
Furthermore:
  • Formatting has been improved for easier readability
  • All entries now contain a source (vanilla or DLC)

UPDATE 6 - February 23, 2023

The work is done finally... Once again, sorry for the long wait!!!

Changes:
  • UPDATED ALL ENTRIES TO GAME VERSION 1.2.0.5
  • Components & Hulls Overview: can now filter by name, type and group
  • Added tools: which can help you keep your DW2 Cheat Sheet updated on your own, found on the INTERFACE worksheet.

COMING UP NEXT
  • Update the Cheat Sheet to new game versions
Any suggestions you may have, please post them here
Attachments
DW2 Cheat Sheet v6 - NO MACROS (XLSX).7z
for Excel 365 (original file)
(9.28 MiB) Downloaded 28 times
DW2 Cheat Sheet v6 (XLS).7z
for older Excel and Open/Libre Office (free)
(2.39 MiB) Downloaded 24 times
DW2 Cheat Sheet v6 (WEB).7z
HTML file which can be viewed in any browser (no internet required)
(1018.6 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
Last edited by OrnluWolfjarl on Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:57 am, edited 35 times in total.
frankycl

Re: Cheat Sheet - Resources and bonuses on celestial objects, Spawn chances, Mining and more (Draft)

Post by frankycl »

This is great - thanks for sharing it ! :D

But why only TXT-/PDF-format ? - why not an Excel-/OpenOffice-sheet, or at least RTF-format ? ;)
OrnluWolfjarl

Re: Cheat Sheet - Resources and bonuses on celestial objects, Spawn chances, Mining and more (Draft)

Post by OrnluWolfjarl »

As I said, it's only a draft. I'm working to turn it into an Excel and GoogleDoc. I posted it to see if anybody would see any mistakes I missed.
frankycl

Post by frankycl »

OrnluWolfjarl wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:27 am As I said, it's only a draft. I'm working to turn it into an Excel and GoogleDoc. I posted it to see if anybody would see any mistakes I missed.
Well, you could find those mistakes (even more easily) with an Excel-sheet, too - no ? (and you could update your Excel-downloads anytime in the same way you do this with other stuff... ;) ) - no criticism, though. :)
frankycl

Post by frankycl »

... wow - at first sight I'd say your sheet is very well though-out and structured (and I also think that all main analysises/assertions are very right, too) - very well done ! :mrgreen:

But I think you should upload this in the modding-forums - here and on Steam -, too (this way much more people (and in the end the mods/the game itself) could benefit from it) ! ;)
OrnluWolfjarl

Post by OrnluWolfjarl »

frankycl wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:39 am
OrnluWolfjarl wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:27 am As I said, it's only a draft. I'm working to turn it into an Excel and GoogleDoc. I posted it to see if anybody would see any mistakes I missed.
Well, you could find those mistakes (even more easily) with an Excel-sheet, too - no ? (and you could update your Excel-downloads anytime in the same way you do this with other stuff... ;) ) - no criticism, though. :)
True, but I like doing it this way first, so I have raw numbers that I can open with anything on a phone, laptop, PC, etc. I can then organize the numbers on Excel much more cleanly. It's more hassle for me to do it the "easy way" :P
OrnluWolfjarl

Post by OrnluWolfjarl »

I have placed the information in an Excel sheet (see attachment in original post), and have also uploaded it on Google Sheets here
frankycl

Post by frankycl »

OrnluWolfjarl wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:04 pm I have placed the information in an Excel sheet (see attachment in original post), and have also uploaded it on Google Sheets here
Oh wow - that's pretty good stuff, imho - thank you very much. :mrgreen:

(But why is it called "DW..." - is this from/for DW1, too ?)
OrnluWolfjarl

Post by OrnluWolfjarl »

frankycl wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:14 pm
OrnluWolfjarl wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:04 pm I have placed the information in an Excel sheet (see attachment in original post), and have also uploaded it on Google Sheets here
Oh wow - that's pretty good stuff, imho - thank you very much. :mrgreen:

(But why is it called "DW..." - is this from/for DW1, too ?)
You are welcome :)

It's not called DW2 because a Gravillex interrupted me while building it :P

(Just something I didn't think about, I'll fix it next time I update - It won't work on DW1, since resources and planets are different)
Siddham

Re: Cheat Sheet - Resources and bonuses on celestial objects, Spawn chances, Mining and more (Updated to Spreadsheet)

Post by Siddham »

Thanks you for making these resources :ugeek:
Buio

Post by Buio »

OrnluWolfjarl wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:58 pm It's not called DW2 because a Gravillex interrupted me while building it :P
I can hear the sound.

Thank you for the sheet and notes!
OrnluWolfjarl

Re: DW2 Cheat Sheet - A reference list of everything

Post by OrnluWolfjarl »

UPDATE 2 April 22nd

The work continues...

I have added:
  • List of all Technologies...
  • ... with all their costs, components/hulls/planetary facilities/bonuses they unlock, races/situations they are specific for, IDs, requirements, research bonuses they benefit from (some need confirmation, which I will do later this week), and their possible paths in case of randomized tech tree
  • List of all Components...
  • ...with all their stats (across all their versions), costs, types, sizes
Please see the zip files marked as CURRENT attached below

xlsx - Excel 365 sheet (what I work with currently)

xls - Can be opened with older versions of Excel, as well as Open Office (which you can get for free)

Web - Can be opened through your browser, no internet connection required
OrnluWolfjarl

Re: DW2 Cheat Sheet - A reference list of everything - Version 2 (22/4/2023)

Post by OrnluWolfjarl »

UPDATE 3 - May 4th

The work continues...

I have added:
Furthermore:
  • Added some rudimentary formatting for easier readability (particularly if one uses the WEB version) - This is only a placeholder and better/easier to use formatting will come in the near future.
  • Added information on which game files and game version this Cheat Sheet applies (can be found in "Notes"). In addition, some specific entries now are marked as "Vanilla" or "Aurora DLC". In the near future, all entries will have a "Source".
  • In the compact Reference Lists sheet: Technologies and Components lines now include the Race they are specific to (otherwise that column is left blank).
  • Added a key for abbreviations (found in NOTES)
Please see the zip files marked as CURRENT attached below

xlsx - Excel 365 sheet (what I work with currently)

xls - Can be opened with older versions of Excel, as well as Open Office (which you can get for free)

Web - Can be opened through your browser, no internet connection required

Consider other versions obsolete

The Google Sheet is NOT UP TO DATE YET (still version 2)

COMING UP NEXT
  • List of Hulls
  • List of Events
  • Corrections and Formatting for better readability
frankycl

Re: DW2 Cheat Sheet - A reference list of everything - Version 3 (4/5/2023)

Post by frankycl »

Great work, as always - thank you very much. :mrgreen:

However, I'm wondering: What do you do, when the DEVs change some of the values, etc. - like they frequently do with e.g. governments or characters, etc. (just to name a view) ? - I haven't seen any update-/-change-logs in your threads so far... :?
OrnluWolfjarl

Post by OrnluWolfjarl »

frankycl wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 5:52 am Great work, as always - thank you very much. :mrgreen:

However, I'm wondering: What do you do, when the DEVs change some of the values, etc. - like they frequently do with e.g. governments or characters, etc. (just to name a view) ? - I haven't seen any update-/-change-logs in your threads so far... :?
Thanks!

I am using the official version so far. I am planning to finish everything I intend to include with those files (hopefully before the next official update), then I'll use a tool to compare for changes in game files and add them or change their values.

Honestly, between Notepad ++ and Visual Basic included in Excel, I'm not that worried about it.

My main goal right now is to have a database of all things and all their possible properties (which is why there's a lot of "None" values in there, instead of leaving it empty or 0). After that I can automate the process and just check to ensure changes are made correctly.

I could automate it right now, but going through everything one by one helps me to ensure fixing mistakes and that the structure of the tables is correct.
frankycl

Post by frankycl »

Thank you very much for your again detailed answer; - really looking forward to its completion. :mrgreen:
OrnluWolfjarl

Post by OrnluWolfjarl »

frankycl wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 2:40 pm Thank you very much for your again detailed answer; - really looking forward to its completion. :mrgreen:
You are welcome :)
Kahnite

Post by Kahnite »

WOW! Thank you VERY much. Saved be a lot of trouble. :)
Sincerely,
Kahnite

Return to “Design and Modding”