Instructions For Installing Xenko?

Please post here for questions and discussion about data, event, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderator: MOD_DW2

runandhidegamer

Post by runandhidegamer »

I have for the last 5 hours tried to install Xenko with Visual Studio 2019 but keep getting errors that MS build cannot be found.
What am i missing in visual studio 2019?
frankycl

Re: Instructions For Installing Xenko?

Post by frankycl »

runandhidegamer wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:59 pm I have for the last 5 hours tried to install Xenko with Visual Studio 2019 but keep getting errors that MS build cannot be found.
What am i missing in visual studio 2019?
Hm - when I tried this (long ago) I didn't have any problems (and I think there was also a instruction-manual I used - but I don't remember it fully :( ) - but maybe it's because now it's needed a completely other version of Stride/Xenko ?

But there is another modder that could help you more, I guess... rxnnxs ?
runandhidegamer

Well I have spent 13 hours trying to install Stride / Xenko using visual studio 2019 but I cannot get past the errors.

Either it tells me there is a problem with msbuild or I get this message

Exception
``` Error code 1 while running install package process [C:\Users\User\.nuget\packages\xenko.gamestudio/3.1.0.2\tools\packageinstall.exe]
Error: System.InvalidOperationException: Visual Studio 2019 install failed with error 5007 at Xenko.PackageInstall.Program.CheckVisualStudioAndBuildTools() in C:\dev\xenko2\sources\tools\Xenko.PackageInstall\Program.cs:line 115 at Xenko.PackageInstall.Program.Main(String[] args) in C:\dev\xenko2\sources\tools\Xenko.PackageInstall\Program.cs:line 51
at Stride.Core.Packages.NugetStore.RunPackageInstall(String packageInstall, String arguments, ProgressReport progress) at Stride.Core.Packages.NugetStore.OnPackageInstalled(Object sender, PackageOperationEventArgs args) at Stride.Core.Packages.NugetStore.InstallPackage(String packageId, PackageVersion version, IEnumerable`1 targetFrameworks, ProgressReport progress) at Stride.LauncherApp.ViewModels.PackageVersionViewModel.<>cDisplayClass55_0.<<Download>b0>d.MoveNext() ```
runandhidegamer

Well, that should have taken 5 minutes to install.

14 hours later I finally found out how to get this working,

With Visual Studio 2019 go to individual components, search for

"Development Tools plus .NET Core 2.1"..... Install that, reboot the computer and then Xenko should work fine.
runandhidegamer

With Xenko working now I need to try and work out how to use it......
rxnnxs

Post by rxnnxs »

I have also only issues, so many, nothing works.
I activated what you have sair,
i have msvs2019 and 2022, finally after a long time installed the extension, installed xenko 3.0, stride 4.0 and 4.1, and all the time, i can not even start a sample project.

unreal engine, unity, they all work right from the start.

stride? holy cow,i managed to start a project.
for me, folowing settings worked:
sample.jpg
sample.jpg (69.67 KiB) Viewed 965 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (20.27 KiB) Viewed 965 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (48.41 KiB) Viewed 965 times
rxnnxs

Post by rxnnxs »

So, now that this works, where is the tiny but informative how-to-open assets tutorial? :-)
frankycl

Post by frankycl »

rxnnxs wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:29 pm So, now that this works, where is the tiny but informative how-to-open assets tutorial? :-)
Have you already watched the tut-videos in the manual-folder ? - Is it not in there ? :?
rxnnxs

Post by rxnnxs »

No, no help.

And the manual, yes, no help.
• Stride content bundles
o Stride bundle files built in Stride Game Studio, containing models, materials,
textures, spritesheets and sound effects
▪ To load bundle files they must be listed in the mod.json file (see below)
I do not want to load a bundle file, I want to open one so I know whats inside and how the data has to look like.

See below, but there is nothing below.
frankycl

Post by frankycl »

rxnnxs wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:41 pm No, no help.

And the manual, yes, no help.
• Stride content bundles
o Stride bundle files built in Stride Game Studio, containing models, materials,
textures, spritesheets and sound effects
▪ To load bundle files they must be listed in the mod.json file (see below)
I do not want to load a bundle file, I want to open one so I know whats inside and how the data has to look like.

See below, but there is nothing below.
Ok, then this might be what you're looking for:

There already exists a comand-line option (and a little program) that you could use to open/access these files (I already tried it once, too), but sadly I don't know/haven't found a way to store edited files in those archives again (but maybe you or others will ? ;) ) - However it was long a ago when I tried this, so I don't know if it's working with the newer files, too... :roll:

But anyway, if you didn't know this already, here are some links:

- Download: https://github.com/DW2MC/DistantWorlds2 ... tag/v1.1.1
- CODE: https://www.reddit.com/r/DistantWorlds/ ... _released/
- Instructions: https://github.com/DW2MC/DistantWorlds2 ... Program.cs

(I think this was from "Q" (on Steam, or "TylerN" here), who now is part of the DEV-team, too :idea: )
rxnnxs

Post by rxnnxs »

thank you for these links.
Now I have to build that stuff. Stuff that takes time. Haha, awesome. But I see it positive - I learn while doing that.
frankycl

Post by frankycl »

rxnnxs wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:28 pm thank you for these links.
Now I have to build that stuff. Stuff that takes time. Haha, awesome. But I see it positive - I learn while doing that.
Yeah - and please tell me/us if it's still working and what you can do with it. ;)
rxnnxs

Post by rxnnxs »

frankycl wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:37 pm
rxnnxs wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:28 pm thank you for these links.
Yeah - and please tell me/us if it's still working and what you can do with it. ;)
I can tell you I am working right now on the music.
I made one placeholdersound, and have a batch that replaces all music with that file.

Take care, it replaces ALL *.mp3 at location of the batch file and all subfolders!

I placed it in a music mod that I made, where I cpoied all data/music-contens in it.
then the batch replaces all files with the one placeholder music.

GUESS WHAT: the music plays often (from credits to main galaxy view) but the old music is still playing sometimes.
I wonder why...
So here is what you can use to make your own music mod (I know you and your son are up to something).
Problem might be the copyright. I can assure you, what I do, is handmade :-)

So here you can just try for yourself
JustMusic.7z
Just Music mod with ONE keyboard "riff"
(128.11 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
frankycl

Post by frankycl »

rxnnxs wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:04 am I can tell you I am working right now on the music.
I made one placeholdersound, and have a batch that replaces all music with that file.
Hm - what's the difference to just replace the files - or delete all sub-folders and to put all (new) files in the music-folder :?:

rxnnxs wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:04 am GUESS WHAT: the music plays often (from credits to main galaxy view) but the old music is still playing sometimes.
I wonder why...
That's easy to explain:

Since your batch-file exchanges only MP3-files, the remaining NON-MP3-files can be played by the game nevertheless. ;)

rxnnxs wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:04 am So here is what you can use to make your own music mod (I know you and your son are up to something).
Problem might be the copyright. I can assure you, what I do, is handmade :-)
Thank you very much ! :) - but I'm affraid it won't help with my own (/our) music-mod, because I'm (/we're) not intending to just replace some music-files, but to change the whole music-management-system, in order to be able to let the music play in specific various game-situations/locations, etc. - independent of what music you want to use or to what detail-level (of in-game-triggers) you want specific music to be played. :)
rxnnxs

Post by rxnnxs »

yeah, right, I forgot and it came to my mind also:
sure, there are wav files, they are exactly the same music, but are nonetheless also there. and since my mod does not have them, they are taken - so I have to replace them - with a wav file that is as small as possible.

what you are trying to do is not possible at the moment.

Why I am doing it automated and not by hand? the automation does it in a second, you do it in six hours. And how do you figure out what plays when? low, medium, high? What are the music files for at all - they all sound the same?!

and if they are replaced, you can one by one replace them with a differen tfile and find then out WHEN they are played.
it is tedious enough.
but let us stop here and when we have some good stuff, open a thread especially for music.
frankycl

Post by frankycl »

rxnnxs wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:37 pm what you are trying to do is not possible at the moment.
Well, "not possible" is not the same as "impossible", it seems :D - but it's not easy and takes a lot of time... :(
(The greatest problem is to get to know what the above "triggers" in-game are called in code, my son says... :? - but it's not impossible to find out with code-editing and testing... :) )

However there are much more pressing projects for me atm (and my son doesn't have much time for this, too), so it may also take so long, that maybe the DEVs open up the code for it finally, anyway... :roll: - we'll see.
Krankenhausen

Post by Krankenhausen »

I'm trying to install Xenko/Stride. Downloaded the launcher from the Stride website but the latest version it's showing is Xenko 3.0.0.9 and that's what it's installing when I select the latest version. Any tips for what is going on?

It's a bit strange because the news in the launcher talks about 4.1 and that's also the version mentioned on the download button on the website.
Attachments
Stride setup window.jpg
Stride setup window.jpg (232 KiB) Viewed 669 times
runandhidegamer

Krankenhausen wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 9:11 pm I'm trying to install Xenko/Stride. Downloaded the launcher from the Stride website but the latest version it's showing is Xenko 3.0.0.9 and that's what it's installing when I select the latest version. Any tips for what is going on?

It's a bit strange because the news in the launcher talks about 4.1 and that's also the version mentioned on the download button on the website.

You will need to press the red button to install the latest version of Stride which will be 4.1..... once you have that installed it will no longer ask you to install the latest version.

Stride Install.png
Stride Install.png (235.49 KiB) Viewed 657 times
runandhidegamer

Krankenhausen wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 9:11 pm I'm trying to install Xenko/Stride. Downloaded the launcher from the Stride website but the latest version it's showing is Xenko 3.0.0.9 and that's what it's installing when I select the latest version. Any tips for what is going on?

You will need to press the red button to install the latest version of Stride which will be 4.1..... once you have that installed it will no longer ask you to install the latest version.

Stride Install.png
Stride Install.png (235.49 KiB) Viewed 657 times
Krankenhausen

Post by Krankenhausen »

runandhidegamer wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 8:09 pm

Stride Install.png
Thank you for your answer but if I do that it installs 3.0.0.9. And I don't understand why it's picking an old version. I'm running Windows 10
Attachments
strideinstaller.gif
strideinstaller.gif (1.34 MiB) Viewed 650 times

Return to “Design and Modding”