Star Trek Development - Latest news : The races are now being added to the mod

Please post here for questions and discussion about data, event, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderator: MOD_DW2

runandhidegamer

More races coming to the Star Trek mod

Post by runandhidegamer »

More races are being added to the mod today:

Bajoran
Benzite
Betazoid
Bolian
Deltan
Trill
runandhidegamer

17 Races In The Star Trek Mod

This Is An Updated List Of The Races Playable So Far In The Mod

17 races.png
17 races.png (807.21 KiB) Viewed 803 times
runandhidegamer

James T Kirk

A lot of progress was made in the early hours of this morning with many thanks to Tyler.

Now to begin changing the art in the mod.

James T Kirk.png
James T Kirk.png (238.56 KiB) Viewed 735 times
Last edited by runandhidegamer on Wed May 17, 2023 4:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ncc1701e

Re: Star Trek Development - Latest news : We are the Borg. Resistence is Futile.

Post by ncc1701e »

Nice work.
Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.
runandhidegamer

The Human Bundle File

I need to work out the details of the file structure and how things work in Distant Worlds..... so while I am going through the Bundle Files I am copying everything in the bundle file and putting them in the groups of :

1. Textures
2. Models
3. Skeletons
4. Material
5. Buffers
6. Data

This gives me a nice tidy version of what is in the Bundle and how to access it.

You can see in the last line of Textures the section UserInterface/Races/Human
This is where I am working at the moment

screen 27.png
screen 27.png (450.4 KiB) Viewed 737 times
Last edited by runandhidegamer on Wed May 17, 2023 4:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
runandhidegamer

Changing The Race Flags

Over the next week I will also be changing the flags in Distant Worlds 2 to the flags each civilization uses in Star Trek.

This is the first of the flags used by the Humans in DW2.

screen 26.png
screen 26.png (108.86 KiB) Viewed 739 times
runandhidegamer

A Prelude To Mapping

This mod is going to have a highly detailed map of each Sector and every Quadrant in Star Trek beginning with the Alpha and Beta Quadrants with a plan to then expand to the Delta and Gamma Quadrant.

The picture below shows an example of what is going to be mapped.

At the bottom of this section of the map you can see the Qo'noS sector in the Beta Quadrant and this of course is where the Klingon Homeworld is.

So what level of detail is going into this map

The Qo'noS sector has the following systems

Ghuh'woq system
K'thar system
Nawlogh system
No'mat system
Qay'ghun system
Saqghom system

The K'thar system is a binary star system , not sure if this can be mapped in DW2, with the system having the following planets:

- Qo'noS and it's moon Praxis
- Kobek

And with detailed maps of every system I can place both of those worlds in the correct spot within the system.

The level of detail in this mod is going to be a huge undertaking which is why the mapping starts now.

The Map.png
The Map.png (2.44 MiB) Viewed 725 times
runandhidegamer

The Alpha and Beta Quadrants

There are many maps available online showing the Alpha, Beta, Gamma and Delta Quadrants...... the maps for Star Trek Online being probably the most viewed.

However, I have decided to not use the Star Trek Online maps other than to reference the systems they are showing as being in a particular sector of space and making sure I have them included in my mapping using my own chosen map as shown in full below.

On the full map shown here, the white text shows the different sectors, with each sector having one or more systems, with each system having at least one star around which orbits one or more planets and moons.

The Alpha and Beta Quadrants.png
The Alpha and Beta Quadrants.png (1.48 MiB) Viewed 723 times
runandhidegamer

More Changes To The Mapping

I have made some changes to the way I will do the map while I develop this mod......
Will provide more details of that later but this will get around some limitations so far with Distant Worlds 2

The Gorn Hegemony has very little detail on the maps available for what systems they do have..... but I have added in 16 systems that belong to the Gorn which when appearing in the mod will belong to The Gorn Hegemony......

The image below shows what is generally known of Gorn space......not very much...My mod will have the proper systems in place for Gorn Space.

Gorn Space.png
Gorn Space.png (906.68 KiB) Viewed 714 times
runandhidegamer

First Contact With The Borg

Now we are in the really fun part of modding Distant Worlds 2..... adding each of the races to the mod.

We sat down with the developers to find out exactly how we add races to the mod. We then documented tjhe process and got down to adding the races starting yesterday. So far we have these races in the mod:

- Andorian
- Borg
- Cardassian
- Federation
- Klingon
- Romulan
- Vulcan

With another 10 races to be added over the next few days.

screen 45.png
screen 45.png (691.25 KiB) Viewed 661 times
runandhidegamer

The Race Portraits

At this early stage of development the portraits are fairly rough and will be worked on before release of the mod.
runandhidegamer

The Wrath Of Khan

The timeline of the mod is around the time of the Wrath of Khan.... however the Borg had once again traveled back in the past and this time successfully changed history as well as the future.

screen 47.png
screen 47.png (717.7 KiB) Viewed 653 times
runandhidegamer

Hot Times In The Tholian Assembly

The Tholians have been a long interesting race for us and they definitely needed a place in the mod. We did some modifying of the standard look of the Tholian and if you look at the picture below you can see the head and neck of the Tholian.

Is this what a Tholian looks like?

screen 48.png
screen 48.png (774.77 KiB) Viewed 647 times
runandhidegamer

The Orion Women

It is not widely known but with the Orion race, the males are the slaves to the women. To deceive other races, the Orions pretend that the Orion females are the ones who are the slaves.

This is the reason the female Orion is shown here.

screen 49.png
screen 49.png (738.26 KiB) Viewed 625 times
runandhidegamer

The Orion

The picture of the Orion will be fixed before the mod is released.
runandhidegamer

The Troubles With Gorn

Adding the Gorn was a little difficult for some reason but we think it was well worth it.

screen 50.png
screen 50.png (762.38 KiB) Viewed 623 times
runandhidegamer

There Will Be War

Both Cardassia and Bajor will be involved in a major war during the events in this mod. Will Starfleet send diplomats to try and prevent war spreading any further?

screen 51.png
screen 51.png (792.61 KiB) Viewed 559 times
runandhidegamer

The Previews

The screenshots are slightly enlarged here on the forum and the quality of the portrait images is much better in the game.
runandhidegamer

The Benzites

We made some changes to the mod. Originally the Benzites, Bolian and Betazoids were going to be playable races but we have made the decision for them not to be playable and leave them as a race that will be encountered in the game.
runandhidegamer

12 Years after the arrival of V'ger

Twelve years have passed since Starfleet encountered V'ger and as we approach the events of the Wrath of Khan, the Borg suddenly appears in Federation space after they scanned V'ger and determined the location of Sol. This will see the return of Ilia and Decker.

screen 52.png
screen 52.png (781.85 KiB) Viewed 544 times

Return to “Design and Modding”