AI research priority request...

Please post here for questions and discussion about data, event, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderator: MOD_DW2

Jorgen_CAB

AI research priority request...

Post by Jorgen_CAB »

One other things that I really would like to be able to do is guiding the AI to have a higher priority for certain specific technologies.

I know there is a "BonusPriority" value you can set in the policy files, but this is a very broad tool... I want the AI to specifically target certain technologies. If there was a value in the ResearchProjectDefinition file where I could set a weighted value for a specific race would be really valuable.

I usually find the AI research, especially weapon technologies, all over the place where it should concentrate on two to three technologies. This way I could assure the AI do prioritize research in certain areas depending on the race in a more direct way.

For example, it seem very difficult to get the Zenox race to focus on their race specific beam weapons. They will eventually get it, but it have basically researched most of the other weapons up to that point before... they should really beeline to "Multiple Beam Weapons" much quicker.

I also don't fine where the "BonusPriority" is defines if I add components, it certainly is not in the componentdefinition file even if the ComponentDefinitionList.xsd file say it should be there?!?
frankycl

Re: AI research priority request...

Post by frankycl »

Jorgen_CAB wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:31 pm One other things that I really would like to be able to do is guiding the AI to have a higher priority for certain specific technologies.

I know there is a "BonusPriority" value you can set in the policy files, but this is a very broad tool... I want the AI to specifically target certain technologies. If there was a value in the ResearchProjectDefinition file where I could set a weighted value for a specific race would be really valuable.

I usually find the AI research, especially weapon technologies, all over the place where it should concentrate on two to three technologies. This way I could assure the AI do prioritize research in certain areas depending on the race in a more direct way.

For example, it seem very difficult to get the Zenox race to focus on their race specific beam weapons. They will eventually get it, but it have basically researched most of the other weapons up to that point before... they should really beeline to "Multiple Beam Weapons" much quicker.

I also don't fine where the "BonusPriority" is defines if I add components, it certainly is not in the componentdefinition file even if the ComponentDefinitionList.xsd file say it should be there?!?
Well, you could also make some techs exclusive for special races - and when you do this for all techs a specific AI-race should use, they shouldn't be able to use other thechs - so, it's like the highest priority you could set, I think. ;)
(However you would have to disable tech-trading and -stealing for all races, additionally ! :? )
Jorgen_CAB

Post by Jorgen_CAB »

Yes... this is what I am working on for my AI overhaul mod, which is becoming way more involved than I intentionally figured.

Here is part of a Haakonish AI and their weapon tree... an AI faction in one of the test games.

So, research here is allot more restrictive. I don't think that tech trading and stealing is a huge issue. Getting the odd technology from trading and/stealing is OK. I just want the different races to actually feel different and have different priorities and doctrines.

I think I have managed this quite well so far in my mod that I'm just now testing. All the factions ships and fleets really feel very different. Every race now have specific ship designs and different fleet configurations that also act differently from each other.

The Acdarians will now show up with fleets bristling with carriers and not as many battleships while the Zenox are pretty much the reverse. Baskaran will attack and swarm you ferociously and board anything that moves, etc... Mortalen fleets feel more tactical in nature and sometimes even manage to tactically outmanoeuvre you with there heavy hitters and tactical manoeuvre fleets.

The AI are still the AI with limitations, but now at least the different races actually feel and act differently and that is my goal. I still have a long way to go finishing all the designs for all the races and then balance many of the components to fit with the new research options and limitations.
frankycl

Post by frankycl »

Looks really good :D (but where's the download ?)
Jorgen_CAB

Post by Jorgen_CAB »

frankycl wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:21 pm Looks really good :D (but where's the download ?)
Good question... :)

I will release a beta once I have done most of the military ship designs for all the races, then I will need all the balancing done and extensive tests done to make sure everything work as intended. But so far so good, the research tree is basically done for all races.
frankycl

Post by frankycl »

Jorgen_CAB wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:10 am
frankycl wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:21 pm Looks really good :D (but where's the download ?)
Good question... :)

I will release a beta once I have done most of the military ship designs for all the races, then I will need all the balancing done and extensive tests done to make sure everything work as intended. But so far so good, the research tree is basically done for all races.
Hm - yes, of course, you can do it just like you want (and I think your plans are very good, too) :)
But regarding bug-searching/balancing, etc. you could also (try to) get some help from others - if you release it even in a pre-alpha-state; - after all, that's what communities are for, I think. ;)
Jorgen_CAB

Post by Jorgen_CAB »

Yes... but... if I release it in a state that I know is not finished to a certain degree I will just get questions and reports on things I have not done or know is an issue, so is not really helpful in that way.

That is why I need to have it in a certain basic state before I release it. Based on time I have on hand it may take another week or two to get to that stage, perhaps sooner if I'm lucky. But I have made some good progress over the last week.

Return to “Design and Modding”