Ship fleet & design modding for AI and automation request...

Please post here for questions and discussion about data, event, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderator: MOD_DW2

Jorgen_CAB

Ship fleet & design modding for AI and automation request...

Post by Jorgen_CAB »

I'm currently working on modding the AI to make it play the game better and one step in this is to use the ship design template to design ships and bases specific for each race.

I have made some pretty good progress at this and there is basically one major thing missing that I can't do and that is set each designs upgrade path from "Largest Latest hull of Role" to "Latest hull of hull Type".

If I could do this I could have the AI build different designs for fleets and the AI actually would manage this... So I could have the Attack fleet with two Command Cruisers and three Heavy Cruisers for example. I could then make designs that is more like a player would build them.

I can currently have different hull types in fleets, but the AI will after a while retrofit the ships to the latest largest ship of the role. So it only work half way right now.

One other thing I do think we also could need is being able to use more than the four default fleets for the AI but have a weighting value on each fleet how many of that type the AI should build. If the AI want five defensive fleets and there is two types available it would build them according to a weighted system on a simple value you add to the Fleet template.

This way modders could create some really unique experiences from the different races both in ship design and fleet doctrines . These would be two relatively small additions to the game with a rather big impact in my opinion.
AKicebear

Re: Ship fleet & design modding for AI and automation request...

Post by AKicebear »

Great ideas - hope the devs take those in, and look forward to your mod eventually!

Return to “Design and Modding”