Particle Effect Modding

Please post here for questions and discussion about data, event, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderator: MOD_DW2

Ajeyyy

Particle Effect Modding

Post by Ajeyyy »

Hi i am a modder from another SCI Fi X4 Strategy Game and i was thinking about creating a graphical mod for this game (DW2) in the future. However, i only found some information about ship modelling and almost no information about particle effect modding for DW2 - especially where to find the files for the effects (speaking of code + dds or other format files). I would be interested in creating a mod that reworks how explosion/hit effects, as well as projectile/beam effects look like in game (as well as other particle effects like maybe exhaust trails and so on). Is this even possible/allowed with DW2? If yes, does anybody know where to find the corresponding files? i was looking for dds files or other graphical files but so far i didn't find much when looking through the DW2 game folder. thanks for any help!
frankycl

Re: Particle Effect Modding

Post by frankycl »

Ajeyyy wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:08 pm (...) i only found some information about ship modelling and almost no information about particle effect modding for DW2 - especially where to find the files for the effects (...) does anybody know where to find the corresponding files?
Sadly this is one of the important things that aren't moddable so far, since the needed files are all locked in the db-files in the data-folder. :(
You could mod them nevertheless, but you'd need to use the complex (and not very easy to use) Stride3D-editor for this. ;)
Ajeyyy

Post by Ajeyyy »

thank you for your response!
rxnnxs

Post by rxnnxs »

yeah, my next project would be to install this stride-monster on a pc.
I mean, the microsoft-whatever-code is huge!

Return to “Design and Modding”