Mod feasability question

Please post here for questions and discussion about data, event, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderator: MOD_DW2

zgrssd

Mod feasability question

Post by zgrssd »

I had a idea for a Mod and was wondering how feasible it would be.

My idea:
In the research screen, techs are color coded based on their research Category.
But that is not really that useful information. I don't even care what the tech that unlocks the Planetary Administration is named, never mind what Research category it belongs that.
The category at tops comes up when I need to reach the bonus tresholds.

A information I do want, is how expensive each tech is (relative to the others). It makes a difference if a tech has a cost of 150 or 150000 Science.
Question 1: So I was wondering if color coding based on that would be possible? Can I change the color coding of the Research Screen? Could I use a thing like cost for it?

In a ideal scenario I would not even look at the raw cost - I would look only at the remaining research time, rather then any absolute value. For this it doesn't mater if it only takes 1 year because the tech is cheap at 150, or because I have 99.9% of that 150000 tech finished - I only care it takes me a year to finish.
So in this variant, I would look at remaining time. This would account for cheap cost, increasing science output, percentile bonuses and even getting partial progress from events.
Question 2: Could I go one further and base the color coding on the remaining time, rather then the fixed full cost?
frankycl

Re: Mod feasability question

Post by frankycl »

Sorry, I don't know the answers to your questions, but I had to answer, in order to update this damn forum program (because otherwise the thread is always marked as "unread", independent of how often I read the posts. :roll:
zgrssd

Post by zgrssd »

frankycl wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:18 pm Sorry, I don't know the answers to your questions, but I had to answer, in order to update this damn forum program (because otherwise the thread is always marked as "unread", independent of how often I read the posts. :roll:
Thanks for Bumping it up then.

I hope it is possible. I keep realizing how little the Category color coding maters right now.
iancmtaylor

Post by iancmtaylor »

No, color of research types is prescribed by the game, we have no access to it with what they've opened for modding.
I am /u/SharkMolester, moderator of /r/DistantWorlds and BFHKitteh, admin of https://dw2.fandom.com/wiki/Distant_Worlds_2_Wiki.

Return to “Design and Modding”