DW2-XL v1.11.7 Available

Please post here for questions and discussion about data, event, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderator: MOD_DW2

mordachai

Re: DW2-XL Alpha Available

Post by mordachai »

Yeah - nice changes on the orbtypes. Any chance you want to share that here?

I also want to edit the galaxy settings. I also find there to be Waaaaay too many worlds and so on - I end up 16 worlds fully populated in one corner of the 8x8 with 1K worlds, rarest colonizable and rarest neutrals. It's just too much, and it bogs the game engine down terribly by late-mid / early-late game. And it's not much fun managing so many worlds - Automation is terrible at even the basics of what to upgrade, what to build, how to manage troops, etc.

I esp. like setting the minimum % of a resource to say 9%. I find the ultra-low ones meaningless as well.

I'd like to differentiate the reactors better. Right now having essentially a "big, inefficient one" vs. a "small, efficient one" that you have to use multiple of is just kind of yucky. No fun value there.

Thinking of maybe doing the old DW:U (mod) thing of having different reactors use different gas types. Not sure if the current engine & AI & etc. could handle that - or it would be a cluster-!@#$.
mordachai

Post by mordachai »

Updated OP for 1.6.0 release available now.
mordachai

Post by mordachai »

I'm softening some of the choices I made in 1.6.0 - I'll have a 1.6.1 that mellows the shield changes a bit (they were a little steep, and led to mid game having a hard time killing pirate bases and the like which have v3 corvidian shields typically (which was 1000, and is now 700 - a wee bit more defeatable).

I'll post an update as soon as I adapt any changes needed for 1.0.8.3 out just now...
Franky007

Post by Franky007 »

mordachai wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:09 pm I'll post an update as soon as I adapt any changes needed for 1.0.8.3 out just now...
Thanks for your work.
:)
mordachai

Post by mordachai »

v1.6.1 available (see OP)
Intaka

Post by Intaka »

In the current DW2-XL 1.8.3 compatible build v1.6.1, it is possible to get the Inertialess Thrusters Artifact, which gives the Inertialess Thruster Technology for research (even though all other thrusters are removed from the tech tree). Since there are no thrusters, the technology hangs at 1 day remaining, and if it was rushed... well, technology research becomes locked.

Balance seems good in the current playthrough, and bug free (except mentioned above). Your changes combined with the 1.8.3 improvements to performance, AI, etc make for a very playable and engaging game.

Great work, I hope you continue to enjoy the game and iterate on your project. It is the best currently active project in these modding forums at the moment!
mordachai

Post by mordachai »

Intaka wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 9:11 am In the current DW2-XL 1.8.3 compatible build v1.6.1, it is possible to get the Inertialess Thrusters Artifact, which gives the Inertialess Thruster Technology for research (even though all other thrusters are removed from the tech tree). Since there are no thrusters, the technology hangs at 1 day remaining, and if it was rushed... well, technology research becomes locked.

Balance seems good in the current playthrough, and bug free (except mentioned above). Your changes combined with the 1.8.3 improvements to performance, AI, etc make for a very playable and engaging game.

Great work, I hope you continue to enjoy the game and iterate on your project. It is the best currently active project in these modding forums at the moment!
Appreciate the positive feedback - thanks.

I'm not sure why the inertialess thruster would cause an issue. The game often still reveals the basic maneuvering thruster, and obviously that super tech still shows up if you find the artifact for it (my current game has it in the tech tree).

But why it would fail to research? I didn't remove any vanilla components, only added more. Same with tech tree. The only bug previously found was basically I had moved some techs too far down in rows which interfered with the dynamic shakturi plague tech / event, which requires that it be placeable at the end, which must be < 1000 (or something like this).

the inertialess thrusters should just enable a vanilla component. no big deal. I'll try researching in my current game to see if that has issues && if I can get any hints as to what the issue could be?

Maybe there's another event that triggers when you get that tech - and it's messed up by some change I made? :/

--------------------------
UPDATE: It works for me on 1.0.8.3 :shrug:
Super Vectoring.png
Super Vectoring.png (1.72 MiB) Viewed 984 times
and:
Super Maneuvering.png
Super Maneuvering.png (1.02 MiB) Viewed 984 times
I am always using the latest beta build from Slytherin - so 1.0.8.3. Maybe you're using 1.0.6.1? Probably the issue?

I see on the forums that 1.0.8.3 is now the official release anyway, with a new beta coming. This mod, up until now, has used the latest betas because of the extent of bugs & bug fixes in the engine made staying with the official builds impossible.

Going forward, maybe I'll split it into an official and beta branch - using the current one basically as the official branch, and start a new one when they drop the next beta.
jurassic_v

Post by jurassic_v »

Hi! Thank you mordachai for working on this mod. I'm really happy someone decided to stick to the game even though the release version wasn't up to standards. I was waiting for updates of the base game as well as some nice modification to start a new game and it seems the time is now.

I just wanted to ask if the current version of mod is ready to play with the last patch slytherine released ?
mordachai

Post by mordachai »

jurassic_v wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:01 am Hi! Thank you mordachai for working on this mod. I'm really happy someone decided to stick to the game even though the release version wasn't up to standards. I was waiting for updates of the base game as well as some nice modification to start a new game and it seems the time is now.

I just wanted to ask if the current version of mod is ready to play with the last patch slytherine released ?
DW:2 v1.0.8.3 is what this mod is 100% compatible with (which was the beta, but I believe is now the official release, IIUC).

I just pushed up v1.6.3 of this mod, which slows fighter fire down a bit to give each shot more punch.
this should:
1. Allow them to punch through more deflection shielding & reactive armors (they were pretty anemic lately
2. Be CPU friendlier (lower ROF means less computations/tick).
EmperorBob

Re: DW2-XL v1.6.3 Available

Post by EmperorBob »

Hi, just want to mirror appreciations also for working on mods for this game. I just wanted to confirm regarding mod installation. As I installed it but DW2 (latest version - steam) doesn't appear able to load now. Do I put all the files not in the data folder in the base DW2 directory? Or only merge the data folder? (I put the files not in data in the root directory, to clarify, but that wasn't explicitly on the instructions to do so.) Sorry, I just read earlier posts in this thread, it answered the questions, nm.
mordachai

Post by mordachai »

you only need the files in the data folder to be merged into the data folder of the game. The rest is irrelevant (they're there for my modding).

So:

dw2-xl/data/* -> steam/.../dw2/data

You can backup your standard data folder first, or you can just use the steam "validate files" to revert when / if you want to revert to vanilla.

Hope that helps!
Scott2933

Post by Scott2933 »

Love this mod - really enjoying it. Thank you.

I am having a problems with REALLY long assimilation times. Just wanted to confirm (I didn't see it in any of the docs) that this mod doesn't affect that. It's fine if it does and I just missed it - I just wanted to check before I report a problem with the base game (I know I could remove the mod and test - but I'm in the middle of a saved game - so before I spend time testing the base game I just wanted to confirm)
mordachai

Post by mordachai »

Scott2933 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:51 pm Love this mod - really enjoying it. Thank you.

I am having a problems with REALLY long assimilation times. Just wanted to confirm (I didn't see it in any of the docs) that this mod doesn't affect that. It's fine if it does and I just missed it - I just wanted to check before I report a problem with the base game (I know I could remove the mod and test - but I'm in the middle of a saved game - so before I spend time testing the base game I just wanted to confirm)
Squee! Glad you're enjoying it!!!

I'm just now rereading your guide trying to find info on planetary shields (and generally review for missing info for myself). Very much appreciate that guide! Was even feeling a little inspired to write a DW2-XL extension guide for folks who want to play this after reading that. But... couldn't do anything as in-depth, but something to help bridge the gap.

No, I don't tweak the assimilation values. At least, not intentionally! (which, I think means, no - 'cause I'm pretty careful to change just what I intend to, but...)

The language / diplomacy techs increase assimilation speed now (dunno if they always did but we weren't informed, or if it's new to 1.0.8.4?).
mordachai

Re: DW2-XL v1.7.0 Available

Post by mordachai »

Scott2933

Post by Scott2933 »

mordachai wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 5:18 pm
Scott2933 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:51 pm Love this mod - really enjoying it. Thank you.

I'm just now rereading your guide trying to find info on planetary shields (and generally review for missing info for myself). Very much appreciate that guide! Was even feeling a little inspired to write a DW2-XL extension guide for folks who want to play this after reading that. But... couldn't do anything as in-depth, but something to help bridge the gap.

No, I don't tweak the assimilation values. At least, not intentionally! (which, I think means, no - 'cause I'm pretty careful to change just what I intend to, but...)

The language / diplomacy techs increase assimilation speed now (dunno if they always did but we weren't informed, or if it's new to 1.0.8.4?).

Yeah - it needs an update as some of the things have changed. I've picked up a second job and literally working 70 hrs a week - so it's take so much of my time.

I think it was the diplomacy techs - they must have nerfed assimilation base rates with the expectation that you will have to invest in those techs. Makes senses - just didn't realize it.
mordachai

Post by mordachai »

Yikes! I did close to 70/week programming when I changed my last employer :D
Needed to establish myself as "one of the best" and core people.
Now I work closer to 40-50/week, depending on health / life / needs of the work.

My life was wake, work, eat, work, sleep. Good luck with that! Hope it transforms to be more sustainable soon!

One thing I did change that might have an impact was to tweak the dislike values amongst government types - with an emphasis on dislikes - so that democracies are more repulsed by anything that takes away personal autonomy sort of thing -- seemed like many of the relationships philosophically were milquetoast in vanilla, and generally folks got along waaaay too well. Can't say my changes are perfect - more of a step towards a more disgruntled and suspicious universe. Still, it's possible that some of that influences assimilation rates? Long shot?

I've added a few tables to my project's readme.md -- for hull sizes, and now armors. I'll add more as I go. But folks might find that helpful (I know I did) :D

There's a new version - 1.7.1 -- I did not zip it - just pushed it - so you'd have to pull the repo through git if you want to try it out. Majorly improved armors, and added a new line of armor "reactive" -- which is all about that reactive value, while giving the main core armor line more blast rating - given 3 separate lines of armors: blast, ion, reactive; and of course the flux armors for Boskarans.

One thing I would love to know: what damage levels do ion storms kick out? I know that with even the first level of ion armor, ships tend to operate w/o issue in ion storms (that's ion defense of 8 -- but I don't know if that stacks with multiple plates of armor, or is just the "worst" amongst mixed armors, or what?)

I'm not sure how to allot ion defense to the other armors in a way that is meaningful in game w/o understanding the ion attack and defense values (and natural storms). Dunno if you have any working knowledge of that?
Intaka

Post by Intaka »

TL;DR 8 max ion damage from a gravitic storm, 4 from ion storm

Image captured from in game Galactopedia > Game Concepts > Nebula:
Attachments
DW2 Nebula Effects.jpg
DW2 Nebula Effects.jpg (108.81 KiB) Viewed 775 times
Intaka

Post by Intaka »

In the ship design screen only 3 things add global "ion defense". Multiple copies of a particular global ion defense type do not stack, only the best in each category. The best global ion defense value from a shield, armor and the "ion shield". All other ion defense is "component ion defense" which I believe only applies to that component.

Return to “Design and Modding”