DW2 Modding Roadmap

Please post here for questions and discussion about data, event, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderator: MOD_DW2

Miletkir

Re: DW2 Modding Roadmap

Post by Miletkir »

Data are loaded when starting a new game. There's no way currently to change data (such as for components) after a game is started.
Enki396

Post by Enki396 »

elliotg wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:14 am DW2 already handles items 1, 2 and 3 using various tools. Item 4 is only weakly supported.

Art Content
This includes the following items: ship models and textures, static images, UI icons, particle effects, sound effects.
Are we able to mod particle effects already? I am looking forward to mod weapon effects, but more important, shield effects and the destruction of ships, explosion, debris, ect.?
frankycl

Post by frankycl »

Arcurus wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:49 pm I edited the ComponentDefinitions, but the changes showed only up after starting two times from new.
The changes don't show up in saved games.
Is it possible to change the components also for saved games? If so how?
Yes, it is possible (orit should be) - with the handy mod-loader from Tyler-IN (or ̑🅠 on Discord) - see here: https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... 9&t=381784

This will alter the files "on the fly" (simply put) - and therefore will also be used in older saves. ;)

EDIT: However this might also cause some problems/issues, when in your save were things in use that are now missing in your mod - so, it might need some serious testing, too. ;)

Also: Not all changes that are possible in the files are updated by a save - so there might be a possibility that your ComponentDefinitions might not be affected - I don't know - you'd have to try this on your own. (but if you only edited the values it should be possible ;) )

EDIT: Sorry - it seems only possible with other files than the XMLs (just done some additional testing) :cry:
ioulaum

Post by ioulaum »

Dear development team,

Is there any chance to get a document for DesignTemplates.xml?

I'm confused with some of the terms like:
<ComponentBayOversizeAllowance>
<AutoFillUnusedComponentBays>
<FuelTankCount>

As those doesn't seems to work as I modified.

Thanks in advance. :)
Eventure

Post by Eventure »

ioulaum wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:32 am Dear development team,

Is there any chance to get a document for DesignTemplates.xml?

I'm confused with some of the terms like:
<ComponentBayOversizeAllowance>
<AutoFillUnusedComponentBays>
<FuelTankCount>

As those doesn't seems to work as I modified.

Thanks in advance. :)
I would add a request of documentations for all XML files, which I would add to the Mod Maker Wiki for referrence.
AKicebear

Post by AKicebear »

elliotg wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:14 am As I see it there are 5 main areas of modding:
1. Data - configuration data and game text
2. Art Content - models, textures, sounds
3. Story and Events - linked events that unfold stories
4. Game Logic - code or data that strongly influences how the game plays
5. Mod Management - installing mods, handling multiple active mods

DW2 already handles items 1, 2 and 3 using various tools. Item 4 is only weakly supported. Item 5 is completely missing. We will be working to improve our support for points 4 and 5 in the coming weeks and months.
Hi Elliott - I understand your priorities naturally have been on performance and critical bugs. Nonetheless, curious if there are any updates on plans to de obfuscate the game code, or add mod management/discovery?
zacps

Post by zacps »

I'm a machine learning researcher and would be interested in exploring reinforcement learning in a setting like DW2.

To be feasible it'd need to be possible to obtain the observable game state, perform arbitrary logic, and return chosen actions.

As far as I've seen no 4x games really offer this level of control, but it'd be cool if DW2 was the first :).
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

Have anyone manage to make a custom race or even alter one of those race pic? I wanted to make Boskara look like a Alien from Ridley's Scott movie. All i see is body parts in CharacterAnimations folder. Wondering if i can make a static simple pic, but i will need to change the command line to launch it.

Can anyone help?
Eventure

Post by Eventure »

Hi Devs,

with the 1.0.8.1 beta update, new entries were added to the gameevents.xml file.

These are for game events:
- AllConditionsMustBeMet (boolean)

And for GameEventActions:
- AllConditionsMustBeMet (boolean)
- ActionObjectId (short?)
- ActionObjectType (?)

Since nothing was reported anywhere about the new entries, would it be possible for you to update the GameEvents.xsd file in case the ActionObjectType entry has a new enumeration?
And if no new enumeration is needed, then what type is the ActionObjectType entry?

Thanks in advance!
mavor

Post by mavor »

elliotg wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:14 am Connecting to Game Code
The code in DW2 is currently obfuscated. However we plan to deobfuscate most of this to allow access to code modding.
Has anything been done about code obfuscation?
rxnnxs

Post by rxnnxs »

It is not even possible to change sound effects. I do not understand the reason.
mordachai

Post by mordachai »

I'm unclear on how to get .shmd files integrated into my mod w/o doing the old skool overwrite approach?

Basically - some of the .xml modifications in my mod require that those files be regenerated. Is this system smart enough to know to do this and do it automatically (and keep track of when it needs to regen again based on further changes)?

Or am I intended to also supply those files with a _MOD file variant to "overwrite" the base copy?
arvcran2

Post by arvcran2 »

mordachai wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:51 pm I'm unclear on how to get .shmd files integrated into my mod w/o doing the old skool overwrite approach?

Basically - some of the .xml modifications in my mod require that those files be regenerated. Is this system smart enough to know to do this and do it automatically (and keep track of when it needs to regen again based on further changes)?

Or am I intended to also supply those files with a _MOD file variant to "overwrite" the base copy?
I cannot guarantee success for your mod in doing this, but if you delete the .shmd files you need regenerating, the game will regenerate them for you.
mordachai

Post by mordachai »

Yeah - that's how I generated the mod's version of those files.

But this is intended to be a "mod supplies files & game has way to integrate that" -- and I'm trying to understand "well, does it?"

Seems like the current answer is "well, no, not currently."
arvcran2

Post by arvcran2 »

mordachai wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:06 am Yeah - that's how I generated the mod's version of those files.

But this is intended to be a "mod supplies files & game has way to integrate that" -- and I'm trying to understand "well, does it?"

Seems like the current answer is "well, no, not currently."
I understand what you are saying. Your mod will work for you and only for others if they know how to have the .shmd files regenerated, unless the game is able to detect the need to regenerate the .shmd files based on the mod's data. Yet another feature opportunity for development in the long list. Since you are the champion of your need, and also have a good understanding of what may be needed to make it work properly, my suggestion is for you to make a ticket in the tech support forum so this is hopefully not lost here. ;-).
Argor

Post by Argor »

elliotg wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:14 am As I see it there are 5 main areas of modding:
1. Data - configuration data and game text
2. Art Content - models, textures, sounds
3. Story and Events - linked events that unfold stories
4. Game Logic - code or data that strongly influences how the game plays
5. Mod Management - installing mods, handling multiple active mods
I see a sixth area:

6. Somewhere to find the mods.

I'm not trying to be rude. I'm just a simple user who often find modding difficult.

I know of zero DW2 mods. After taking a look here I know of only one DW2 mod. (DW2-XL. I think it alters techs somehow)

I assume the absence of mods from the Steam workshop is due to technical difficulties, and that it'll added one day.
Until then, could we have e.g. a sub-forum strictly for presenting/listing DW2 mods?

I repeat: I do not mean to be rude. I'm just interested in what mods exist for this game, and right now it's too difficult.
mordachai

Post by mordachai »

Argor wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:45 pm I see a sixth area:

6. Somewhere to find the mods.
This will be intrinsically handled when they update to support steam mods, at least for steam players.

I haven't paid any attention to GoG in years - perhaps they have the equivalent for their platform now?
andybe

Post by andybe »

regarding mod managment:
- I believe one of the best approaches is using an iterative import strategy.

the general idea is that the data files are imported into an internal storage on a per-key basis.
this allows for and mods that override basefiles should only include the relevant keys for the modification without having to copy the rest of the base file and mods that don't conflict with each other will simply bypass each other on import.
Here's an example:

base.xml

Code: Select all

<example1Array>
	<entry>
		<Id>0</Id>
		<Title>TitleBase0</Title>
	</entry>
	<entry>
		<Id>1</Id>
		<Title>TitleBase1</Title>
	</entry>
	<entry>
		<Id>2</Id>
		<Title>TitleBase2</Title>
	</entry>
</example1Array>
will be imported into a table called "example1"
then two mod files are imported:

mod1.xml

<example1Array>
	<entry>
		<Id>1</Id>
		<Title>Titlemod1</Title>
	</entry>
</example1Array>
mod2.xml

<example1Array>
	<entry>
		<Id>0</Id>
		<Title>TitleMod2</Title>
	</entry>
</example1Array>
this for example would result in an imported table:

example1:
Id		| Title		|
=========|=============|
0		| TitleMod2	|
1		| TitleMod1	|
2		| TitleBase2	|
the import of files happens in a given order which is handled by a "manager". and conflicting entries will simply be overridden.
since the import-data in the xml files also includes asset ids. matching of assets and overriding will be deterministic. This will allow the manager to parse the ids compare the respective mod files and find conflicts beforehand.

I doubt there is any cleaner way to do this without investing a significant amount of time into developing a custom diff-tool
AKicebear

Post by AKicebear »

andybe wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:12 pm regarding mod managment:
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding something - doesn't the system you described also describe the current modding system in DW2? What is the difference between what is there and what you're describing?
andybe

Post by andybe »

AKicebear wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:30 pm
andybe wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:12 pm regarding mod managment:
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding something - doesn't the system you described also describe the current modding system in DW2? What is the difference between what is there and what you're describing?
I actually have no idea how modding for DW2 currently works. In fact I had a really hard time finding out and eventually gave up on it.

Return to “Design and Modding”