Quick questions thread

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies and ship designs with fellow gamers here.

Moderator: MOD_DW2

zgrssd

Re: Quick questions thread

Post by zgrssd »

CaptBeefheart wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:59 am
Nightskies wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:30 am There is no auto-pause feature, excluding event popups. Since research notifications are only messages, modding the game to pause for research isn't easy.

You can make a long research que, however, or automate it. Even with automation, you can make long research ques such that the AI only selects a technology if the que completes.
Thanks for the response, Nightskies. I was afraid I'd get an answer like that. I'm used to the HOI series where you can automatically stop the action when you get a new tech.

Cheers,
CB
DW2 does have a research queue, so the auto-paue was deemed unnecessary.

Your options are to to:
1. Make a queue.
2. Set the game to auto-research. This part will only take action if your queue is ever empty - it will not change anything about any item you have queued manually.
MxM111

Post by MxM111 »

zgrssd wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 8:39 am
CaptBeefheart wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:59 am
Nightskies wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:30 am There is no auto-pause feature, excluding event popups. Since research notifications are only messages, modding the game to pause for research isn't easy.

You can make a long research que, however, or automate it. Even with automation, you can make long research ques such that the AI only selects a technology if the que completes.
Thanks for the response, Nightskies. I was afraid I'd get an answer like that. I'm used to the HOI series where you can automatically stop the action when you get a new tech.

Cheers,
CB
DW2 does have a research queue, so the auto-paue was deemed unnecessary.

Your options are to to:
1. Make a queue.
2. Set the game to auto-research. This part will only take action if your queue is ever empty - it will not change anything about any item you have queued manually.
I like Stellaris approach better. If you research nothing, then store research points. After you select new research, use those research points in addition to regular research points to research project twice faster until stored research points last. Obviously if you were to boost research, you would boost only the normal part, not the stored part (This is not part of Stellaris).
man12341

Post by man12341 »

The Home Base for my fleets always change to some mining station or colony without my interaction. I know how to change the fleet base to where I want, but it never stays like I set it up. No matter if the fleet is automated or not.
I don't understand why this happens. Is this a setting, or a know issue?
Nightskies

Post by Nightskies »

Policy: Fleet Postures.
man12341

Post by man12341 »

Nightskies wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:32 am Policy: Fleet Postures.
Nice, thanks!
TinyFrog

Post by TinyFrog »

How are borders formed?

My first colony seems to have a bigger area around it, compared to a new colony. I have explored the new colony's vicinity further outwards and found no alien influencing it /yet/. The new colony included 3 new stars into my territory but not 6 (explored to yellow and green) that I thought would be in its range. To me it looks that the new colony's border is closer than the home system's borders.

Before start I set the Colony Influence range to 150% and Colonization Range Limit to 300M (because I turned down Colony and Independent Colonies to Rare/Very Rare). Is the population number a factor? Or what other things affects the distance? I ask because I presume territory grabbing is important early game. :mrgreen:
zgrssd

Post by zgrssd »

TinyFrog wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:04 pm How are borders formed?

My first colony seems to have a bigger area around it, compared to a new colony. I have explored the new colony's vicinity further outwards and found no alien influencing it /yet/. The new colony included 3 new stars into my territory but not 6 (explored to yellow and green) that I thought would be in its range. To me it looks that the new colony's border is closer than the home system's borders.

Before start I set the Colony Influence range to 150% and Colonization Range Limit to 300M (because I turned down Colony and Independent Colonies to Rare/Very Rare). Is the population number a factor? Or what other things affects the distance? I ask because I presume territory grabbing is important early game. :mrgreen:
I think it was a Population Amount. Population Assimilation percentage. With some bonuses for being a Capitol world or from some buildings?
arvcran2

Post by arvcran2 »

zgrssd wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 4:58 pm

I think it was a Population Amount. Population Assimilation percentage. With some bonuses for being a Capitol world or from some buildings?
The Galactopedia makes references to 'ownership' in the context of systems, and 'territory'; it is in an interesting question, would travel-time and fuel range also have some influence on territory range?
zgrssd

Post by zgrssd »

arvcran2 wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:07 pm

The Galactopedia makes references to 'ownership' in the context of systems, and 'territory'; it is in an interesting question, would travel-time and fuel range also have some influence on territory range?
If Range or Speed had a influence on Border range, we would see very clear and distinct jumps in the held territory. We do not.

IIRC there was a impact on Agent Travel times based on FTL speed.
arvcran2

Post by arvcran2 »

zgrssd wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:33 pm
arvcran2 wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:07 pm
If Range or Speed had a influence on Border range, we would see very clear and distinct jumps in the held territory. We do not.

IIRC there was a impact on Agent Travel times based on FTL speed.
Agree, though it could be very subtle and has a trickle effect rather than an immediate boost. However, the question was more suggestive than interrogative ;).
baldamundo

Post by baldamundo »

Coming back to the game having not really played it since release, am enjoying it immensely, but i've got a few questions about useability features i might have missed:

1. If I tell a fleet to fly to the other side of my empire, will they just go straight there, even if they run out of fuel, or will they stop to refuel along the way?

2. Is there an easier way to tell ships to refuel in a particular system direct from the galaxy map, rather than having to zoom in close enough to see the specific station? I quite often want to tell them to fly somewhere and then refuel once they're there, and it would be much more convenient to be able to do it direct from the world map.

3. Is there any way to get notifications when your fleets have completed their orders? I keep a couple of fleets on manual control, and it's a bit annoying to have to check up on them manually to see whether they've arrived at their destination and need new orders (especially since there's still no way to queue orders?)
zgrssd

Post by zgrssd »

baldamundo wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:56 pm Coming back to the game having not really played it since release, am enjoying it immensely, but i've got a few questions about useability features i might have missed:

1. If I tell a fleet to fly to the other side of my empire, will they just go straight there, even if they run out of fuel, or will they stop to refuel along the way?

2. Is there an easier way to tell ships to refuel in a particular system direct from the galaxy map, rather than having to zoom in close enough to see the specific station? I quite often want to tell them to fly somewhere and then refuel once they're there, and it would be much more convenient to be able to do it direct from the world map.

3. Is there any way to get notifications when your fleets have completed their orders? I keep a couple of fleets on manual control, and it's a bit annoying to have to check up on them manually to see whether they've arrived at their destination and need new orders (especially since there's still no way to queue orders?)
1. Still will go straight there. If they are on Automatic and you changed the base, they might be smart enough to refuel along the way.

2. Rightlick in the empty space near a system or inside the system will often give you the option "Refuel at [station near the cursor]".

3. Not that I know off.
apd1004

Post by apd1004 »

Returning to the game after a long hiatus. I remember one of the things that used to frustrate me was how freighters always appeared to make a run without filling cargo holds to capacity.

Or were they?

Now I wonder if they really are filling to capacity but we just don't know exactly what capacity means. Is there a guide or reference to the weight or size of each type of resource as far as how much you can put into a cargo hold? I tried searching but couldn't find what I am looking for.

My example is a freighter is carrying 100 Krypton and 100 Argon but it can carry 800 cargo, and the mining station it came from had well over 800 of each. So if 1 unit of Krypton and Argon are each worth 4 units of cargo capacity, then this freighter is indeed full to capacity.
apd1004

Return to “The War Room”