Hyperspeed and other ongoing game issues

Moderator: MOD_DW2

RhinoDad

Hyperspeed and other ongoing game issues

Post by RhinoDad »

Computer tower 11th or 12th gen i5; 15 GB ram; Win 11 (Should be plenty to run game at size universe)(Nothing else except Windows mess running concurrently on computer)
Running Hyperspeed 1.1.4.4
Universe is one size up from smallest at lowest number of planets [700(?)] allowed for that size
Caslon production no port shortages producing + >30 (some port have over 100 k)
Only small freighters at this time as not far enough along to get medium or large freighters. Still at frigates and just researched basic destroyers.

o Ongoing issue of bases (Research, Mine, Resort) not being fueled and just sitting with zero fuel. This has been ongoing in every version I have had; one game purchased in, Aurora, 1.1.2.4, and Hyperspeed, 1.1.4.4 .
o This results in having to manually run tankers to fuel each one. Until tankers, only Caslon mines have any fuel. So until tankers bases sit unsupplied. Once tankers this is very player time consuming and if one cares about empty fuel defenseless bases then it is very labor intensive and turns the game into a large part a transportation game of “What is an efficient way to locate out of fuel bases and move tankers to fuel them". Game time better spent on other things.
o One also has to keep a list of new bases being built and run out tankers to fill them with fuel. Also after a grueling fighting off a space monster then often they need to be fueled.
o Just followed freighters for over 3 years of game time not one freighter made a fuel run to a base. Even though at times there were 1 or 2 idle freighters and many (30+ and growing) empty bases. Freighters will run up empty to a base load then leave. Even though the base has zero fuel. They will repeatedly visit a base with zero fuel to load up resources but no fuel ever brought.
 Game seems to use a very basic transportation/supply algorithm which is not very efficient in freighter usage. But that is fine that is taken care of by having a large number of freighters inefficiently used. [Probably saves processing resources] But something should be done about leaving a large number of empire assets out of supply with no attempt to replenish them.
• Perhaps an auto function on tankers for “Fuel Bases”. Such as seen on Construction Ships for various types of auto duties.
• Or when bases are out of fuel call out and like planets and ports freighters take fuel to them.

o Ghost Fleet port supplied with everything except fuel. It is very close to a gas planet. After some time added mine there because because no fuel for port. So ships would have a place to fuel before heading off.
o Ghost Fleet port did not come with fuel mining capability as is has in some games. Though am not sure it is close enough to mine fuel from planet it is near.
o Ghost base port ran out of fuel. For over 3 years no freighter has made a fuel run to supply it. All other supplies kept in stock but no fuel.

o Often enough when one gets up and leaves game on pause in order to get a cup of tea the game returns to desktop. Then game has to be restarted. (Yes, I usually do a good reboot before restarting) It may or may not have made a recent backup so one must remember to do so before getting a cuppa.
o Aurora and first version used to just lock up seemingly randomly around the time I would get to the 4th level of tech. This version so far running much smoother, however, I am not that advanced in game. But have never had them send it desktop.

If for some reason you want the files let me know and I will sent them. Giving me the folder name/location would be helpful as well.
Improvise, Adapt and Overcome

Success is how you bounce on the bottom

Experience is a comb life gives us after we have lost our hair
MaximKI

Re: Hyperspeed and other ongoing game issues

Post by MaximKI »

Hey thanks for the report. If you have any saves that directly illustrate the issues you're running into would be greatly helpful. You can find your saves in the following location: \Distant Worlds 2\data\SavedGames.
RhinoDad

Post by RhinoDad »

Sorry for the delay in getting file to you. I have to do a bit of driving in order to get save file to you.

Chip is i5 11400F
GC – Gforce GTX 1660 Ti 6GB
System load target slider set for 73
System load .42 - .58
GC mem 14.599
GC load 5,839.7
GC committed 1,116.7

This is older save but after I have increased tankers from 2 to 5 and been running around fueling mining bases. Trying to get them squared away before starting a war.

Which is why mining bases only about 20% with no fuel

Resorts and Research more closely match picture of fuel situation in all bases

Abbadun resorts first resorts build and I tend to race to research tourist ability in early research with only research labs and first warp drive coming before them. They are still empty and were built when only had one planet.

Note Prime research base, found abandoned and repaired, design does not have enough crew space.

Ghost fleet port has been upgraded to standard for my empire. Original had no mining capability. As I can not measure distance do not know if a mining engine would have been in range of nearby gas planet.

Again it is not that refueling bases is going slow; that I might be outpacing building from supply. It is that the bases are getting no fuel supply shipped to them. From the very first to the very last no shipment/supply of fuel. Only mines that mine Caslon have fuel; seem to work like tankers and when out of fuel they take some cargo to fill tanks.

Same with Ghost Fleet port. No fuel just supplies. From original design and after I changed it to my design. As it is a port have no idea why it is not being supplied with fuel. Thought changing it to my design might make a difference but it has not, just lost the fun looking base.

As for crashing to desktop whilst on pause. Not sure how to replicate. Except go get a nice cup of tea, about 4-5 minutes with game on pause. Will crash once or twice a day on a couple liters of tea over 10+ hours.
Happy Hippo - Earlier Save.DWGame.zip
Game Save
(7.43 MiB) Downloaded 2 times
Looks like it finally attached.

RhinoDad

Post by RhinoDad »

Thought I would give you a progress report.

Many hours (20+) of gameplay later whilst refueling research and resorts noticed a fair number of resort I had listed as empty were now fueled.

Would surmise that during the time I just sat and watched freighters that they were overwhelmed by the rapid increase in bases. This game the universe, at least where I am located, was such that not a lot of high percentage resources but many low percentage. This and resource location led to few bases for a time then a large rapid increase in number of base construction. Am guessing that the freighter algorithm has a rather low priority/allocation on fuel for bases and thus were occupied with shuttling the large and growing availability of resources to fully stock the colonies before any were allocated to base fueling, which during this time also began to go from one to three or four.

Thank you for taking the time to look into what was happening. Hopefully, this additional info helps.

o It still would be nice like construction ships if tankers had the option when choosing manual or automatic if they had the choice of “Automatically fuel bases” which set them to run about fueling bases that were under a given level.

o Or just as helpful but easier on system resources and ease of algorithm creation; is if construction ships when heading out to build bases had 75 units, or close to whatever first fuel tank amount are, in units of fuel in order to build and turn over a base fully functional and ready to go. That way the list of resources would not have to change as fuel tank technology changed, it would remain constant. But each base built which all require a fuel tank would have some starting fuel to work with until they could be topped off as needed. The starting fuel could even be set above the level to trigger a refuel call on beginning tech but below that level for later tech. Either way each station would come fulling competed and ready to go upon construction.

Return to “Distant Worlds 2: Tech Support”