Do tankers on auto refuel bases?

Moderator: MOD_DW2

RhinoDad

Do tankers on auto refuel bases?

Post by RhinoDad »

This was under Aurora. Now running 1.1.2.4 not long enough to get any experience with this issue/experience.

Does one have to periodically manually check Resorts, Research Facilities, Mining stations to ensure that they have fuel; especially after battle or when first built? Tankers unattached to fleet and set on auto run about refueling auto ships that have set out well, multiple times, beyond fuel range, namely explorers, and run out of fuel. However, they just sit idly by with no orders whilst facilities have zero fuel or fuel in red.

There is no bleed of fuel in facilities due to insufficient solar arrays. The facility is built, not sure but seems most times with zero fuel.

Every once in a while a relic base is found that has insufficient solar arrays which does bleed fuel but these will also run dry with no refill from tankers on auto.

After combat some which had some fuel supplies are well into red fuel levels (i.e. <= 30 units). These also not filled by tankers on auto.

In order to have resorts, Research facilities, Mining stations have fuel in case needed to fire weapons then one must manually go through the list and fill each one manually. Otherwise they just sit empty until manually checked and filled.

Is this normal? Is this supposed to be this way? Should my facilities have some sort of setting such as on auto? Game setting is for manual fleets and ships to be refueled automatically; at least the vast majority of the time except for the short time I am using manual fleets to attack/invade; that is maybe 2 - 5% of run time.

Not sure if this is a tech issue or just the way it is supposed to be.

Please do not tell me that I should be running one of the betas. Although it looks like 1.1.3.9 has some great changes and would like to try, it seems it is not something that I can get. I live in a very rural area.
Improvise, Adapt and Overcome

Success is how you bounce on the bottom

Experience is a comb life gives us after we have lost our hair
OrnluWolfjarl

Re: Do tankers on auto refuel bases?

Post by OrnluWolfjarl »

I think fuel ships will only refuel other ships (don't take my word for it though).

It sounds like you need more freighters. As Erik mentioned in the latest stream, if you run into those kinds of problems, it's key that you research a 3 freighter hulls, because each one is assigned a different behaviour.

Yes, the betas have fixed this in some ways, as there is currently (in the official version) an issue with the resource stock and reserve logic.
RhinoDad

Post by RhinoDad »

Thank you for replying. I will try designing freighters of different sizes. Generally only designed small freighters as they rarely if ever load up more than 35%.

They seem to just load a couple hundred units out of 2400 cargo space and run around empty a large percentage of time. They will come to a mining base to pick up but have never seen them bring fuel unload fuel then load resources. Never seen them go to anything but mining and star bases.

Is a "3 freighter hull" the 3rd level tech under ship building techs for freighters?

Not sure how to build more freighters as it seems all I can do is to design them and hope for the best.

Can you tell me where I can see the writing that you mention regarding freighter types and what they focus on?

Hopefully the patch for download available in a couple days will have some of those fixes.

Again, thank you for replying.

OrnluWolfjarl

Post by OrnluWolfjarl »

Yes, I'm talking about Small, Medium and Large Freighters. Unlike other ships, these are actually 3 separate hulls. You shouldn't consider them to be upgrades to one another.

Small freighters will generally take jobs of transporting resources within the same star system or the neighbouring star systems.

Medium freighters will generally take jobs of transporting resources over longer distances in your own empire.

Large freighters will generally take jobs of transporting resources across the galaxy and to other empires.

Each freighter can take any job, but they'll prioritize those I've listed most of the time.

Your empire's economy is likely suffering if you only tend to design one kind of freighter.

If you feel your freighters have too much cargo space, then you should give them fuel cells instead, so they can have an increased range and will require refuelling less often (so they'll complete more jobs in a certain amount of time).

Your private sector will order up freighters as needed automatically. You don't have control over that. What you need to do is to ensure you have designs for all 3 freighters, and they all have a decent range and a fast hyperdrive.

I don't know where it's written down, but check the latest DW2 stream on the Slitherine twitch channel. Erik talks about it around midway through.

If you don't see freighters transporting Caslon around in their cargo holds then there's two possibilities:

1) Your Caslon mining isn't enough to sustain all the demand. You need to build more Caslon mines and less of other things, so your supply can catch up with your demand.

2) You are suffering from a bug where Caslon stored in spaceports/stations is reserved by some order, but nobody gets around to fulfilling that order, which causes the Caslon to take up storage space and never be used as actual fuel. You can sort of get around to it, by manually setting the supply/demand stock levels of your spaceports and Caslon mines and letting the game run for a while.
RhinoDad

Post by RhinoDad »

Thank you for your reply and the info resource. Watched a couple of the streams and they were very informative.

Believe it was/is a bug as I have no shortage of fuel and production is generally > 10 units over demand. Only the mines, research, resort facilities are short of fuel and not being supplied. If there is a fuel shortage at a star base then it is a very short term problem usually caused by a change in fleet location or other location demand. These are usually quickly resolved with increased fuel deliveries. However, will keep an eye on reserved amounts, was only looking at total fuel as did not really understand what reserve was.

Will also design some med and large freighters. Tended to avoid designing Med and Lg freighter as the small freighters are generally never up anywhere near capacity. Explains why if Med freighters designed only a few were built.

Hopefully, with new patch and knowledge problem will be resolved.

Again, thank you for your response and valuable info.

Return to “Distant Worlds 2: Tech Support”