[1.1.3.2] Stars Background much worse than before...

Moderator: MOD_DW2

Jorgen_CAB

[1.1.3.2] Stars Background much worse than before...

Post by Jorgen_CAB »

The patch notes say something about fixing the background stars, for me it just got very bad... it very difficult to concentrate on what I'm suppose to concentrate on. I had no issues in the previous versions.

If feels like a wet layer of dots painted on the screen, like there is a dust layer or something on the screen it is that intense.

It is especially hard to watch when you zoom in... if I zoom out it become less pronounced but the effect still persist.

Last edited by Jorgen_CAB on Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FW1

Re: Stars Background much worse than before...

Post by FW1 »

Sorry to hear you are having problems.

In case this info is helpful to the devs - on the non-beta version if I try running the game with my monitor (32 inch, 144hz, gsync) at 144hz the stars in the background had this awful flickering but if I turned down the hz on my monitor to 60hz that resolved the issue.

With the new beta version (1.1.3.2) I can run the game at 144hz with no flickering starfield in the background, so for me at least, the beta seems to have resolved the issue.

I hope you get the issue sorted for you.
Jorgen_CAB

Post by Jorgen_CAB »

FW1 wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:50 am Sorry to hear you are having problems.

In case this info is helpful to the devs - on the non-beta version if I try running the game with my monitor (32 inch, 144hz, gsync) at 144hz the stars in the background had this awful flickering but if I turned down the hz on my monitor to 60hz that resolved the issue.

With the new beta version (1.1.3.2) I can run the game at 144hz with no flickering starfield in the background, so for me at least, the beta seems to have resolved the issue.

I hope you get the issue sorted for you.
There is no flickering... it is just that the stars are very bright when zoomed in and when zoomed out they are like a dust layer of the screen I wish I could brush away with my hand.

I have a low hertz screen so run at 30Hz with 3840x2160 resolution and cap the game a 30FPS as that should synch perfectly well with the screen.

I don't think I have the same issue as you had... it just is that the starfield are extremely intense and in the way...

If I run the game on my second older monitor with much worse contrast the zoomed in stars are quite fine and zoomed out I hardly notice the stars. So... high contrast monitors makes the stars super bright now for some reason, did not on my main monitor before.
I can still notice the change on the old monitor, but not as much since the contrast on that screen is so much worse.

Maybe there should be a contrast setting in the game or something?
TylerIN

Post by TylerIN »

Are you running in SDR or HDR?

I think I see how this problem happens, I'll bring it up in our next dev meeting.
Reach out to me on the official DW2 Discord #mods channel.
Jorgen_CAB

Re: [1.1.3.2] Stars Background much worse than before...

Post by Jorgen_CAB »

I have tried both... I generally run in HDR as that is much better visuals. It is a bit more pronounced in HDR to be honest but not allot.

I did some testing with the graphics card and monitor settings and managed to reduce the effect a bit, but that had more to do with manipulating colour and contrast a bit.

As I said, on my secondary monitor which is older the effect is MUCH less pronounced, but I can still see it although I would likely not have reacted much to it on that one.
rxnnxs

Post by rxnnxs »

I just want to say that for me with the newest beta the background looks good and is steady.
Jorgen_CAB

Post by Jorgen_CAB »

rxnnxs wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:57 pm I just want to say that for me with the newest beta the background looks good and is steady.
I think it depends on the kind of monitor you use. On one of my monitors it looks Ok on the other it is a strain on your eyes as the stars in the background look like a million bright stone pebbles in the background and is really annoying, Sometimes it is even hard to se ships when zoomed out a bit as they melt into the noise in the background.
rxnnxs

Post by rxnnxs »

I use it on many monitors and really do not see the "flicker".
What resolution do you use? I would try to reproduce it. If you change from high dynamic range to to the standard range rendering, is it getign better?
Do you have nvidia or amd?
As I said, my star backgrond is not flickering at all (anymore!), and that is with geforce gtx 770 and a 1060 on every resolution and three different monitors.

But with my small ship hulls, I can not see the ships either, only when I activate the icons.
But that is something I really like and wanted.
To see them, I have to go close.
Here is a picture with two screenshots. both the same view.
small.jpg
small.jpg (87.25 KiB) Viewed 318 times
I do not understand why we can not change the amount of background stars or at least turn them off.
Also the option to turn the nebulas off completely.

Besides that I like a huge universe that has much space - unfortunately not everybody can play with the best size and the smallest amount of stars. And the cpu is not that bad, because it depends on the number of the cores and the ram.
The best for me is 1000 stars at a galaxy that has 10x10 sectors. Thats 1000/100 = 10 stars per sector. All other options are packed denser. What comes closest is the smallest sector with 300 stars: 300 stars / 16 sectors = 18,75 stars per sector.

I write this into this thread because these are things that should be configurable. I do not see any reason not to allow it. We can not even mod this.

And of course the city lights that really annoy.

If those things could be solved, ok, there is the music and the hard to understand mechanic behind that.., besides the music and the too jumpy music change and the repetitive melody, so.. besides that, the game would have those easy to solve flaws taken care of and made much people happy.
Jorgen_CAB

Post by Jorgen_CAB »

I never said it is "flickering"... I said the stars in the background when you zoom in to system view look like a million bright stones pebbles (not stars) in the background and is very disturbing to the eyes and to some degree make it difficult to se objects when zoomed out a bit as they get lost in the noise.

You probably don't have a monitor or setting where you notice this and I did not have this problem before this latest patch. Now it is VERY noticeable and annoying.

If I revert to the latest official patch I don't have this issue.

The issue is the same whether I use HDR, SDR or resolution this is not a resolution issue... it is a contrast issue. As the issue is way less on my second monitor that have shitty contrast and blackness the issue is almost none existent.
Jorgen_CAB

Post by Jorgen_CAB »

1.1.3.4 patch fixed all my issues as I can now lower the opacity of the background stars and have them increased on monitors that have less contrast.

Very much thanks for making it able to change that.
rxnnxs

Post by rxnnxs »

Wow, someone must have heard your s.o.s. signal :-)
Buio

Post by Buio »

Here is an example with 1.1.3.4 and settings Density 30, Opacity .50

rxnnxs

Post by rxnnxs »

So thats okay, isn't it?
I am not quite sure what to select now - because I would prefer some distant stars, but stars that stay. What we see (it was in DW1 the same) are countless stars that are generated every time you move your view :-)
So I just drag the density to 10 (thats the minimum, and sometimes the slider just jumps to 100 again somehow!?) and the opacity to 0 in the hope, this is the easiest for the gpu.
I think I can not have everything and are happy that it is implemented.

No stars is what I wanted as a quick fix :-)

A couple of stars that have a steady position would be nice in the long run.
Buio

Post by Buio »

rxnnxs wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:34 am So thats okay, isn't it?
I am not quite sure what to select now - because I would prefer some distant stars, but stars that stay. What we see (it was in DW1 the same) are countless stars that are generated every time you move your view :-)
So I just drag the density to 10 (thats the minimum, and sometimes the slider just jumps to 100 again somehow!?) and the opacity to 0 in the hope, this is the easiest for the gpu.
I think I can not have everything and are happy that it is implemented.

No stars is what I wanted as a quick fix :-)

A couple of stars that have a steady position would be nice in the long run.
For me it is great, I found a setting that works for me. I also understands those that want to have a clean background to see the game details fully, I tested with both now.
AKicebear

Post by AKicebear »

Buio wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:41 am Here is an example with 1.1.3.4 and settings Density 30, Opacity .50
Those look excellent. Odd how that non-mechanics change can get me more excited to return it the game!
rxnnxs

Post by rxnnxs »

Now I have to correct myself in the last post.
The background stars are not rendered again but are the same.
At least with the geforce 6gb RAM 1070se.
I say that, because before with my gefore gtx 770 4GB RAM it did not look like that.

Maybe that gtx 770 did not have enough memory or enough power.

I am fighting with crashes with the gtx 770, but that is a thing that has nothing to do with this game.
so i am switching cards and systems and such..
and what I see with the gtx 1070 is really good.

Better than ever I see the city lights at night on all planets and moons that are uninhabitated though..
I even used a QUADRO and the city lights were there also...

Return to “Distant Worlds 2: Tech Support”