Terrible performance in nebulae/gravitic storms/etc

Moderator: MOD_DW2

baldamundo

Terrible performance in nebulae/gravitic storms/etc

Post by baldamundo »

Hi. Have come back to the game after the Aurora update, having hardly played it since release, and overall i am loving it - the gameplay and performance has improved dramatically (and i still had a lot of fun with it at release, despite the problems) - but I'm finding my performance collapses whenever i zoom in inside a nebula or gravitic storm.

Lategame on a 700-star galaxy, i get about 45-60 FPS unpaused at normal speed when zoomed in in a normal system. Zoomed out to the galaxy map, i get about 40 FPS paused or unpaused at normal speed if i have civilian ships visible, about 50 FPS if i disable civilian ships.

But if I zoom in to a nebula, I drop to about 10-20 FPS, even when paused. I also sometimes get flashes back and forth of the entire screen going green or blue when i zoom in and out (as if it's having trouble knowing when or how to render the gravitic storm/nebula overlays, maybe?).

I've tried disabling HDR, switching to Vulkan rednering, disabling lens flare, disabling particle effects, weapon effects, and unit damage overlay, and i've tried resetting my settings file/verifying game integrity doesn't seem to make any difference.

Anyone know what the issue is or how I might be able to fix or mitigate it? It gets quite annoying.

Only other issue I've had is that the game often gets very stutter-y once i've been playing for a few hours, but that seems to fix if I quit and reload, so it's less of a problem.
Attachments
DxDiag.txt
(128.08 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
MaximKI

Re: Terrible performance in nebulae/gravitic storms/etc

Post by MaximKI »

Hey, thanks for the report.

What version did you notice these performance issues? Do you have a save that demonstrates the issue?
baldamundo

Re: Terrible performance in nebulae/gravitic storms/etc

Post by baldamundo »

It was on v1.1.0.9 that I noticed the issue (but I hadn't played since close to release, and there were various performance issues back then, so I don't know whether the issue was new to 1.1.0.9). The issue is still present as of v1.1.2.4.

Have attached a save where the issue is present for me, but the issue seems to be present on all my saves from the very start of the game, so I'm assuming the issue is more about how DW2 runs on my PC, rather than being something specific to any save - so I don't expect the save will be much help!
Attachments
Dhayut Autocracy - Dhayut - 2754-01-13.rar
(3.76 MiB) Downloaded 1 time

Return to “Distant Worlds 2: Tech Support”