[UI] Monitors and UI Scaling

Moderator: MOD_DW2

StormingKiwi

[UI] Monitors and UI Scaling

Post by StormingKiwi »

I realise the previous post in the "Questions regarding Font and UI Scaling" was pretty useless.

I find the Settings: UI scaling not sensitive enough when changing it. Normal is too big, and smaller is too small. The change is too large.

The user interface size setting says:
Select your desired user interface size. Larger sizes increase the scale of fonts and windows, allowing better readability on high-resolution settings. Some user interface sizes are unavailable depending on your screen resolution (e.g. cannot use very large sizes on low-resolution screens)
This is a little confused and misleading.

Here are two screenshots of the small UI at a 1920x1080 resolution scale.
Top 16" diagonal monitor,
Bottom 24" diagonal monitor.
1920 x 1080 Small UI - 16 top 24 bottom.png
1920 x 1080 Small UI - 16 top 24 bottom.png (2.33 MiB) Viewed 103 times
As can be seen, virtually identical. A little difference in the skybox (I assume it was drawn again when the monitor changed).

I can comfortably read the text in the 24" inch monitor's UI, but not the 16" monitor's UI, despite them having the same scaling at the same resolution.

Here are photos, taken with a standard smartphone camera 20 inches away from the monitor. The display is duplicated on both monitors.
16 Inch Monitor.jpg
16 Inch Monitor.jpg (584.57 KiB) Viewed 103 times
24 Inch Monitor.jpg
24 Inch Monitor.jpg (2.39 MiB) Viewed 103 times
And here they are next to each other (I edited the photo to get rid of the background and move the portion showing the 16" inch display higher).
The camera was centred at the join of the two monitors, which is why the monitors don't look rectangular.
16 24 Monitor side by side.png
16 24 Monitor side by side.png (2.65 MiB) Viewed 103 times
One monitor is clearly much more legible than the other - for reference, the control centre heading "Civilian" has a 3mm high "I" on the 16" monitor, 4mm high on the 24" monitor.

I.e.
16" inch monitor displays a font size of 8.5 point.
24" inch monitor displays a font size of 11.3 point.

Return to “Distant Worlds 2: Tech Support”