Major problem with v1.0.8.8: no designs available at start!

Moderator: MOD_DW2

100thMonkey

Major problem with v1.0.8.8: no designs available at start!

Post by 100thMonkey »

Platform: Steam
Build version: 1.0.8.8 Beta (new game)
Severity: Medium-High
Annoyance factor: High
Saved game:
The Culture - Ackdarian - 2754-05-26.7z
(2.76 MiB) Downloaded 8 times

Since upgrading to 1.0.8.8 Beta, when I start a new game with low tech levels for my empire, there are no designs in the Designs screen, even with the filters set to “All Designs” and “All Types”.

After deactivating the beta in Steam and going back to 1.0.8.3 final, everything is at it should be! If I then reactivate the 1.0.8.8 Beta, the problem comes back.

Before reverting to final 1.0.8.3, I ran an integrity check from Steam, which resulted in 1 file needing to be replace (“1 files failed to validate and will be reacquired”). As far as I remember, it’s always been the same result when running an integrity check for a beta version of DW2). With 1.0.8.3 final, all the files are OK. Going back to 1.0.8.8 Beta again brings back the “1 file not right” thing.

Now, about the tests I did and the results I got:

With my expansion set at “Starting” and my tech Level set at either “PreWarp” or “Level 0”, I get no designs whatsoever (see attached save).

With my expansion still at “Starting”, but my tech Level set at “Level 1”, then there are some designs available, but certainly not what’s supposed to be available (there’s only one design for a bomber, one for an Interceptor, and two for resort bases,).

Things get back to normal if I start at tech level 2. I presume it would be the same with higher tech levels.

By the way, if I load in 1.0.8.8 Beta what was my current game with 1.0.8.6 Beta, the designs are OK (ie: what they were with 1.0.8.6 Beta). So it seems that designs are missing only for new games created from 1.0.8.8.

I don’t see any post about this. Am I to only one to have encounter that problem?
- Imagine how confusing it is to a new player!
- "The welfare of the people…has always been the alibi of tyrants…giving the servants of tyranny a good conscience." – Albert Camus
100thMonkey

Re: Major problem with v1.0.8.8: no designs available at start!

Post by 100thMonkey »

I did another test that pretty much confirms that the problem (missing designs) occurs only when starting a new game from 1.0.8.8 Beta.

I started a new game from 1.0.8.3 final, saved it, closed DW2, went into Steam and switched to 1.8.8.8 Beta. I then relaunched DW2 and loaded the save created in 1.0.8.3. The result: all the designs are there.

The settings used in 1.0.8.3 to create the new game: my expansion "Starting", and tech level "Level 1".
- "The welfare of the people…has always been the alibi of tyrants…giving the servants of tyranny a good conscience." – Albert Camus
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Thanks for the heads up on the issue with Ackdarian PreWarp starts.

We have a fix for this coming hopefully on Monday.

In the meantime you can resolve this problem by deleting the file ShipHulls_Art.xml from the data subfolder.

Thanks
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
100thMonkey

Post by 100thMonkey »

You're welcome. I tried the workaround, and I can confirm that it fixes the problem.

Return to “Distant Worlds 2: Tech Support”