Post by 100thMonkey »

Platform: Steam
Build version: 1.0.7.3 (Beta)
Severity: Medium
Annoyance factor: High
Saved game:
The Culture - Boskara - 2836-10-17.7z
(6.16 MiB) Not downloaded yet

I’ve ordered the building of a new defense fleet from the fleet templates window, to be built from new ships, at a specific port. Right after, I automated the fleet (defense) and I’ve set it’s home to “Ancient Slave Colony” in the Huth system.

Now, the fleet is built, and it’s on its way to the colony. BUT, 2 of its ships do not have fuel at all! Yet, they’re on their merry way toward home base.

Fleet's selection panel.png
Fleet's selection panel.png (162.15 KiB) Viewed 127 times

This is the first (and main) problem in this report: new ships, from a newly built fleet, shouldn’t leave the construction yard to follow the rest of the fleet to its home base without having first filled their tanks!

There’s also a secondary problem. Even though I don’t remember which spaceport I had specify to build the fleet at (there’s a lot going on in the game), I’m sure I’ve specified one. In other words, I didn’t click on “Any construction yards in empire”. It’s an option I almost never use. Yet, the fleet’s ships are all over the place (or at least, quite spread out). As mentioned previously, after ordering the building of the fleet from new ships, I automated it and I’ve set it’s home base. That’s it. I didn’t do anything else to it. So why are the ships so spread out?

Fleet spread all over the place.png
Fleet spread all over the place.png (651.09 KiB) Viewed 127 times

I don’t know if it’s related, but the game is very sluggish right now. Often, it requires 2 clicks before it responds. It’s the first time I’ve encouterd this, but it’s also the furthest I’ve gone in a game since DW2 came out. And my empire is pretty big. I hope that’s a fluke and not an indication of how it will behave as my game progresses...

I wonder if the slugginesh in responding to my actions couldn’t have resulted in the game interpreting my input as “create a new fleet from existing ships” instead of from new ships. Probably a long shot, but I’ve seen similar things in other software before (for instance, software misinterpreting part of a user input, resulting in doing the right action, but on the wrong “object”). But, as I said, I’m not saying that it IS what happened. I don’t know what happened.

P.S.: I’ve reloaded the game, and it’s now much more responsive. Not the first time I’ve seen this though (a problem disappearing after relaunching the game).
- Imagine how confusing it is to a new player!
- "The welfare of the people…has always been the alibi of tyrants…giving the servants of tyranny a good conscience." – Albert Camus

Return to “Distant Worlds 2: Tech Support”