Post by 100thMonkey »

Platform: Steam
Build version: 1.0.7.3 (Beta)
Severity: Medium
Annoyance factor: High
Saved game:
The Culture - Boskara - 2832-10-20.7z
(5.85 MiB) Downloaded 3 times

When there’s more than one design for a hull / role, and fleets have one of those multi-designs ships, the retrofit button isn’t disabled even if all the fleets ships are uptodate according to the fleet template.

Here’s an example from my current game. I have 2 active designs for frigates and 2 for destroyers:

* Capture frigate v10 (for capture fleets)
* Frigate (attack) v10 (all-purpose frigates)
* Destroyer X (all-purpose destroyers)
* Destroyer BR (bombardment destroyers)

My "Def Rinatasea" fleet use the “Defense Fleet” template, which uses the “Frigate (attack) v10” frigates and the “Destroyer X” destroyers designs:

Fleet template.png
Fleet template.png (78.21 KiB) Viewed 291 times

All the fleet’s ships are uptodate, in accordance with the fleet’s template. But when the fleet is selected, the retrofit button is active, instead of being disabled as it should.

Def Rinatasea Selection Panel.png
Def Rinatasea Selection Panel.png (156.06 KiB) Viewed 291 times

Clearly, that behavior is related to the fact that there’s more than one active buildable design for destroyers and frigates. Here’s what’s shown when one of the fleet’s destroyers is selected and I click on the active retrofit button:

Destroyer selection panel.png
Destroyer selection panel.png (147 KiB) Viewed 291 times

The fleet’s template specify to use “Destroyer X”. And the fleet’s destroyers using that design (which is ALL the fleet’s destroyers) are uptodate. Yet, the retrofit button isn’t disabled.

To resume: when all the ships in a fleet use the latest designs as specified in the template use by the fleet, the retrofit button should be deactivated. As it is now, when using multiple designs for a hull/role, there’s no trustable indication in the selection panel of whether a fleet needs retrofits or not. Which, when you have many fleets, can become annoying and confusing very quickly. Especially when you have a lot of research going on, and need to redesign and retrofit relatively often.
- Imagine how confusing it is to a new player!
- "The welfare of the people…has always been the alibi of tyrants…giving the servants of tyranny a good conscience." – Albert Camus
arvcran2

Re: Retrofit button should be deactivated, but isn’t

Post by arvcran2 »

This is an important UIX to resolve. It may be that this was left to the eventual implementation of full hull level support by the AI.

I know in the past that this used to also happen if fuel tankers were present within a fleet. Those should be ignored unless they are nearby the fleet. In such cases I'd like the fuel tankers to follow the retrofit orders.

Return to “Distant Worlds 2: Tech Support”