1073 Pathing Still Fracaca

Moderator: MOD_DW2

mordachai

1073 Pathing Still Fracaca

Post by mordachai »

My 10th fleet was nearly there, but decided to "div by zero" and fly around the universe before jumping the final 10'

This ought not be news: Your pathing is miserably terribly insanely pukingly bad.
Fracaca.png
Fracaca.png (2.43 MiB) Viewed 974 times
mordachai

Re: 1073 Pathing Still Fracaca

Post by mordachai »

boolybooly

Post by boolybooly »

well, I was going to add this 1073 example of wayfinding illogic but it seems quite trivial by comparison, lol

this is a construction ship ordered to take a route to a build from mid space, which is preparing to jump but has decided go backwards before it goes forwards, for some reason (no its not a spaceport system and it does have the necessary on board), I just thought it illustrated how the code was not following a logical pathfinding algorithm for some reason, possibly a snafu with the code sequence or a fundamental flaw in the analytical paradigm

Whatever it is it will be nice when its fixed :)
Wayfinding 02.jpg
Wayfinding 02.jpg (768.64 KiB) Viewed 948 times

EDIT interestingly, if I order a move to a location instead of to a build it takes the direct route
100thMonkey

Post by 100thMonkey »

@mordachai: WOW! This one's for the record books! AMAZING! :shock: Yeah, there's probably something wrong with pathing...:mrgreen:
- Imagine how confusing it is to a new player!
- "The welfare of the people…has always been the alibi of tyrants…giving the servants of tyranny a good conscience." – Albert Camus
kissb

Post by kissb »

when you have short distance fckups in pathfinding, you can fix it by selecting the ships, instead of the fleet, and then they'll go straight to the point

I wouldn't mind having the following system :
1 - select fleet
2 - click on multiple points on galaxy map to set the path I want ships to follow ( not just systems, but any point )
3 - select speed ( slowest ship of the fleet, or everyone goes as fast as they could )

I'm sure many people running things manually end up doing this a lot, why not make it easier?
100thMonkey

Post by 100thMonkey »

kissb wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:05 am 2 - click on multiple points on galaxy map to set the path I want ships to follow ( not just systems, but any point )
We might get something like that. Erik alluded to the subject in its latest roadmap post:
Erik Rutins wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:31 pm We are also looking into the question of making it easier to plan jumps that do not require star system waypoints.

As for this:
kissb wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:05 am 3 - select speed ( slowest ship of the fleet, or everyone goes as fast as they could )
I think it's a good idea. Maybe labeling the slowest speed option as "Travel together" or "Stay together". Could maybe also interact with the fleet tactical settings. If set at tight or very tight, the fleet would "travel together". Any other setting, the fleet would go as fast as possible.
- Imagine how confusing it is to a new player!
- "The welfare of the people…has always been the alibi of tyrants…giving the servants of tyranny a good conscience." – Albert Camus
mordachai

Post by mordachai »

Yeah, I like the idea of being able to set an emergency "run here to help" v. "stay together"

stay together should be the norm.

being able to say "this is an oh-shit! run" would be icing.
Thineboot

Post by Thineboot »

You have to admit that the galaxy looks beautiful, the colors, it looks like a dome, just beautiful.... until you see this big crack, which looks like a dimension rift, soon to release the wrath of...
boolybooly

Post by boolybooly »

Pathing / wayfinding still not working.

This is a screen of an order just given to a low tech combat fleet to jump to system visibly well inside jump range, yet the pathing chooses to jump sideways to a local black hole before going where it is told.

If a destination is in jump range a ship or fleet should jump there directly.

This is illogical captain.
Attachments
20230720192949_1.jpg
20230720192949_1.jpg (230.17 KiB) Viewed 732 times
MaximKI

Post by MaximKI »

boolybooly wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 6:36 pm Pathing / wayfinding still not working.

This is a screen of an order just given to a low tech combat fleet to jump to system visibly well inside jump range, yet the pathing chooses to jump sideways to a local black hole before going where it is told.

If a destination is in jump range a ship or fleet should jump there directly.

This is illogical captain.
Thanks for the screenshot and the description! Do you happen to have a save that also demonstrates the pathing issues that you could upload here?
boolybooly

Post by boolybooly »

Yup k np.

v1.1.5.6 (unmodified)

zipped save attached "s3 dog legs.zip"

loads paused, press hotkey "1" for group 1 which is the fleet in question, with dog leg in screeny set up

I tested the behaviour and noticed if I set destination as a mining station then it was a straight line, but if I set destination as a grid location by right clicking open space near the same station then it is a dog leg.

Somehow the type of destination is changing how the path is processed.
Attachments
s3 dog legs.zip
(8.96 MiB) Downloaded 3 times
MaximKI

Post by MaximKI »

boolybooly wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:13 pm Yup k np.

v1.1.5.6 (unmodified)

zipped save attached "s3 dog legs.zip"

loads paused, press hotkey "1" for group 1 which is the fleet in question, with dog leg in screeny set up

I tested the behaviour and noticed if I set destination as a mining station then it was a straight line, but if I set destination as a grid location by right clicking open space near the same station then it is a dog leg.

Somehow the type of destination is changing how the path is processed.
Many thanks!
boolybooly

Post by boolybooly »

Another example, exploration ship Pathfinder is ordered to upgrade (not a move to grid order) and decides to go sideways first as a dog leg to a destination which is currently within its jump range. It could go straight there and avoid wasting time and fuel on a dog leg.

I noticed the pathing does not seem to be handling destination decisions logically when the next destination is close to the jump range.

Added a save, you will find Pathfinder among the exploration ships.
Attachments
s4 dog leg.zip
(9.08 MiB) Downloaded 2 times
20230722201633_1.jpg
20230722201633_1.jpg (260.41 KiB) Viewed 675 times
boolybooly

Post by boolybooly »

Here is a particularly exasperating one.

This is as a result of a survey order for a planet inside a nebula.

If I give that ship a move to grid order it moves directly through the narrowest part of the nebula.

There appears to be no rhyme or reason to this problem. The only difference with this example is it is a relatively short range compared to the max jump range and in a nebula. My guess is the move to grid order goes wrong when it is close to the jump range and so moves directly in this example.

The only thing which might make a difference to the survey order is the nebula in the way. It is not logical that it wants to go to a nearby system and then plough through a greater thickness of nebula because it was given a survey order instead of move to grid. :?
Attachments
s8 dog leg.zip
(9.1 MiB) Downloaded 4 times
20230723170351_1.jpg
20230723170351_1.jpg (260.04 KiB) Viewed 639 times
MaximKI

Post by MaximKI »

Thanks! Any more saves and screens you can give showing strange AI pathfinding will definitely be helpful to investigate and help resolve.

Return to “Distant Worlds 2: Tech Support”