Auto-spy: worst than doing nothing

Post by 100thMonkey »

Platform: Steam
Build version: 1.0.6.4 (Beta)
Severity: Medium
Saved game:
The Culture - Boskara - 2806-03-27.7z
(4.5 MiB) Not downloaded yet

I’ve set one of my explorer on auto-spy, to check, again, if auto-spy could be useful in any way. The explorer is near an enemy system of the Zaracsandir Territory. They’ve just declared on me (it’s our second war). So what’s the first thing this auto-spy explorer wants to do?... Retrofit!?!

Here’s an overview of the situation:

Auto-spy overview.png
Auto-spy overview.png (460.19 KiB) Viewed 218 times

The explorer has plenty of fuel. I’m at war. It’s in enemy territory. It’s in reach of many enemy systems. It’s on auto-spy.

Yet, it wants to go retrofit!?!

I’d prefer that it would do nothing. At least, that way, it would still be near an enemy system, and I could order it to go into one of those.

It seems to me that the priorities of an exploration ship on auto-spy should be, in that order:
  • go into enemy systems to spy on them
  • not get destroyed
  • make sure it has enough fuel to reach the closest friendly refueling point; ideally, if it needs to refuel, a warning (message) should be given about that to the player so another auto-spy could be sent to replace it.
Retrofitting shouldn’t be a priority at all, especially while at war!!! At best, it should be suggested while at peace, but not during war!
- Imagine how confusing it is to a new player!
- "The welfare of the people…has always been the alibi of tyrants…giving the servants of tyranny a good conscience." – Albert Camus
Thineboot

Re: Auto-spy: worst than doing nothing

Post by Thineboot »

It seems this behaviour is somehow hidden in these setting:
crunched military policy
crunched military policy
image_2022-08-18_022206824.png (120.4 KiB) Viewed 209 times
You only could change this by switching the Retrofit for a whole role, Explorers, from Automatic to Manual, which would probably do even more harm.
Adding rules for all those sub-semi-automatic-roles explorers and other ships can be put on has to be tackled at some point in the future. I'm afraid that's more of a distant future than a near one....
100thMonkey

Post by 100thMonkey »

Thineboot wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:29 am It seems this behaviour is somehow hidden in these setting:
It is very well hidden then, because auto-spy is an automated mode, and there's nothing in those settings about automated ships retrofits.

And yes, I do not want to put all of my explorers on manual retrofits. I'd go nuts micromanaging all those ships!

If auto-spy is as bad as it seems to be in its current state, and it will only be fixed in a distant future (remains to be seen; I still hope...), then I don't understand why it was put in the game at launch! If it would be working well, it would be such a great addition. But having it in its current state, is like being a famished dog with someone dangling a juicy steak in my face! :mrgreen:
- "The welfare of the people…has always been the alibi of tyrants…giving the servants of tyranny a good conscience." – Albert Camus
Thineboot

Post by Thineboot »

At the moment I'm struggling with repaired abandoned ships having SF24 Repair Bots and running to mummy for a plaster when they receive even the smallest scratch on their ship name paint. It's like they don't trust their bots - why are you starring at me, Z8, I just finished my shave, go away, it's just aaaaargh
100thMonkey

Post by 100thMonkey »

Have you checked your ships' tactical settings, more specifically their "Retreat When" setting. Might be why they're such crybabies...
Thineboot

Post by Thineboot »

No enemies, no damage, 99% hull, which is no component and thus won't be repaired by drones.
I have tried anything but "Never" and that would only affect "Retreat" but not prevent "Repairs". And disabling auto-repair doesn't seem to be a viable, not constantly babysitting micromanaging nightmare solution. I get it, auto-repair has to kick in - when there are no manual orders present. But manual is constantly overwritten by numerous other AI-decisions. It's like the nightmare of a true AI becoming reality. It's like giving it your little finger and you end up getting your whole arm chewed off.
100thMonkey

Post by 100thMonkey »

If I understand your problem correctly, a solution might be an additional tactical setting for ships and fleets, allowing to specify a threshold of damage that must be reached before they'd go for repairs. And that would apply whether the ships and fleets are on auto or manual.

Edit: no. After reflection, it should only apply to ships and fleets on auto, of course.
Thineboot

Post by Thineboot »

A solution might be an additional tactical setting for ships and fleets, allowing to specify a threshold of damage that must be reached before they'd go for repairs. And that would apply whether the ships and fleets are on auto or manual with "Automatically Repair Manual Ship" set to "Yes".

Return to “Distant Worlds 2: Tech Support”