UI stutter "bug"

Moderator: MOD_DW2

Jorgen_CAB

UI stutter "bug"

Post by Jorgen_CAB »

Platform: Steam
Build version: 1.0.6.4 (Beta)
Severity: Medium

After some time the UI when zoomed out to the galaxy view make some stutter (becomes unresponsive for a split second) roughly every five seconds... I have counted is so many times and it seem to be exactly five seconds... no matter what I'm doing.

If I zoom in to system view this does not happen or if I turn off the UI in the bottom right corner.

I also provided my PC specs... I'm sure my PC is well on the side to handle the game. I also measured the load on the GPU, CPU, RAM, VRAM and threads and neither is overloaded. The GPU seem to jump erratically between 20-60% sometimes spike to 80%... but this does not seem to correlate to the four seconds interval. The CPU seem to be handling things very well and is just breezing along at 10-20%... no core seem to be more overloaded than others from what I can tell.

My experience is that there is something with the UI that glitch every five seconds... this usually start when I reveal a couple of rival empires and they show up on the map, if this is just a coincident or not I don't know.

I did not bother to submit a save game as it happen all the time when the galaxy starts to develop and the other empires are revealed. I basically always play on the largest map, but I have seen it happen on smaller maps too.

I might also add that sometimes for a shorter period of time the stutter just magically disappear and as soon as I scroll in and out of a planet it is back again. From experimentation... it seem like the stutter only appear at region level, not Galaxy level... that narrows thing down a but I hope.

When I press the quick button to jump to "Regional" level it takes half a second and the UI is unresponsive... when I jump to any other zoom level it is instant.
Attachments
DxDiag.txt
(87.31 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Jorgen_CAB

Re: UI stutter "bug"

Post by Jorgen_CAB »

I found one more item on when this happen...

The UI only seem to start stutter when I have the "Location Badges" in Extended or Detailed... if I switch them to "Basic" all the stutter disappear.

So... only at regional zoom level when the "Location Badges" is set to "Extended" or "Detailed".

Hope that helps...
100thMonkey

Post by 100thMonkey »

I do not have a regular stutter that occurs no matter what I do. But if, as zoomed-out as I can go, I pan the galaxy while the UI is showing, there's some constant stuttering (as long as I pan). If I hide the interface, there's not stuttering even when panning.

Which suggests to me that there's something in the interface that requires a lot of juice (might be related to its many transparencies).
- Imagine how confusing it is to a new player!
- "The welfare of the people…has always been the alibi of tyrants…giving the servants of tyranny a good conscience." – Albert Camus
Jorgen_CAB

Post by Jorgen_CAB »

As I said... set the "Location Badges" to Basic or None... all my stuttering disappears... the game is so far no stuttering at all and very smooth at all levels.

So my issue have something to do with the "regional" zoom level and the badges which is shown at that zoom level.
100thMonkey

Post by 100thMonkey »

I did try that (regional view with and without badges, at different settings), and I didn't get the same problem. But there might be a connection between what you've seen and what I've seen: stuttering that is affected by what is shown or not shown of the UI. Maybe there's no connection, but I thought it was worth mentioning.
- Imagine how confusing it is to a new player!
- "The welfare of the people…has always been the alibi of tyrants…giving the servants of tyranny a good conscience." – Albert Camus

Return to “Distant Worlds 2: Tech Support”