START HERE: Latest Troubleshooting FAQ

Moderator: MOD_DW2

Erik Rutins

Re: START HERE: Latest Troubleshooting FAQ (1.0.1.9)

Post by Erik Rutins »

Menzoberranzan wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:52 am I have an AMD RX 590 in my system and I did not experience any crashes until 1.0.1.9 and now the game is completely unplayable.

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... 6&t=381097
Could you please try 1.0.2.0?
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

stephenpaget wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:18 am Started a new game on 1.0.1.9
CTD after about 30 mins whilst zooming out from an exploration ship that was selected. Can't replicate this crash. No crash log. Music was on and choppy.
Tired of this now. Feels like I'm bug hunting and have paid for the privilege. If this was early access wouldn't be as bad. Running on a laptop, which is perhaps where most users are having issues?

I understand your frustration completely and would feel the same way if this were happening to me. All I really ask is that you try each update. These issues while absolutely crippling on some systems don't appear at all on many systems (including our development systems). The good news is we've found a system that duplicates some of these at last and that should give us a much better chance of figuring out the cause.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Menzoberranzan

Post by Menzoberranzan »

Erik Rutins wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:20 pm
Menzoberranzan wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:52 am I have an AMD RX 590 in my system and I did not experience any crashes until 1.0.1.9 and now the game is completely unplayable.

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... 6&t=381097
30 minutes into a game with 1.0.2.0 and no problems to report at this time.

Thanks!

EDIT: After 4 hours of play, the came crashed to desktop on me. No logs were created.

EDIT 2: It appears the crash log was created hours before the game actually crashed.
DW2_CrashDump 16-03-2022 11-46-26.txt
(2.93 KiB) Downloaded 27 times
Last edited by Menzoberranzan on Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ezzler

Re: START HERE: Latest Troubleshooting FAQ (1.0.2.0)

Post by ezzler »

Update to 1.20
Just the same.

Crash after 20 minutes of so. No particular reason. Does it even on auto.
Three times in a row.
New game start each time.

AMD card
Jace11

Post by Jace11 »

Had a few crashes etc, graphics related I think, zooming, battles etc.

Made some progress, I was getting some flickering graphics on certain screens. One repeating symptom for me was the character screen backgrounds would flicker to black, then blurred, then render correctly, repeating every second (gave me a headache).

I changed a few settings in GameSettingsOverrides.txt

GraphicsAdapterIndex ;-1
GraphicsResolutionWidth ;1920
GraphicsResolutionHeight ;1080
GraphicsResolutionFullScreen ;
GraphicsForceDedicatedFullScreen ;true
GraphicsStreamingMemoryBudget ;2048
DisableFixedTimeStep ;true

To match my potato cards 2 GB VRAM, not sure what time step does, but the flickering is gone. I know this game has a memory leak issue as it gobbles up RAM to 6 GB quite quickly but reloading a saved game from that point brings it back down.
stephenpaget

Post by stephenpaget »

Erik Rutins wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:22 pm
CTD after about 30 mins whilst zooming out from an exploration ship that was selected. Can't replicate this crash. No crash log. Music was on and choppy.
Tired of this now. Feels like I'm bug hunting and have paid for the privilege. If this was early access wouldn't be as bad. Running on a laptop, which is perhaps where most users are having issues?

I understand your frustration completely and would feel the same way if this were happening to me. All I really ask is that you try each update. These issues while absolutely crippling on some systems don't appear at all on many systems (including our development systems). The good news is we've found a system that duplicates some of these at last and that should give us a much better chance of figuring out the cause.
Thanks for responding. This must be a nightmare for you. I'm updating as soon as new versions are available. Loaded an old save on version 1.0.2.0 CTD almost immediately, no crash log. Gas clouds with lightning storms murder the framerate ... Thinking of starting another new game but not sure I can face it :)
StormingKiwi

Post by StormingKiwi »

Sometimes my game stops responding, and Windows has the "this program is not responding" dialogue, so I close the game and relaunch (sending information to Microsoft)

There are no crash logs that I can find, but in one of his videos, Larry Monte opened up an inbuilt windows program which brought up the Windows crash log.
stephenpaget

Post by stephenpaget »

stephenpaget wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:36 pm
Erik Rutins wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:22 pm

Thanks for responding. This must be a nightmare for you. I'm updating as soon as new versions are available. Loaded an old save on version 1.0.2.0 CTD almost immediately, no crash log. Gas clouds with lightning storms murder the framerate ... Thinking of starting another new game but not sure I can face it :)
Started a new game, CTD within about 2 mins. No crash log. This seems much more unstable for me than previous versions ???
Erik Rutins

Re: START HERE: Latest Troubleshooting FAQ (1.0.2.1)

Post by Erik Rutins »

Updated to reflect 1.0.2.1, which is available now.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.
JustNick

Post by JustNick »

Hello, i'm playing dw2 since a little week now, each time (at a fresh pc start) after i start the game from startupscreen its starting for maybe 1 or 2 seconds and then crashes.
Then sometimes pc graphics come back in very basic settings (not amd radeon)
SOmetimes pc only comes back after restart or new start

I'm using a AMD pc
CPU Ryzen 9 3900x 12-core 3.79 Ghz
RAM 32 Gb
GPU Radeon RX 5700 XT

With newest drivers off cource
Attachments
DxDiag.txt
(85.09 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
DW2_CrashDump 20-03-2022 09-52-07.txt
(3.55 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
DW2_CrashDump 16-03-2022 09-21-03.txt
(3.28 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
firemad

Post by firemad »

@Erin:

Can you add a lensflare setting in the GameSettingsOverrides.txt ?

See my post:
https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... 2#p4976282

I can't start it now because I changed the value to 0 to try to correct my problem and now DW2 always crash every time on my system :mrgreen:

I think we need a safe mode start or something to reset by default the value of the graphic settings... :mrgreen:
Ingor

Post by Ingor »

I'm getting crashes when I zoom in, that obviously don't leave a file in the crash log, because I had 2 or 3 tonight and the last crashdump is from yesterday.

I'm still posting this in the hope that you can do something about it, because I'm getting annoyed at this game for this reason and I don't want to ! I've also found something that is called "session log" in there, dated from today, and it's talking about not finding my GPU in the first lines, so maybe it can help.
Attachments
SessionLog.txt
(25.66 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
DW2_CrashDump 19-03-2022 15-17-17.txt
(3.21 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
DxDiag.txt
(97.83 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

JustNick wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:36 am Hello, i'm playing dw2 since a little week now, each time (at a fresh pc start) after i start the game from startupscreen its starting for maybe 1 or 2 seconds and then crashes.
Then sometimes pc graphics come back in very basic settings (not amd radeon)
SOmetimes pc only comes back after restart or new start
Hi JustNick,

I'm sorry for the crashes, the issue in your crash logs is one of the key ones we've been working to understand and fix as our top priority. Unfortunately we can't duplicate it yet on our development systems, so I can't give an exact ETA for a fix. With each new update, you should try the game again to see if one of the fixes helps with your system.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

firemad wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 4:09 pm I can't start it now because I changed the value to 0 to try to correct my problem and now DW2 always crash every time on my system :mrgreen:
I think we need a safe mode start or something to reset by default the value of the graphic settings... :mrgreen:
If you delete the gamesettings and gamestartsettings files in the /data sub-folder of your installation, that should reset things for you. It's very strange that reducing lens flare would cause a crash, but perhaps something else became corrupted in the settings?
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Ingor wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:18 pm I'm getting crashes when I zoom in, that obviously don't leave a file in the crash log, because I had 2 or 3 tonight and the last crashdump is from yesterday.

I'm still posting this in the hope that you can do something about it, because I'm getting annoyed at this game for this reason and I don't want to ! I've also found something that is called "session log" in there, dated from today, and it's talking about not finding my GPU in the first lines, so maybe it can help.
The Radeon RX Vega which you have according to your DxDiag is an integrated GPU which is below the minimum specification for Distant Worlds 2 (a GeForce 760 equivalent). With that said, since it does support DirectX 11 that would normally mean it would run very slowly. The crashes may be resolved as we fix similar issues for other systems, but in general your performance will likely always be below the ideal level due to your GPU.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.
setomasamunep4

Post by setomasamunep4 »

So mister Erik, in the last post i notice something very off what you said as i also use a Vega mainly a 56 and it also says the same thing in my crash logs and session logs when i had crashes. I also looked at ingor DxDiag file and it has the same specs as my Vega 56 which is not a Intergrated GPU. Just to add to something i been noticing is i been heavy testing the main menu/start up crash and i been noticing something odd... every crash seems to cause my GPU driver to reset to stock settings but it always seems to try to load something from the Main menu just before it crashes. I feel like something connected to that is causing the start up crashes. Note i added the one from the last update as it the same thing which happens. Also i didn't make the DxDiag file at the time and honest from the amount i seen posted here and on stream i sure its something connected to what i stated.

Edited sorry forgot to post my specs
CPU: AMD 2700X
GPU: AMD Vega 56
Windows version: 10
RAM: 16GB 3000MHZ
Attachments
DW2_CrashDump 17-03-2022 14-24-06.txt
(3.1 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
DW2_CrashDump 18-03-2022 16-35-01.txt
(3.31 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
DW2_CrashDump 20-03-2022 17-52-59.txt
(3.31 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
SessionLog.txt
(44.44 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
setomasamunep4

Post by setomasamunep4 »

Ok just had the same crash on the new version but this time the driver didn't reset so that new but i want to bring this up for the devs. I think its something connected to the Main menu as the crash happens at the same place everytime. I going to post just the session log for today and the crash log of not just the new one but the ones which happened every other crash i gotten to show my point. These logs are from the last 3 patches to show it the same thing everytime.
Attachments
DW2_CrashDump 17-03-2022 14-24-06.txt
(3.1 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
DW2_CrashDump 20-03-2022 17-52-59.txt
(3.31 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
DW2_CrashDump 21-03-2022 16-45-00.txt
(3.31 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
SessionLog.txt
(44.32 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
Erik Rutins

Re: START HERE: Latest Troubleshooting FAQ (1.0.2.2)

Post by Erik Rutins »

Updated the first post to reflect 1.0.2.2. For anyone having issues, please give 1.0.2.2 a try.

Any posts below this should be based on 1.0.2.2.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.
Tkins

Re: START HERE: Latest Troubleshooting FAQ (1.0.2.2)

Post by Tkins »

With 1.0.2.2 I'm still crashing HARD when viewing battles. It's not even a CTD, it's a full on computer frozen, very loud buzzing sound can't do anything crash. I have to shut off my computer manually and then when I boot back up I have no audio and have to uninstall and reinstall my AMD drivers.

This is brutal quite honestly. It feels like if I keep testing this bug my computer is going to fully brick. I'm not sure I'm even able return the game now because I've put so many hours into testing and changing every possible solution. For now I'm going to wait until this is fully resolved before doing any more testing as I can't afford to lose a computer over it.

That being said, this game looks very promising and I can't wait to play it once it's in a playable state.
Flavor Clothing
Ingor

Post by Ingor »

Erik Rutins wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:32 pm
Ingor wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:18 pm I'm getting crashes when I zoom in, that obviously don't leave a file in the crash log, because I had 2 or 3 tonight and the last crashdump is from yesterday.

The Radeon RX Vega which you have according to your DxDiag is an integrated GPU which is below the minimum specification for Distant Worlds 2 (a GeForce 760 equivalent). With that said, since it does support DirectX 11 that would normally mean it would run very slowly. The crashes may be resolved as we fix similar issues for other systems, but in general your performance will likely always be below the ideal level due to your GPU.

Regards,

- Erik
Hi Erik, thanks for taking the time to answer me.

I'm sorry but the RX Vega isn't an integrated GPU, it's a real GPU, sometimes refered as RX Vega 64 in some identifications (see picture below). Could the game not use my GPU somehow, and run on my integrated card ? I find that highly unlikely, because up until my crash, It's running very smoothly.

Edit : just saw that a new version was out, I'm going to try it and see if the crashes keep happening.
Attachments
{9C14FD03-6468-4429-81B6-378B5F02E7A1}.png
{9C14FD03-6468-4429-81B6-378B5F02E7A1}.png (18.61 KiB) Viewed 1865 times

Return to “Distant Worlds 2: Tech Support”