How can I play the game in Windows 10?

War in Russia is a free update of the old classic, available in our Downloads section.
WarPig

How can I play the game in Windows 10?

Post by WarPig »

I cannot open it.
Ian R

RE: How can I play the game in Windows 10?

Post by Ian R »

You need to google "dosbox" and download it. Dosbox is a dos environment emulator that the game will run in.

You then need to make a config file for the game (see below), and set up a shortcut to dosbox exe.

In the target line, add a switch as follows: -conf "C:\War in Russia\dosbox74wir.conf".

Where dosbox74wir.conf is the name of the config file referred to above, parked in the wir folder.

Dosbox comes with a standardised .conf file with instruction lines, and it is easy to copy it and edit it in notepad to work best with your hardware.
"I am Alfred"
wga8888

RE: How can I play the game in Windows 10?

Post by wga8888 »

-The challenge is you are running an 'old' program on a 'newer' computer.
-I had contacted Matrix in the past about this. I can run UCV, WITP, and AE on my WinXP but cannot get a useful screen centering to allow play on my Win10. My WITE consistently suddenly quits with a few minutes on my WinXP but runs on Win10. Was suggested Win7 might be best for my collection of games. My Win10 only function is Internet Browser, Matrix, and Vassal so if I every acquire a Win7, will convert it from Win7.
-Keep in mind the application dates. UCV(2002), WITP (2005), AE(2009), WITE(2009), WITW(2014). Also have WBTS(2008), PzC, ED-BTR(2009). I still play pbem DOS Pacific War and War in Russia as DOS runs natively on WinXP.
-DOSBOX emulation is out there but I have found it inferior in using my full screen versus an OS than runs the game natively. Also I have never figured out how to get the mac version to run as cannot defiend a driveC as none exists on a Mac. The DOSBOX help and email never respond to my queries.
--------------------from Slitherine support
3. WitP:AE in Windows 10

Run the game in windowed mode. For running the game in windowed mode please do the following:

Open the game installation folder and find a file named "War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe". Click with your right mouse button over it and select "Send to > Desktop (create a shortcut)". This will create a new shortcut for the game.

Click with the right mouse button on the new shortcut and select Properties. Add the -w -px1920 -py1080 switches in the end of the "Target:" box line (check the attached screenshot.) If the installation folder is the default one, it should look like this:

"C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -w -px1920 -py1080

After adding the switch click on the "Apply" and "OK" button. Start the game by using this desktop shortcut.
Bill Thomson
wga8888@icloud.com
Discord: wga8888 #7339
817-501-2978 CST [-6 GMT]

Return to “War In Russia: The Matrix Edition”