CTD attempting to flee battle and other wierdness

Post bug reports here.

Moderator: MOD_TitansOfSteel

Thufir Hawat

CTD attempting to flee battle and other wierdness

Post by Thufir Hawat »

Hi all,

Inspired by GrimithR's set of TOS:WS videos I downloaded the game and am finding it quite fun.

Well, until now, because I'm not sure if this is a bug but it's damned odd.

I was playing solitary, 10v10 (5 per team, 4 teams) and being whupped by the AI, down to just two of my own titans combat effective--both missile/support titans--and one ally halfway across the map and out of sight and by all accounts being destroyed just as badly.

I had one of my titans turn and run, but as soon as it reached the map boundary and I clicked on the yellow-ed out run icon, up comes a dialog box telling my that my titan has suddenly exploded for no obvious reason, killing the pilot and doing the nominal blast damage to surrounding titans. Only after this is the now-dead jock asked if (s)he wants to leave the battle, and two out of three times after clicking 'flee' tos_ws.exe is reported by Vista as having stopped working. The third time, after losing the battle, I find the asploded jock is not dead in the summary screen, but is listed as 'deserted' with titan 'disabled' and appears fine on the jock roster--except that (s)he's no longer listed as my squad's manager, and in fact the new manager is now someone with business skill 24.

On a lark, I created a single-jock, single-titan squad and put them in battle, turned them around and attempted to exit, and sure enough, 'run' on the boundary causes engine explosion followed by asking if the dead titan wants to flee followed by CTD.

Now I'm sure that (according to the manual) I should be allowed to flee battle and take the 50% exp loss for being a coward, but having my titans mysteriously explode and having random CTDs because of it doesn't thrill me at all.

TOS:WS v1.2.2 patched from v1.2.1, running Vista 32-bit on a dual-core laptop.

EDIT: on a second attempt at having the single-jock test dummy leave (loading from autosave), this time selecting walk instead of run gives an engine explodes message followed by fleeing the battle, but the battle ended--titan disabled, pilot deserted. Upon going back to the squad, it shows jocks 1 of 2 in the list, but no leader, manager or mechanic, and I am unable to buy a titan as it tells me that the squad is empty, despite having the jock present (and even able to allocate DPs to it)! So perhaps two bugs--not being able to desert a battle (auto-engine-explosion), but the game allowing a successful flee on occasion (otherwise CTD), but getting confused as to whether the jock is dead or alive!

In short this has lead to me having to scrap a squad that was working its way up slowly, but I probably would've scrapped them anyway after a battle like that.
LarkinVB

RE: CTD attempting to flee battle and other wierdness

Post by LarkinVB »

Thanks for the report. I will have a look. So you say I can easily reproduce the bug with a single jock squad by just leaving the battle immediatly, right ?
Thufir Hawat

Post by Thufir Hawat »

Yes, precisely. Just a single jock on a randomly-picked recon titan, any battle (though I did just a 1-vs-1), just turn around and try to leave the map and bam, engine explodes killing the jock and then it asks if the now-charred jock wants to leave the battle. Either it CTDs when you select 'flee' or you'll end up with a jock whom you can allocate DPs to but the game doesn't think is alive for leader/mech/manager or titan-purchasing purposes.
LarkinVB

Post by LarkinVB »

I think I found the problem and fixed it. I added the auto explosion for debug purposes and forgot to remove it.

Fixed v1.2.2 patch uploaded, please download again.  

Return to “Tech Support”