Vista troubles

Post bug reports here.

Moderator: MOD_TitansOfSteel

LarkinVB

RE: Vista troubles

Post by LarkinVB »

Can you try to play with music_at_all = no and ambient sound volume off (F4) in battle or does it crash immediatly ?

It seems the crash is related to sound streaming which is done for music AND ambient sounds. Music can be disabled by music_at_all but this is not true for ambient sounds. Possible workaround: If the game crashes before you can stop ambient streaming with F4 you can try to remove or rename the ambient0.wav to ambient4.wav files in the sounds folder. This should result in no ambient streaming.

Please notify me if this is the cause of crashes.
LarkinVB

Post by LarkinVB »

I added an ambient_at_all flag for tcc.cfg to disable ambient streaming. You have to download 1.2.2b58.

The flag belongs to the [TOS_WS_BATTLE] section of the file, not [TOS_WS_GENERAL] !

To disable ambient streaming it looks like that :

[TOS_WS_BATTLE]
ambient_at_all = no

I hope you will get no crash but sound effects with ambient/music disabled and sound enabled.

LarkinVB

Post by LarkinVB »

The problem should be solved with 1.2.2b60. No need to tinker with tcc.cfg file settings.
Ast0reth

Post by Ast0reth »

I am running Windows 7 x64 and am running into the same issue. I have just found out about the game (being excited about playing it isn't helping my level-headedness when troubleshooting) so I can say that it's never run on this PC before. I am currently running b60, but have tried running the download straight away with no luck as well. I am running as an administrator and have tried different variations of compatibility mode. I have disabled sound entirely. I have tried installing to the default location as well as my (x86) folder. I'm running out of ideas. :(

Game looks great, man. Hope I get a chance to play it.

-Ast0reth

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:    APPCRASH
  Application Name:    tos_ws.exe
  Application Version:    2.0.0.0
  Application Timestamp:    4c696bfc
  Fault Module Name:    battle.dll
  Fault Module Version:    0.0.0.0
  Fault Module Timestamp:    4c696ba1
  Exception Code:    c0000005
  Exception Offset:    00026663
  OS Version:    6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
  Locale ID:    1033
  Additional Information 1:    9ac7
  Additional Information 2:    9ac7815501fdd72386d6d8bb248043a7
  Additional Information 3:    ab53
  Additional Information 4:    ab53384804636647c788b60ccf651bdf

Read our privacy statement online:
  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid= ... cid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
  C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

LarkinVB

Post by LarkinVB »

Sorry but I fear you are out of luck. Did you try running it on only one core ? I assume you have a multicore cpu. At which point does it crash ?
Samurai Fox

Post by Samurai Fox »

I haven't played too much of this (great) game so far, but I've noticed an oddity.  The game crashes to desktop unless I simply set the compatibility to Windows XP.  I'm currently using Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit and I'm playing the most current, up-to-date version of ToS:WS.  The game runs perfect with XP compatibility enabled, but I'm curious about the reason for the game not wanting to run on normal compatibility settings if there's an explanation for this.

Again, great game from what I've played so far, and thanks for making this game freeware.  I plan on playing an all-night session now that I have the time and peace-of-mind to do so. [8D]
LarkinVB

Post by LarkinVB »

I have no idea. I can run the game fine with Windows 7 64 bit with no extra compatibility settings. When does it crash ? Do you play fullscreen or windowed mode ? Are you sure you are playing the latest v1.2.2 and downloaded the patch after 2/21 ?
Samurai Fox

Post by Samurai Fox »

The crash occurs right after the FMV of the Matrix logo, and yes, I'm playing the latest version of the game (using the patch you've described).

I've noticed another problem with the game, but it's not a big issue.  Still, it might be worth investigating: It seems that switching color settings (between 16-bit and 32-bit) causes a crash to the desktop.  However, fortunately, the changes of the color settings are still saved and will work after a reboot of the game.  Not sure if using XP compatibility is the issue here, but then again, it's really the only way I can get the game running so far.

Aside from those two very minor issues, the game runs flawlessly here (and last night's all-nighter session was a blast, best 8 hours I've ever spent on a video game, and this coming from a person who's more likely to play shmups than anything else [;)]).  Still, you might want to investigate this because it could be a more severe problem for anyone else trying to run the game.

Great job on the game, I will be playing more of ToS: WS!

EDIT: Just so that I'm clear about this, I did not have to change any of the sound settings mentioned above to make the game functional. All I had to do was to change the compatibility settings.
LarkinVB

Post by LarkinVB »

I can confirm the crash while switching bitmap depth. I never tried this at all in 9 years. [:D] Why did you do this ? No need to use this option, the default depth the game is setting is fine.

The other crash seems to be related to the intro video. Have you tried setting intro_at_all = no in data\configs\tcc.cfg ?
Samurai Fox

Post by Samurai Fox »

Disabling the intro video allows the game to work in default compatibility settings.  Not sure why video playback is an issue.  Would I need some kind of video codec to play the intro on default compatibility settings?
LarkinVB

Post by LarkinVB »

The codec is installed with the game. No idea why it does not work in your case. This is a small and rare issue with two easy workaround options. I guess I won't spend time to find the cause. I can't even recreate it.
LarkinVB

Post by LarkinVB »

ORIGINAL: LarkinVB

The codec is installed with the game. No idea why it does not work in your case. This is a small and rare issue with two easy workaround options. I guess I won't spend time to find the cause. I can't even recreate it.

I found that the intro videos do not work with Windows 7 64bit. The fix is to set the compatibility mode of tos_ws.exe to Windows XP SP3 and they will play fine.

Return to “Tech Support”