About replenishment TFs

Pacific War is a free update of the old classic, available in our Downloads section.
JapLance

About replenishment TFs

Post by JapLance »

I'm using 3.2.15 version.

Time has come to assault the Marianas, so I set up the Air Combat TFs and a Replenishment TF as support sailing from Wake. That TF had orders to stay 5 hexes away from Saipan. I execute the turn, and next when I try to get Air Combat TFs to replenish nothing happens. I search for the Replenishment group, and its position is 2 hexes AWAY from Wake I, still with destination Saipan.

I think it's the first time I see this behaviour. I had previously used fuel-only replenishment groups in this game, and couldn't find anything unusual. But this time the Task Force has CVEs for spare planes (the kind with no air groups) and should be operating under enemy cover.

Are Replenishment forces like Cargo ones in that they won't enter an enemy air ZOC? I don't really understand how did it end up farther from the enemy than its own base.
Greetings from Spain.
Ian R

RE: About replenishment TFs

Post by Ian R »

It has been a while since I have played this game, although I am intending on getting back to the new exe after I finish my current game of witp:ae.

First point, you may need someone more aggressive than Glassford to venture into danger, although replenishment groups ("AOE" for short) are probably supposed to be cautious.

Second, it will take your air combat TFs a week or two to establish air supremacy, at which point I think your AOE TF will happily join them.

Best idea, as always, is to assault and take one of the bases and park your AOE TF there under a blanket of Corsairs.

In the meantime, get your 4E groups in range to suppress IJ airbases. That alone might weaken the IJ airzones enough that Glassford will sally forth.
"I am Alfred"
Ian R

Post by Ian R »

This post reminds of something though - could there be a separate CVE class named "AKV Casablanca" or something similar, so that it is easier to tell at a glance which CVE groups go into the replenishment groups? I can't see the little blue planes on the deck (or not) any more.

I appreciate the ship class needs to still be a CVE, it is more an adjustment that uses and appropriately named ship class slot.

"I am Alfred"
JapLance

Post by JapLance »

ORIGINAL: Ian R

First point, you may need someone more aggressive than Glassford to venture into danger, although replenishment groups ("AOE" for short) are probably supposed to be cautious.

Second, it will take your air combat TFs a week or two to establish air supremacy, at which point I think your AOE TF will happily join them.

Seems like you're right. Next turn the Replenishment TF did what I expected it to do from the start.

But I still don't understand why it moved so far from its intended targeted base. It could have stopped at the edge of the Japanese air ZOC, which certainly was closer than Wake I.
Greetings from Spain.
JapLance

Post by JapLance »

ORIGINAL: Ian R

This post reminds of something though - could there be a separate CVE class named "AKV Casablanca" or something similar, so that it is easier to tell at a glance which CVE groups go into the replenishment groups? I can't see the little blue planes on the deck (or not) any more.

I appreciate the ship class needs to still be a CVE, it is more an adjustment that uses and appropriately named ship class slot.

Casablanca Class transports and Bogue Class (which I think are all used as transports) use the same icon that can be edited. I did a cheap work adding a TR to the icon on top of the carrier and seems to work for the US carriers. Doesn't for the British ones though.

Greetings from Spain.

Return to “Pacific War: The Matrix Edition”