Pacific War Update Version 3.2.15 Available for Download

Pacific War is a free update of the old classic, available in our Downloads section.
Rich Dionne

RE: Pacific War Update Version 3.2.15 Available for Download

Post by Rich Dionne »

ORIGINAL: bradk

Make everything editable. Its great for AI guys. AI won't argue no matter what the settings. But the PBEM guys, with everything negotiable, nobody will ever be able to come to an agreement for a PBEM game. And if they do the advantage goes to the better negotiator, not the better player.
Ha! that's really funny! Negotiating Pacwar "house rules" with you must be a real nightmare!!
bradk

Post by bradk »

Ha to you too!!! [:)]
Rich Dionne

Post by Rich Dionne »

Ha to you too!!! [:)]
Well, at least we're laughing together, that's some progress! [;)]
Rich Dionne

Post by Rich Dionne »

I've managed to move the human player aircraft selection list mostly outside of the EXE. What creates the list of aircraft available for upgrade is now contained in the scenario extension files I already added to hold the AI aircraft and factory upgrade paths. The new data for each aircraft is contained in one byte. Bit 1 = IJA, Bit 2 = IJN, Bit 3 = Netherlands, Australia, and New Zealand, Bit 4 = Great Britain, Bit 5 = USAAF, Bit 6 = USMC, Bit 7 = USN, and Bit 8 = Carrier based air. So now each aircraft can be individually selected for which service it was available to. This gives much more selectivity than was available previously, and can be varied from scenario to scenario. It will fix issues like the USMC being unable to select the F4U-1 but able to select a Seafire that Zeke mentioned in another post. This will be coming when I can manage to issue 3.2.16 along with other fixes like the oil depletion problem. I'll try to do more testing pre-release this time.
bradk

Post by bradk »

"Well, at least we're laughing together, that's some progress!"

Its not personal Rich.
bradk

Post by bradk »

ORIGINAL: Rich Dionne

I've managed to move the human player aircraft selection list mostly outside of the EXE. What creates the list of aircraft available for upgrade is now contained in the scenario extension files I already added to hold the AI aircraft and factory upgrade paths. The new data for each aircraft is contained in one byte. Bit 1 = IJA, Bit 2 = IJN, Bit 3 = Netherlands, Australia, and New Zealand, Bit 4 = Great Britain, Bit 5 = USAAF, Bit 6 = USMC, Bit 7 = USN, and Bit 8 = Carrier based air. So now each aircraft can be individually selected for which service it was available to. This gives much more selectivity than was available previously, and can be varied from scenario to scenario. It will fix issues like the USMC being unable to select the F4U-1 but able to select a Seafire that Zeke mentioned in another post. This will be coming when I can manage to issue 3.2.16 along with other fixes like the oil depletion problem. I'll try to do more testing pre-release this time.

Over there --->

Tap Tap... Rich?

Over there ---> The crippled AI.

A lot more important than the effect of exploding shells.

Needs a real fix. Not a nuclear bandaid with all kinds of fallout.

I'm pushing for a decent AI not because I play vs AI - I don't - but because its good for the game. Why am I the advocate on this?
bradk

Post by bradk »

For those who might be unaware, what you have is a crippled AI. The Matrix Edition had a tantrum over "AI Cheating" and disabled a lot of AI features. Then when the game didn't work well instead of backing up they told people to play with Max Help for AI.
Rich Dionne

Post by Rich Dionne »

For those who might be unaware, what you have is a crippled AI. The Matrix Edition had a tantrum over "AI Cheating" and disabled a lot of AI features. Then when the game didn't work well instead of backing up they told people to play with Max Help for AI.
I've already put much effort into the AI, for the last couple of years; probably 75% of my effort! I've been advocating this from the beginning, when it was low on your priority list. It'll never approach a human opponent, but it's doing a pretty damn good job now (in 3.2.15). I think folks will already have fun with it during their testing. If you'd look beyond the oil depletion issue, Brad, you might have already seen it playing a respectable game. The AI is no longer crippled. It might not kick your ass, but it may scare the hell out of you at times! Even with the oil issue in 3.2.15, you can still see a couple years of excellent combat. Give it try and you'll see. Both Japan and the Allies are strong, particularly when on the attack.

I've even created the ability for the AI (both Allies and Japan) to choose between 3 different attack strategies. The code is all there, I just haven't had time to add strategies 2 and 3 yet. I've been too damn busy responding to unproductive comments from certain people! Trying to get strategies 2 and 3 down is next on my list.

I can't believe you've harped on this Brad, it's one area where I think I've made a lot of progress. You have know clue on the changes that have been made, and you clearly have spent no time actually watching the details of play, or playing against the AI yourself. You've been hyper-focused on watching oil levels drop.

If you're going to make comments, please try to be constructive...
Rich Dionne

Post by Rich Dionne »

Over there --->

Tap Tap... Rich?

Over there ---> The crippled AI.

A lot more important than the effect of exploding shells.

Needs a real fix. Not a nuclear bandaid with all kinds of fallout.

I'm pushing for a decent AI not because I play vs AI - I don't - but because its good for the game. Why am I the advocate on this?

Unbelievable you would attack progress I'm making...

The crippled AI is already fixed. I worked on it for 2 years. It's already in 3.2.15.

These attacks are pretty pathetic. Seriously, please be constructive.
bradk

Post by bradk »

" The AI is no longer crippled."

Yea, but you have a nuclear solution with plenty of fallout. You sure didn't spell out your solution was an extra 275 PPs per turn for IJ AI and free LCU activation for both AIs. Why didn't you just put back the GG stuff Matrix took out? THAT is a constructive suggestion made MANY times.
bradk

Post by bradk »

"Unbelievable you would attack progress I'm making..."

Your 3.2.9 from 2016 is playable.

Its clear, right here in this thread, your 2019 version isn't.

Progress?
Rich Dionne

Post by Rich Dionne »

Besides improvements, there have been many original bugs fixed since 3.2.9. Please check out the list of fixes in the game folder. But go ahead and use it if you want...

Seriously, just stop. If you don't have something nice to say, don't say it.
bradk

Post by bradk »

"Seriously, just stop. If you don't have something nice to say, don't say it."

I was wondering what your definition of constructive comments was. Thanks for clearing that up.
bradk

Post by bradk »

"Besides improvements, there have been many original bugs fixed since 3.2.9. Please check out the list of fixes in the game folder. But go ahead and use it if you want... "

Fix two things, break five...
Istfemer

Post by Istfemer »

Wow, what a heated discussion you two have had!

Brad, Rich,
I'd greatly appreciate it if you cut down on ad hominems and continued this discussion on the PWU board.
I'm still struggling to understand some details of your positions, particularly your views on OBCs.
captndave

Post by captndave »

Rich,
Thank you for your work on this update. Its playing very well. The built in DOSBox is a nice touch... [8D]
Rich Dionne

Post by Rich Dionne »

Thanks Cap, I should have another update soon fixing some of the issues previously mentioned. I just need to find some time to do some testing...
JapLance

Post by JapLance »

It's amazing how I can still enjoy a +20 year old game thanks to your efforts. Eternal gratitude, Mr Dionne.

I've ben playing a bit lately, and I'm puzzled by something that seems like a bug. I've been trying to send British TFs from Darwin to Port Moresby, and they always take the long route all around Australia. I guess the strait between Australia and New Guinea must be coded as land, but I don't know whether this is working as intended or is a bug. It happens even without a Japanese ZOC in the area.

The TF South of Perth in the screenshot was ordered to depart Darwin for Port Moresby.
Greetings from Spain.
Rich Dionne

Post by Rich Dionne »

JapLance, Thanks for the feedback! Zeke99 mentioned this also. I've looked into the issue and the code causing this is intended for AI players only (part of an attempt to save the AI from suicide rides through the Japanese empire!), but it's affecting human play as well. I'll fix it and implement it in the next version, which is coming shortly.

OK, fixed it. Hopefully will release new version shortly...
JapLance

Post by JapLance »

JapLance, Thanks for the feedback! Zeke99 mentioned this also. I've looked into the issue and the code causing this is intended for AI players only (part of an attempt to save the AI from suicide rides through the Japanese empire!), but it's affecting human play as well. I'll fix it and implement it in the next version, which is coming shortly.

OK, fixed it. Hopefully will release new version shortly...

Great news [:)]. Will 3.2.15 saved games be compatible with the new version?
Greetings from Spain.

Return to “Pacific War: The Matrix Edition”