Win XP, Win2000... Pacific War works!!! Read how!!!

Pacific War is a free update of the old classic, available in our Downloads section.
Cmdr. Rudolph

Win XP, Win2000... Pacific War works!!! Read how!!!

Post by Cmdr. Rudolph »

:) Hello my fellow friends around the globe. Greetings from germany!!!:)
Yesterday, 20th of August 2002, i finally found my so long looking for War in the South Pacific, formerly released by SSI on C64.
I always wanted to play it, but on Commodore 64 it was unplayable. -It tooks hours before it accepted a key command.
now finally i found it here by MATRIX.
And had the same problem, like most users of up to date OS.
After, greeting screen a black screen.., it read nearly 60% of all posts in the forum.
About, this special problem-

and finally i solved it... yeahhh

:cool:
1. Open your game directory an right click on the"pac.exe"
and click "properties of..."
2. Select "memory" and apply following settings!!!

Conv. memory both "AUTO"
Expa. memory [EMS] "none"
Exte. memory [XMS] "2048" use "HMA"-yes
Workspace for MSDos... "AUTO"

-sorry, if the verb vary i use the german OS, so i translated it on
my own. If, you have any questions or problems with it, please
mail me....;)

By the way, i use WinXP on an AMD XP1800+ with 512MB DDR Ram, SB Audigy Ex, around 120GB HDD´s and DIRECT X 8.1a
Sam-I-am

Post by Sam-I-am »

showthread.php?s=&threadid=11074

Is this the same fix?
sw30

Post by sw30 »

roughly the same fix. In English, the settings are
"Expanded Memory" [EMS]
"Extended memory" [XMS]

----------------
Since this is now stickied, I'll put the other part of the fix here for completeness. You could also use the handy-dandy search button... :)
----------------
You might want to set "Conventional Memory" to 640, and check the "protected" box.

Under program, Advanced, there is a place where you can specify your autoexec file and your config file. I usually copy the currently used one to my pacwar directory, change the properties to point to the copy, and make changes to those. DO NOT change the ones under System32! you will screw up your other dos windows.

In the autoexec file, put a REM in front of (or simply delete) the lines that initialize the CD rom, set the network redirector. You could leave dosx if you want, I don't think it matters.

in the config.sys, make sure that "dos = high, umb" the umb is typically not there. REM out the line for himem.sys You could have "EMM = RAM" like some posters recommend but since you already have set EMS = 0, this line would be ignored.

I have gotten this to work under Win 98, Win NT, Win 2K, Win XP.

Jeff
Capt Cliff

Don't Work!

Post by Capt Cliff »

I got WIN ME and doing what was advertised above don't work! I still get the low memory error! I have not yet figured out what ME is loading into low mem or how to stop it!
Capt. Cliff
Capt. Harlock

To Capt. Cliff

Post by Capt. Harlock »

Windows ME is based on the Win 9X system, unlike Windows 2000 and XP, which are based on Win NT. The bad news is that ME is probably the least friendly towards DOS of all the Windows operating systems. I recommend opening a "command-line" window, (see if you have something under "programs" that says "MS-DOS Prompt") and then typing in:
MEM /C |MORE

This will tell you what is loaded into DOS memory. (The |MORE part of the command just makes it pause before the output runs off the screen.)

The biggest part of the problem is that for Windows ME, the important stuff is no longer affected by autoexec.bat and config.sys -- those settings are now ferreted off somewhere in the registry, and the only way to get to them is to use the System Configuration Utility.
Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo
Capt Cliff

To Capt Harlock

Post by Capt Cliff »

I checked the mem reading and I got MSDOS, VMM32, Command and DOSKEY loaded into conventiional memory. I checked the registry using msconfig and got nowhere. Any idea on how to get MSDOS to load into highmem?
Capt. Cliff
Capt. Harlock

Tweaking Windows Me

Post by Capt. Harlock »

Let me start off by saying that Windows ME is the flavor of Windows that I am least familiar with. I've managed to do some extended experimentation with everything else from DOS 5.0 all the way to Windows XP, but I've never had ME installed on one of my own computers, just a couple that I borrowed for a brief time. Therefore, the techniques below have not been "combat-tested". But here is what I've been able to find from on-line research and consulting with my computer-savvy friends.

It is entirely possible that MS-DOS is already partially loading into the High Memory area. (There must always be a portion remaining in the 640K area.) You can check by looking at the bottom of the information displayed after the "MEM" command: it will often say "MS-DOS is resident in High Memory Area". If not, and you want to try moving MS-DOS, here's what I've been able to find out. Win ME ignores just about everything in the config.sys file, so it's no good using the DOS=HIGH line. In order to get to the important settings, click Programs, Accessories, System Tools and then open System Information. Under Tools, open the System Configuration Utility: Under the Environment Tab, click New and then enter Variable Name: Variable Value: dos: high

It might also be possible to get the memory you need by editing the MSDOS.SYS file in your root directory. (You may have to uncheck 'hide protected operating system files' in the Folder Options under View in the Control Panel for you to view MSDOS.SYS. Also, make sure you right click Msdos.sys, click properties, and then uncheck 'read-only' to be able to save this file once you have added these options) Add these under the [Options] section:
Dblspace=0 This will tell the OS not to load the DoubleSpace compression program during boot up, thereby freeing up memory and reducing an unnecessary program from running. Do not use this if you are using a compressed hard drive!
Drvspace=0 This setting tells the OS not to load the DriveSpace compression program during boot up, thereby freeing up memory and reducing an unnecessary program from running. Again, do not use this if you are using a compressed hard drive!
Doublebuffer=X This setting tells the computer whether or not to use double-buffering for your hard drive. If you have a smaller FAT32 partition (under 10 GB per partition is a good rule) or you still use FAT16, you should be able to disable this by inserting a 0 for the X. This will buy you about 3K of RAM, which is actually included under “MS-DOS”. If you have a large FAT32 partition or you use SCSI, I recommend that you leave this one alone.
Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo
Capt Cliff

Post by Capt Cliff »

Capt. Harlock,

I get the MS-DOS loaded into high memory message, but I still get 45K of DOS loading into conventional mem! I did the environ edit trying to load DOS into HIGH, first it barfed then I added ", UMB" to the "HIGH" line and it took it. Well sort of, it didn't give me an error message but it did load DOS into high men either!

DAH!

Any other ideas?
Capt. Cliff
Capt. Harlock

Post by Capt. Harlock »

It's beginning to sound like your best bet is to get a Windows 98 boot disk from somewhere. (Remember to load a mouse driver in CONFIG.SYS or AUTEXEC.BAT on the floppy.)

If you're willing to do more work on Windows ME, try opening a DOS command window, note which directory you're in, and then type:
MEM /D >memory.txt

This will produce a LOT of information on memory usage, and save it in a text file in the active directory for you to look over in detail. (If you like, you can e-mail me a copy of the file.) I'm guessing that big chunks of memory have been set aside for TSR programs that are included under the MS-DOS area.

--Victor Hugo
chrisman1

Post by chrisman1 »

I've tried both Cmdr Rudolf's suggestions and SW30's and it still won't work for me.

When I did Cmdr Rudolf's fix, I still had the same problem of not seeing most of the text - unit size/strength, text in bottom text boxes, etc. I then tried SW30's and now I get the following message when I launch the game: AUTOEXEC.PW not suitable for MS-DOS & Microsoft Windows. Only option is to close and cancel.

What might I be doing wrong. I'm on an IBM Thinkpad using MS2000.

Chris
Capt. Harlock

On Autoexec.pw

Post by Capt. Harlock »

From what I hear, Windows 2000 and XP are very sensitive to the AUTOEXEC.NT and CONFIG.NT files, so it is best to start by creating exact copies. The easiest way is to use Windows Explorer to "copy" and "paste" the files from the \system32 subdirectory into your Pacific War directory. Now, open the new "AUTOEXEC.NT" file (NOT the original!) using Notepad or some other text editor, and REM out or erase the lines:

lh %SystemRoot%\system32\redir
lh %SystemRoot%\system32\dosx

Save the file and exit from Notepad. At this point, you can rename the new AUTOEXEC.NT and CONFIG.NT files to "AUTOEXEC.PW" and "CONFIG.PW", but it isn't really necessary. Next, select the "PAC.EXE" file and then click your right mouse button and select "PROPERTIES" from the menu that pops up. Go to the program sheet. There select "ADVANCED". The two editable lines should read %SystemRoot%\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT and %SystemRoot%\SYSTEM32\CONFIG.NT. Change these to point to the new "CONFIG.PW" and "AUTOEXEC.PW" files.

--Victor Hugo
chrisman1

Post by chrisman1 »

Well, I'm sorry to say, I followed your instructions to the letter and it still doesn't work. I experience the same problem - missing text. I don't get any of the details when I look at units: fuel/supply at a base, strength, size, speed, etc....Basically, all I get is the units icon/graphic and a bunch of zeros.

Based on an earlier reply, I looked at my Config.sys file. I do have: "dos = high, umb". When I REM out the line for himem.sys, I received an error stating my system could not access the memory, so I took out the "REM". I did not have "EMM = RAM" or "EMS = 0", so I added one, then the other, and finally both of them with no change in results.

Of coures all of these modifications were made after copying the files to my PW folder and re-routing PW via the Advanced option.
Doug Olenick

Post by Doug Olenick »

I have the exact same problem as Chrisman. I've implemented the memory fixes, but does anyone have an answer, in English if possible, to the text problem?
Capt. Harlock

Post by Capt. Harlock »

I'll assume that the problem is a lack of DOS memory, which it usually is. One possible way of finding out is to open a DOS command window and type:
MEM /C

At the bottom, there should be a "Largest executable program size" line. If it reads less than 590K, you are short on DOS memory. (It doesn't matter how much actual RAM you have, what counts is free memory available to DOS.)

To fix this, unzip the files in the attachment to this message into your "Pacific War" directory. Next, using Windows Explorer, select the "PAC.EXE" file and then click your right mouse button and select "PROPERTIES" from the menu that pops up. Go to the program sheet. There select "ADVANCED". The two editable lines should read:

%SystemRoot%\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT
and
%SystemRoot%\SYSTEM32\CONFIG.NT.

Change these to point to the new "CONFIG.GAM" and "AUTOEXEC.GAM" files. (Remember you need to change the directory path information as well as the file names.)
Attachments
gameset.zip
(1.51 KiB) Downloaded 354 times

--Victor Hugo
mmoaorrke

Post by mmoaorrke »

Thanks Cmdr Rudolph. I've been dreading moving PacWar to my new computer with the Windows XP. Finally had to do to technical difficulties on my old machine running Windows 98. Followed your advice in the first post, and works like a charm.
Hard Sarge

Post by Hard Sarge »

hi guys
been trying these ideas to get out of the out of mem hassle, but am not getting them to work

%SystemRoot%\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT
and
%SystemRoot%\SYSTEM32\CONFIG.NT.

Change these to point to the new "CONFIG.GAM" and "AUTOEXEC.GAM" files. (Remember you need to change the directory path information as well as the file names.)

when you say change the path, how much do you need to add in ?

%systemroot%\Pacificwar 3-2\config.gam ????

when I do it like that I get a message saying it will not run msdos programs

so I think I got the path wrong, any help please

HARD_Sarge
Capt. Harlock

Post by Capt. Harlock »

My apologies--I should have provided more detail. Using %systemroot% will point to whaterver directory the Windows system files are in, usually C:\WINDOWS. You want a path to where the Pacific War files, and hopefully your new set-up files are. Unfortunately, that directory changes from user to user: I don't think there is a standard any more since the upgrade to 3.0.

You will typically have something like:

C:\Program Files\MatrixGames\Pacific War\

and unfortunately this all has to be pasted into the box for the set-up files.

Now that I think about it, it should be possible to put "AUTOEXEC.GAM" and "CONFIG.GAM" directly into C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32. This would allow you to keep the "%systemroot% parameter, and only change the extensions from ".NT" to ".GAM".

--Victor Hugo
Hard Sarge

Post by Hard Sarge »

Hi Capt Harlock

thanks for the reply, was not sure if the system root had to be in there or not, so needed to ask

will try it again

HARD_Sarge
Cmdrcain

Post by Cmdrcain »

Originally posted by Capt. Harlock
My apologies--I should have provided more detail. Using %systemroot% will point to whaterver directory the Windows system files are in, usually C:\WINDOWS. You want a path to where the Pacific War files, and hopefully your new set-up files are. Unfortunately, that directory changes from user to user: I don't think there is a standard any more since the upgrade to 3.0.

You will typically have something like:

C:\Program Files\MatrixGames\Pacific War\

and unfortunately this all has to be pasted into the box for the set-up files.

Now that I think about it, it should be possible to put "AUTOEXEC.GAM" and "CONFIG.GAM" directly into C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32. This would allow you to keep the "%systemroot% parameter, and only change the extensions from ".NT" to ".GAM".

I used first post to resolve out of memory occuring when I clicked on a Plane group to change type or mission, now looks ok, I'd note however on above that you guys are missing something which is that because it is a DOS game and matrix added an "menu startup" of its own, you don't necessary need to use that, its part of the normal setup but you can copy the Pacwar Dir and the sub directory, Data I believe and name it anything, like I presently have every version setup as :

C:\Pacwar\pw20
With other versions off the Pacwar Did like \pw2.5 \pw30 \pw31
\pw32

Ie: c:\Pacwar\pw30
.....................\pw31
......................\pw32

So if any have to tinker with the Autoexec, configs, and its a bit overlong in editing path , just move the actual Pacwar folder into a shorter named folder, do not use matrix's menu startup, instead you create a shortcut for each versions pacwar.exe to desktop, rename each shortcut like shortcut to Pacwar 3.0 and then edit in XP the Memory settings... set to win95 or 98 compatibity mode too.

Then you have if really want or need to tinker with autoexecs, as said elsewhere COPY them from windows dir to the say c:\pacwar\pw30 folder, edit The copies, rename them to reduce any possiable conflict with same named in windows folder, and edit the pointer to those in the pacwar properties, and you will have a short path to put in like c:\pacwar\pw30\pw30autoexec.bat or such..

however i've not had to do anything but the first posts suggested change through i've yet to fully play a game of pacwar to see if more memory probs occur.
Noise? What Noise? It's sooooo quiet and Peaceful!
Battlestar Pegasus
Philodraco

Post by Philodraco »

My XP can not work and I have to use my old computer to play it.

Return to “Pacific War: The Matrix Edition”