V for Victory: Market Garden

Panther Games' Highway to the Reich revolutionizes wargaming with its pausable, continuous time game play and advanced artificial intelligence. Command like a real General, under real time pressures to achieve real objectives on a real map all within the fog of war. Issue orders to your powerful AI controlled subordinates or take total control of every unit. Fight the world's most advanced AI opponent or match wits against your friends online or over a LAN. Highway to the Reich covers all four battles from Operation Market Garden, including Arnhem, Nijmegen, Eindhoven and the 30th Corps breakout from Neerpelt.

Moderator: Arjuna

HitMan52

V for Victory: Market Garden

Post by HitMan52 »

While waiting for the release of AA:HttR I dusted off an old (1993)Atomic Game V for Victory series that dealt with the same battle. Anyone play it? In any event this old DOS based game claims that my Dell with 256 megs of Ram has insufficient memory to run:confused: Anyone know how to tweak Windows XP to get this game to run?

Thanks in advance:)
Rooster

Post by Rooster »

You might ask the question over at Eric Young: Squad Assault. I think he was one of the designers on on the V for Victory series.

But I tried to get an answer to the same question some time ago and had no luck.

Some one would probably need to create an emulator or something.
Mr.Frag

Post by Mr.Frag »

Memory serves, they used a memory extender. Make a dos boot disk and have fun playing, the whole series is available for free now. Might have problems with finding a dos USB mouse driver though.
dwinston

Post by dwinston »

Where?

Also I have D-Day in this series and tried playing it and can get it loaded but it can't find the CD-ROM (yes I applied the 1.01 patch). Any ideas. I still think this was one of the best wargame series to have made.
Mr.Frag

Post by Mr.Frag »

dwinston wrote:Where?

Also I have D-Day in this series and tried playing it and can get it loaded but it can't find the CD-ROM (yes I applied the 1.01 patch). Any ideas. I still think this was one of the best wargame series to have made.
http://www.the-underdogs.org/letter.php?id=V

All of them will be floating around here. The question is whether you can dumb up your machine enough to make them run...
Hertston

Post by Hertston »

That site has most of the old wargames, although as Mr.Frag suggests which you can actually get to run is a different question altogether.

I must admit I had an enjoyable weekend trawling through that site trying, but decided it was ultimately pretty pointless.. "todays" games really are a lot better. Especially with stuff like SP:WoW and revised versions of the earlier Gary Grigsby games that run just fine.
Crimguy

Post by Crimguy »

HitMan52 wrote:While waiting for the release of AA:HttR I dusted off an old (1993)Atomic Game V for Victory series that dealt with the same battle. Anyone play it? In any event this old DOS based game claims that my Dell with 256 megs of Ram has insufficient memory to run:confused: Anyone know how to tweak Windows XP to get this game to run?

Thanks in advance:)
Might be tough getting it to run on XP or 2000. I'd consider getting a copy of Win98 or 95 and dual booting, running the old Atomic games under 98.

For all of the W@W series goto www.the-underdogs.org
zakblood

RE:

Post by zakblood »

an old post i know, but for anyone who wants to play any old dos game,or any tbh, i can help you you want the info just ask.

for the thread starter HitMan52, the answer is a dosbox program, i use dosbox game launcher v0.77 which is a standard dos box program with a nice gui, front end, easy to setup and it's free, nearly all games of that age have been released as abandonware so can be got for free, some great titles to play if you like.

i own a i7 4960X with 16gb of ram, 2x256gb solid state drives with 4 tb of backup on WD raptors running windows 8.1 pro 64bit....

the v for victory series had 4 games, i own the lot,
V for Victory: D-Day Utah Beach (1991)
V for Victory: Gold Juno Sword (1992)
V for Victory: Market Garden (1993)
V for Victory: Velikiye Luki (1993)

or from the same makers, also owned,

World at War: Operation Crusader (1994)

plus many many others, never beat market garden tbh, a great game and challenge for it's day and for me it was the best in the series, but then again i do like that battle, played it to death on most formats over many years.

Airborne Assault: Red Devils Over Arnhem was good, but if you can find Arnhem is a first entry in R. T. Smith's World War II trilogy, including Desert Rats and Vulcan it's well worth the search and time.

for the time the games are very good, not as good looking as todays which are far larger in size and budget, as many only had a few working on them, but i try and buy as many as i can find as i play and collect all wargames, far too many boxes in the loft now days :)

have fun, and keep playing (wargames and sims forever)
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
ab067

RE: RE:

Post by ab067 »

I just discovered dosbos.

It is simple to use, runs all my old dos games on win xp and supports the mouse.

I had to adjust the resolution in the display settings to find a comfortable size to play the games.

Return to “Highway to the Reich”