Eindhoven Historical Scenario

Panther Games' Highway to the Reich revolutionizes wargaming with its pausable, continuous time game play and advanced artificial intelligence. Command like a real General, under real time pressures to achieve real objectives on a real map all within the fog of war. Issue orders to your powerful AI controlled subordinates or take total control of every unit. Fight the world's most advanced AI opponent or match wits against your friends online or over a LAN. Highway to the Reich covers all four battles from Operation Market Garden, including Arnhem, Nijmegen, Eindhoven and the 30th Corps breakout from Neerpelt.

Moderator: Arjuna

springel

Eindhoven Historical Scenario

Post by springel »

Today I played this long scenario and I had an awful lot of fun.

I thought it was really going well, got control of the highway early on (except Uden, which I conquered a bit later), lost no major highway bridges and although it was pretty tough in the Northern sector, the XXX Corps forces functioned well as fire brigades, and they brought home some neat spoiling attacks into the flanks of major German operations.

So I was a bit surprised when I saw the AAR:

Where did the Germans earn all those VP's? Are the secondary bridges worth that much?
Lieste

RE: Eindhoven Historical Scenario

Post by Lieste »

Look at the Victory schedule - I bet the German VL are not a direct mirror of the Allies (or they get lots for unit destruction). In any case, both sides appear to have 'fully accomplished their mission' so a draw in these circumstances still means you have done well - just failed to interfere with his plans as well.

It could be that the MSR needs to be fully secured to deny German Occupation points for example, while the Allies get them for 'each node' secured.

I don't have this title to check these speculations for you though.

If this result seems unlikely based on your assessment of the scenario and what you would assess as mission accomplishment, then it might be as simple as too high a margin between available points and those required for 100% accomplishment.
springel

Post by springel »

I have looked at the scenario from the German side in the mean time, and the victory locations are the same, but they have much larger values for the Germans.
And they do earn quite a lot of points for the secondary and rail bridges that I ignored because I had an open highway. Historically this would not have been of value, but I guess it is hard to assign the victory objectives such that they reflect just the possession of the highway, when there may have been detours because of blown bridges.

JeffroK

Post by JeffroK »

Up to about day 6 of this scenario, Allies handling the AI attacks quite handily.

15/19 Hussars have been up and down the main highway a few times, all the bridges are mine.

VP are a bit odd, I blew the Best road bridge to keep my flank safe, IMHO the VP should stop at this point unless someone rebuilds the bridge as the location is now worthless.

107 Pz Bde tried to get into Eindhoven, the DCLI has kept them out with 1/506 Para & 15/19 Hussars supporting.

The attacks I assumed from the Best region havent occured, yet.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

Return to “Highway to the Reich”