Virtual, mini “Staff Ride”: Martelange, May 10th 1940

Panther's War College is a venue to learn and share with fellow gamers the
command skills required to make you a great Panther Games armchair general.

Moderators: Arjuna, Real and Simulated Wars

Real and Simulated Wars

Virtual, mini “Staff Ride”: Martelange, May 10th 1940

Post by Real and Simulated Wars »

Scenario 1, featured in PWC’s first module “Tactical Reconnaissance” is loosely inspired in the assault of the town of Martelange, Belgium, by the 1st Panzer Division.

The campaign Germany unleashed against France in 1940 is one of few clear examples of the so-called “blitzkrieg”. The details of this campaign at the operational level can be checked out in the widely available literature. Here, we will provide a few considerations which are important to understand a combat vignette of one of the tactical battles that was pivotal for the success of the German Army.

The Belgian forces in the Ardennes consisted of two light infantry divisions under the command of General Maurice Keyaerts. One of these divisions consisted of three infantry regiments of Chasseurs Ardennais. These light Belgian forces had the mission of delaying the German advance towards the Meuse river. General Keyaerts planned to accomplish this mission by a system of obstacles covered by relatively long range fires. However, he had some 85 kilometers of front to cover and never intended to defend all obstacles with substantial firepower. Besides, the Chasseur Ardennais were an extremely light force, with bicycles for transportation and some four machine guns per company. In some cases they would boost their firepower with a T-13 armored vehicle, which featured a 47mm main gun.

Right at the border between Belgium and Luxemburg lies the town of Martelange. This town was defended by the 4th Company, 2nd Battalion, 1st Regiment of the Chasseurs Ardennais with a series of pillboxes and fortified houses. The defense also featured a small minefield, and demolition charges placed along probable routes of advance.

The operational deployment plan of the German forces in the Ardennes was a recipe for disaster. Granted, the Ardennes is restrictive terrain, but its road network was relatively well developed. During the planning phase of the operation, there were bitter fights between General von Kleist (commander of a Panzer Group) and Generals List and Busch, commanders of the infantry armies that were to follow the tanks through the Ardennes. Everybody wanted guaranteed ownership over roads. As a result, the headquarters of Army Group A gave PzGrp Kleist (with a total of 41,140 vehicles, including tanks, trucks and others) only four roads for its advance. To make things worse, the headquarters of Army Group A, refused von Kleist’s request to spearhead the advance on these four roads with two Panzer Corps and he had to deploy his Panzer Group in echelons rather than in wings. This resulted in a operational deployment plan in which forces would make contact with the enemy in a piecemeal fashion and on restrictive terrain that favored the defenders.

On the first day of the campaign, the 1st Panzer Division was to advance via Martelange and Bodange towards the city of Neufchateau. The timetable for days ahead was tough, there was no room for mistakes or delays. Staff officers carried enough doses of Pervitin to keep all the drivers awake for as much as three days if necessary. The forward detachment of the 1st Panzer Division consisted of two motorcycle (Krad) companies (3rd Coy of the 1st Motorcycle Battalion and the 3rd Coy of the 4th Reconnaissance Battalion) plus 3 armored cars from the 4th Reconnaissance Battalion. One could ask why a second motorcycle company that was not organic to the 4th Reconnaissance Battalion was reinforcing the advance detachment. Vintage German doctrinal publications stressed that during marches “readiness for action must be the primary focus” and suggested the “formation of combined arms elements” and the “selection of suitable order of march”. Given the terrain of the Ardennes, it is not surprising that the spearhead of the 1st Panzer Division was centered around infantry rather than armored forces.

Part of the German advance detachment arrived at Martelange around 07:45 in May 10th 1940. One of the motorcycle companies halted at a destroyed bridge across the Sauer river. The armored reconnaissance cars which were advancing in a parallel road drew fire from Martelange. A few minutes later, Oberstleutnant Balck, commander of the 1st Rifle Regiment arrived at the scene and ordered the halted motorcycle company to cross the river and clear the enemy off the hill they were holding northwest of Martelange. The best way to describe this attack order is suicidal: cross a river under fire and attack an entrenched enemy uphill, frontally and without fire support (no tanks, artillery or air support). By this time, a Belgian T-13 tank had pinned down the three armored cars making them unavailable to support the infantry. Surprised by this wild frontal assault, many Belgians ran from their prepared positions, forcing the whole company to withdraw around 10:30.

Attachments
Martelange.jpg
Martelange.jpg (389.49 KiB) Viewed 497 times
Rooster

RE: Virtual, mini “Staff Ride”: Martelange, May 10th 1940

Post by Rooster »

Nice post Chelco - can you please post the KLM file for Google Earth - the illustration you provided is excellent!  I'd like to have a closer look at the town and terrain.

Dan
Hoplomachia

Post by Hoplomachia »

Chelco,

Very interesting as I was not aware that you had taken the first scenario from actual events. Perfect!
The German attack shown here at Martelange is more or less head-on with no refinery whatsoever. Suicidal? Maybe...
Remember that the German Army had studied beforehand the military capabilities of the countries they attacked and I think that is why we see such tactical behaviour here. They simply had only contempt of the fighting ability of the Belgian Army. And here it seems they were right...
In general this meant that the Germans would use this analysis to calculate the amount of men and materiel needed to complete the task at hand.
Other engagements showed that their faulty analysis sometimes could bring military operations in serious trouble and only be saved by using 'unconventional' methods.

Leonidas

Real and Simulated Wars

Ey Rooster!

The posted image is a screenshot of GE displaying a series of image overlays and custom placemarks. It is an unhandy, ugly thing to keep under "My Places". I was wondering if there is a way to consolidate them, but I couldn't find any. My abilities with GE are quite limited. [:o]

I attached a KML file to this post. It is for Martelange, Belgium. Just change the ".txt" extension to ".kml" after downloading.

Let me know if it works, Rooster. And if you have any ideas on how to consolidate all the placemarks and image overlays into just one thing, I would be grateful.

Thanks in advance,

Julio

Attachments
MartelangeBelgium.txt
(1.58 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
Real and Simulated Wars

Hi Michael!

That pretty much can explain this crazy attack.
In that sense, I can only imagine the Germans desperation when the Belgians holded them for almost 8 hours just 3 kilometers down the road! (Bodange)
One thing that also comes to my mind is that tactical finesse is sometimes prety much absent from battle.

Pergite!

Post by Pergite! »

Great graphics and most of all great research! [&o]

Simplicity and Offensive Action, two of the principles of war. Sometimes that is all it takes.
kneecaps

Post by kneecaps »

ORIGINAL: Hoplomachia

Suicidal? Maybe...
Remember that the German Army had studied beforehand the military capabilities of the countries they attacked and I think that is why we see such tactical behaviour here. They simply had only contempt of the fighting ability of the Belgian Army. And here it seems they were right...

I'm doubtful a move like that was planned or even thought through in a rational sense. Nobody could REALLY know that the Belgians would turn and run. That Krad company could have just as easily been cut down attempting that assault. Its wasn't a calculated risk, it was a reckless gamble!
Hoplomachia

Post by Hoplomachia »

I'm doubtful a move like that was planned or even thought through in a rational sense. Nobody could REALLY know that the Belgians would turn and run. That Krad company could have just as easily been cut down attempting that assault. Its wasn't a calculated risk, it was a reckless gamble!

I am not so sure there is a difference between a calculated risk and a reckless gamble.
Its just a question of odds...

If we say that the Germans at that time considered themselves the unmatched military might of Europe (which was true), then the odds seems definately better.
Attacks like these happened all through Fall Gelb, so this incident is not unique. And Fall Gelb was a German victory after all.
Sometimes the attacking German grunts were cut down, but that was accepted and especially with the rather strict timetable these units were on in this offensive.

Leonidas

kneecaps

Post by kneecaps »

ORIGINAL: Hoplomachia

Sometimes the attacking German grunts were cut down, but that was accepted and especially with the rather strict timetable these units were on in this offensive.

Attacks like these happened all through Fall Gelb, so this incident is not unique. And Fall Gelb was a German victory after all.

Its interesting that 'Blitzkrieg' which is almost the epitome manoeuvre warfare seems to have frequently carried out by attrition.
Hoplomachia

Post by Hoplomachia »

Its interesting that 'Blitzkrieg' which is almost the epitome manoeuvre warfare seems to have frequently carried out by attrition.

I think you are absolutely right, Kneecaps.

High own losses were not top priority with the Axis propaganda machine.

Leonidas

Real and Simulated Wars

Great discussion.

You guys make very good points. Keep it up.

Just wanted to chime in with a few comments.

On the Belgians will to fight.
I would guess the Germans knew they were facing light infantry. And that the opposition was fighting a delaying action too.
Other thing comes to my mind: a few kilometers west, a sibling company (5th Company, 2nd Battalion, 1st Regiment of the Chasseurs Ardennais) was defending the town of Bodange and they put out a fight that almost derails 1stPzDiv's timetable for the whole day (the Germans got stranded there for 8 hours IIRC). Interestingly, the 5th Company had a communications breakdown with their BnHQ (a demolition charge blew a cable, IIRC) and never received an explicit order to withdraw. In any case, the 5th Company stopped cold the lavishly equipped 1st PzDiv. The Belgians were fine warriors too.

On tactical finesse.
The commander of the atypical raid on Martelange was Hermann Balck. He was a leader of sorts. I find relevant to mention one snippet of his in a post-war interview about the Russian military style he and vonMellenthin held with a panel of NATO generals. When Balck was asked if it was true that the Russians during WWII attacked in very specific, geometrically-driven formations disregarding terrain, he answered: "occasionally that use of terrain may be replaced by speed" adding later that the Russians "were quite good at it". Then, when asked when it was more difficult to fight out the Russians he answered that they were very difficult to fight when they emphasized speed.
Certainly, disregarding terrain is a capital tactical sin that is somewhat irrelevant to this discussion, but after reading that interview I am left with the impression that speed and the surprise that it ensues are great equalizers.

On blitzkrieg, maneuver warfare and attrition.
Did the Germans really practiced maneuver warfare?
Regarding maneuver warfare and its contrast with attrition warfare, I more or less followed the topic for some years. I read my Lind, Leonhard and Simpkin. All good reads. However, they usually refer to the (borrowing the title from Citino's book) "the German way of war". But then it is clear that WWII German military thinking aches for a "huge Cannae" or massive battles of annihilation (after encircling the enemy). The battle of annihilation is Clausewitz's thinking, pure and simple. It doesn't get more attritionist than that. WTH?
Utterly confused. What's your take on this?

Julio

Hoplomachia

Post by Hoplomachia »

The Belgians were fine warriors too.

No doubt about that. You might compare this to a boxing match where the 'superior' boxer thinks he has an easy walk-over match before him, then he gets punched really hard and is actually even worse off than if he had expected an equal match.
Certainly, disregarding terrain is a capital tactical sin that is somewhat irrelevant to this discussion, but after reading that interview I am left with the impression that speed and the surprise that it ensues are great equalizers.

In this case I think it was paramount to the outcome, but difficult to master. As a sidenote, apart from local superiority I guess the Fallschirmjäger tactics was build around this idea.
But then it is clear that WWII German military thinking aches for a "huge Cannae" or massive battles of annihilation (after encircling the enemy). The battle of annihilation is Clausewitz's thinking, pure and simple. It doesn't get more attritionist than that.

'The battle of annihilation' would be comparable to Napoleons idea of the destruction of the main body of the enemy army. As you write there is not necessarily much maneuver in that, but again in every strategic/tactical situation there is a lot a factors that contribute to the eventual choice of method. I would say that your options might be considered to be proportional with the available time and space at hand. In Fall Gelb neither time nor space was abundant in the Low Countries.
The Germans had their 'Cannae' at Dunkerque, but other factors negated annihilation of the enemy army.

Leonidas

Return to “Panther War College”