Battleaxe/Brevity Scenario

Your place to ask about and discuss scenario design and modding.

Moderator: Arjuna

GShock

RE: Battleaxe/Brevity Scenario

Post by GShock »

Is this going to be El Alamein? 
How long will you pretend you can't do anything about it? Support www.animalsasia.org
Prince of Eckmühl

Post by Prince of Eckmühl »

ORIGINAL: GShock

Is this going to be El Alamein? 

Sorry, but no. There is, as yet, no estab data for 1942 UK/CM/IT/GE.

Beyond that, Gazala and the Alamein battles were highly positional in nature, featuring the extensive, sometimes massive, use of minefields. As of now, we can adapt terrain to simulate the effects of minefields on movement, but there's no way to clear them.

All in good time, I suppose. [:)]

As to the map that I posted above with the swirling blue and red arrows, it's largely focused on the fighting around a tomb called Gabr Saleh. The Allies concentrated their armour there thinking that the Afrika Korps would show up, whereupon, the latter would be destroyed. Before the German armour could arrive, however, two out of three Allied cruiser brigades were sent off on other missions and the Allied concentration essentially desolved.

When the the first AK elements did show up in the afternoon, they found a dispersed British 4th Armoured Bde chasing enemy scout cars hither and yon. "Kampfgruppe Stephan" beat up the 3rd Hussars pretty badly before night fell, but the day's fighting ended with the "Black Rats" still largely intact. The next day, 11-20-42, the 4th's Stuarts would face off with the better part of two Panzer Divisions, the Allied plan for a decisive "clash of armour" having come completely apart.

Can the British survive?[;)]

Edit: In reference to the estab data, there actually is some, but it's very limited in terms of its ability to cover the 1942/43 fighting in North Africa.
Government is the opiate of the masses.
RedMike

Post by RedMike »

As I understand it, the future Panther North Africa game will cover 1942 onwards. But that's down the road a piece.

RedMike
Hannibal ad portas
RedMike

Post by RedMike »

OK...here's my disastrous first go as CW in Brevity. Pretty brutal!

Attachments
opBrevity_cw.jpg
opBrevity_cw.jpg (182.42 KiB) Viewed 412 times
Hannibal ad portas
Prince of Eckmühl

RedMike,

I'd already made some changes to the victory condition in the Brevity scenario based on my own experiences.

Let me play it again a couple of more times, and then I'll pass the scenario file on to Arjuna.

BTW, minefields aren't included in that scenario, so the map won't change.

RedMike

Post by RedMike »

Roger that, I figured as much. By all means pass it and any other, i.e. Gabr Saleh, and I'll test run 'em for you. Great stuff!

out
Hannibal ad portas
Prince of Eckmühl

ORIGINAL: RedMike

Roger that, I figured as much. By all means pass it and any other, i.e. Gabr Saleh, and I'll test run 'em for you. Great stuff!

out

How were you doing through the end of the second day?

I ask because it's fairly even until then. However, When Esebeck shows up, the Germans can do whatever they want.

IRL, this was really just a two-day battle. I put Esebeck's arrival in (and a third day), to see if the Allies can hold on against his counter-attack.

It also appears that the Axis gets too many airstrikes on the third day!

I ran it twice today, and the best I could get with the Allies was a marginal defeat. At the end of the second day, I had a victory in both games.

Thoughts?
RedMike

Post by RedMike »

I'd have to say pretty even. Then the Germans steam roller over you.

Were you playing as Axis ? I need to see the updated version.
Hannibal ad portas
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

Why don't you add a Favour Allies reinf schedule to the Allied side and include some extra forces. That way you can privde players with an option to balance up the end game.

Now that your flexing your design muscles I can't recommend enough the practice of providing multiple reinf schedules for each of the three options ( standard, favour us, favour them. This way the game has a different mix of forces, arrival locations and timings each time the scenario is played. Three or four per option is good. Six is even better. You can duplicate one of the schedules and then change the locations by dragging these to a different spot on the map. Try it.
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
wodin

Post by wodin »

Any chance you can send me the scenario to play around with?

Thanks

j__rimmer@hotmail.com
parmenio

Post by parmenio »

Is this scenario available anywhere for download at all?
Andy Edmiston
WDS Lead Programmer

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”