Any Good Books on Greek Operations?

Prepare yourself for a wargaming tour-de-force! Conquest of the Aegean is the next generation of the award-winning and revolutionary Airborne Assault series and it takes brigade to corps-level warfare to a whole new level. Realism and accuracy are the watchwords as this pausable continuous time design allows you to command at any echelon, with smart AI subordinates and an incredibly challenging AI.

Moderator: Arjuna

c00k1e

RE: Any Good Books on Greek Operations?

Post by c00k1e »

Any chance we will see a strategy guide like the one for HTTR or is it just too big a campaign for this type of product. I loved the way the SG was written with the wargamer in mind..
Stephen

Why be a cog in the machine, when you can be a spanner in the works...
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

Stephen,

No we have no plans to do a strategy guide for COTA. The main reason being the amount of time required versus the likely return. However, we are working on a concept at the moment that will establish what we call the Panther War College. This will be a special forum ( you'll have to register to post ) that will focus on the strategy and tactics of playing COTA. It will be like a workshop of peers, where members can discuss what works and doesn't and we will from time to time post articles and AARs designed to stimulate discussion on strategy and tactics. More later.[:)]
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
Deathtreader

Post by Deathtreader »

Great Idea!!!!!!!! [:)]

Rob.
So we're at war with the Russkies eh?? I suppose we really ought to invade or something. (Lonnnng pause while studying the map)
Hmmmm... big place ain't it??
- Sir Harry Flashman (1854)
ChrisGer

Post by ChrisGer »

ORIGINAL: Arjuna
However, we are working on a concept at the moment that will establish what we call the Panther War College. This will be a special forum ( you'll have to register to post ) that will focus on the strategy and tactics of playing COTA. It will be like a workshop of peers, where members can discuss what works and doesn't and we will from time to time post articles and AARs designed to stimulate discussion on strategy and tactics. More later.[:)]

In what way does this differ from the curent forum (other than simply opening up a new subsection)? Registration is required as it is, and in the AAR section it is common to discuss strategy and tactics.

Cheers,
Chris
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

We're tossing around ideas at the moment. I'll get back to you once we've thrashed out the details.
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
GoodGuy

Post by GoodGuy »

Interactive solutions would be cool here (like let's say tiny flash movies)...

I could imagine a mix of Judge's AAR-style and my style:
J's AARs are detailed and he keeps posting several zoom levels, to go into detail on several aspects/formations in the specific area........
My graphical approach, trying to create something that contains some eye candy to make it more user friendly.......while still maintaining a good detail level regarding events.

Such a war college would need one subpage on the COTA site only, and discussions could be held in this forum here......alternatively, a simple forum/guestbook on the same subpage (next to the swf or the link to the swf) with login.

My 2 cents.
"Aw Nuts"
General Anthony McAuliffe
December 22nd, 1944
Bastogne

---
"I've always felt that the AA (Alied Assault engine) had the potential to be [....] big."
Tim Stone
8th of August, 2006
Robin le guetteur

Post by Robin le guetteur »

Some photos and a good map here :

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Battle_for_Crete

For the map in high resolution, here :
http://www.dean.usma.edu/history/web03/ ... p%2018.htm

[;)]

HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

While it has only one chapter on Crete, Infantry Aces, by Franz Kurowski (the Stackploe Military History series) includes the story of the exploits of Erich Lepkowski, a paratrooper on Crete. He was captured and rescued thre times over the course of the battle! It's great read.
Hans

Dietl

Post by Dietl »

As the division features in the game

Gebirgsjäger zwischen Kreta und Murmansk by Karl Ruef. The divisional history of the 6 Gebirgs Division. It includes a detailed account of the division's operations in Greece and a smaller section on those divisional units involved in Crete.

Das gelbe edelweiss by Andreas Weinberger (published 1943) A wartime published book about the 6 Gebirgs Divisions history up until 1943.
JeffroK

Post by JeffroK »

Mark of the Lion by Kenneth Sandford.

A biography of Charles Upham VC & Bar who fought in Greece & Crete
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
Llyranor

Post by Llyranor »

That's a lot of material there. If I were to only get 1-2 books in order to represent Greece/Crete from both the soldiers' perspective and the higher level of command/operational perspective, with also adequate details re: OOBs/maps/operations, and perhaps also discussing re: the strategic importance of Malta during the war - also while trying to portray both sides of the conflict, which ones would you recommend?

Should I get one Greece book and one Crete, or is there one (or more) that represents them properly?

Thanks!
mikeCK

Post by mikeCK »

http://www.borders.com/online/store/Tit ... 1844155579

Here you go...brand new book on the operations in Crete.
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

Don't forget that Churchill spends a good amount of time talking about Greek Operations in his 6 Volume World War Two set.  It provides some nice original letters and communications as well as Churchill's predilection for getting involved here...

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
Llyranor

Post by Llyranor »

Small bump.

I already have Greece and Crete 1941 by Buckley, as well as Beevor's Crete: The Battle and the Resistance.

What I'm interested in now is a book that'll showcase more details re: the battles in Greece (vs Italy, vs Germany). One that has some good detailed maps would be nice.

Thanks!

Return to “Conquest of the Aegean”